Do you want to join a fantastic catering team, working on a beautiful nature reserve? RSPB
Leighton Moss cafe, in Silverdale, near Carnforth, is recruiting for a part-time Catering
Assistants to join the team.
Leighton Moss is a flagship RSPB reserve in the Arnside and Silverdale Area of Outstanding
Natural Beauty. The reserve is home to fantastic wildlife including marsh harriers, bittern and
otters. As part of the catering team you’ll be at the heart of the action in the visitor
centre, serving some of our 100’000 visitors per year with the ethically sourced food on our
menu. Your hard work in the café will help us generate income which the RSPB can use to help
For more information about Leighton Moss reserve please see here.
As Catering Assistant at RSPB Leighton Moss, you will:
- Assist with the day to day operation of the busy Leighton Moss café
- Work as part of a motivated and passionate team of staff and volunteers
- Deliver the highest standard of customer care
- Serve customers, handle cash and use the till system
- Prepare and serve high-quality food and drink
- Maintain stock levels
- Clear tables and wash up
- Maintain high hygiene standards and follow all food safety and cleaning guidelines
- A salary set by the Living Wage Foundation – £9.90 – £10.98 per hour at time of
advertising, due to increase to £10.90 for starting salary from April 2023.
- Opportunity to join a great team working at one of the most beautiful nature reserves in
- A contract that suits you;
- An annual volunteer day either with the RSPB or another charity of your choosing;
- 34 days’ annual leave pro-rata (including 8 bank holidays)
- Career progression opportunities within Europe’s largest conservation charity;
- 20% Discount at all RSPB retail outlets
- Cycle to work scheme.
Essential skills, knowledge and experience:
- Enthusiastic approach to work,
- Good understanding of the principals of food hygiene;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Problem-solving skills and ability to work on own initiative;
- Ability to manage and respond to customer needs and feedback;
- Working in target driven/pressured environment;
- Ability to work as part of a team.
Desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Experience of working at a café/bar/pub;
- Till operation and payment handling;
- Knowledge of food and food service skills;
- Computer skills.
The café is open from 9.30 am – 5 pm, seven days a week, only closing on Christmas Day. The
successful candidate will need to be available to work shifts from 9 am-5.15 pm and must be
available to work regular weekends and bank holidays.
This 22.5-hour-a-week contract will typically be spread over 3 x 7.5-hour days, with the
possibility for additional shifts during busier periods.
We will invite candidates for taster shifts and further interviews as we receive
applications and reserve the right to close this vacancy should sufficient applications be
received. For all application/role enquiries please get in touch with
As part of this application, you will be asked to provide a copy of your CV and complete a
We are committed to developing an inclusive and diverse RSPB, in which everyone
feels supported, valued, and able to be their full selves. To achieve our vision of creating a
world richer in nature, we need more people on nature’s side and more diverse people. People of
colour and disabled people are underrepresented across the environment, climate,
sustainability, and conservation sectors. If you identify as a person of colour and/or
disabled, we are particularly interested in receiving your application. Contact us to discuss
any additional support you may need to complete your application.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of
Offenders Act 1974.
Find out more & apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this job posting.