Chief Revenue Officer
Global, Various locations
The Rainforest Alliance is creating a more sustainable world by using social and market forces to protect nature and improve the lives of farmers and forest communities. To achieve our mission, we partner with diverse allies around the world to drive positive change across global supply chains and in many of our most critically important natural landscapes.
Our alliance is both broad and deep, spanning 70 countries and millions of people, including farmers and forest communities, companies, governments, civil society, and engaged and passionate individuals. Together with our partners we are all-in, working to protect forests and biodiversity, take action on climate, and promote the rights and improve the livelihoods of rural people.
And because we work with 5000+ companies across the globe and are the leading certification program in cocoa, coffee, and tea, among others, our brand is highly recognized and valued by citizens and corporate partners around the world, and embodies the commitment to positive change that all companies will need to succeed in the future.
As an international nonprofit organization with more than 35 years of experience in sustainability transformation, we understand that the social and economic well-being of rural communities is tightly connected to ecosystem health. This knowledge has shaped our rigorous programs to advance sustainable land-use and commodity production.
At the Rainforest Alliance we combat climate change, protect forests and biodiversity, promote human rights, and improve livelihoods. The enormity of the social and environmental challenges we are facing requires working together in a broad alliance. This is why we bring farmers, forest communities, companies, and consumers together to change the way the world produces, sources, and consumes.
To protect nature and improve lives it’s becoming increasingly urgent that we approach the way we use our land and produce food and other products in more sustainable ways. For this to succeed we need to fundamentally change the way that businesses operate and source, and the choices we all make as consumers.
The Rainforest Alliance encourages diversity and inclusion across the global organization. With this commitment to diversity, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ages, disability, and any other protected group.
We are looking for a dedicated and passionate Chief Revenue Officer to join our Leadership Team, where you will be responsible for all revenue-generating elements within the organization. You will successfully achieve this by unleashing the resources required for the Rainforest Alliance to achieve its transformative mission. The position will integrate diverse revenue channels to unlock maximum leverage between our corporate business revenue model (Royalties), with Private and Public funding through bi-laterals and multi-laterals, Strategic Philanthropy, Institutional Relations and individual support and partnerships.
As part of the organizations Leadership Team, and reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Chief Revenue Officer will lead teams across Corporate Engagement & Partners, Individual Philanthropy, Institutional Relations, and Research & Revenue Operations. In this role, the Chief Revenue Officer will centralize the Rainforest Alliance’s value propositions across our programs and channels, leading all aspects of the organization’s touchpoints with revenue sources.
Rainforest Alliance’s ambitious 2023-2030 strategy will rely heavily on a centralized revenue engine, consisting of multifaceted fundraising and business engagement capabilities to generate the rich partnerships and revenue required to establish and implement our mission with speed and at scale.
Through detailed research, influential engagement and compelling value proposition design, the Chief Revenue Officer will be accountable for developing a progressive revenue strategy, driving companies, donors and investors, towards greater commitment, and elevating producer and community value.
- Lead, grow and develop our funding base across our corporate business revenue model, Private and Public funding, Strategic Philanthropy, Institutional Relations and individual support and partnerships;
- Lead the organization to develop and grow revenue across funding channels and in line with Rainforest Alliance’s 2023 2030 organizational Strategy;
- Lead business development teams focused on increasing revenues and building partnerships with public and private funding, strategic philanthropy, institutional and individual donors, corporate business revenue, and fee for service;
- Develop a revenue strategy anchored to Rainforest Alliance’s strategic ambitions, integrating revenue streams to maximize leverage and expand relationships across channels;
- Manage a portfolio of high-value philanthropic relationships, including Rainforest Alliance’s Board of Directors;
- Link the realization of impact and value creation for businesses, through integrating the Rainforest Alliance’s certification and landscape approach;
- Lead all aspects of revenue-generating channels; develop & implement strategy on Rainforest Alliance’s existing and new revenue lines, identifying potential growth areas for Rainforest Alliance revenue;
- Craft coordinated, compelling & consistent value propositions and engagement strategies across channels (companies, investors, government, multi-laterals, coalitions, philanthropists, Board and foundations);
- Lead interactions with business & corporate partnerships; support the customer journey to craft the agenda of corporates; drive greater investments through demonstrating value of Rainforest Alliance’s programs & conducting proactive boardroom consultancy;
- Responsible for integrated revenue sources, coordinate on shared responsibility on Annual Fund with Marketing, and on corporate royalties with Data & Global Programs;
- Lead, champion and facilitate cross-departmental collaboration within the Revenue unit but also outside Revenue to ensure alignment and efficiency across the organization and improve our impact. For example: Marketing and Communications team using brand material to develop stronger value propositions to donors & companies, while providing inputs on insight of corporate agendas; Growth & Innovation team on innovation toolkits & guidance to use in partnership approaches & understand insights on alliances portfolio; Data & Tech to gather inputs of product portfolio & cost structure for packaging of value proposition & pricing;
- Coordinate with Landscapes & Communities Team, to confirm resource availability & timeline of execution from requests of corporate demand, for existing products.
- Master/MBA degree in business, sustainability or a related field;
- Proven track record (15+ years) in diverse leadership roles (preferably C-level), driving and implementing revenue growth;
- Extensive experience with complex sales, relationship building, corporate affairs or marketing;
- Experience in implementing an integrated revenue engine, building corporate revenue streams alongside philanthropic funding;
- Experience developing high-value public-private partnerships, including knowledge of blended finance and non-traditional revenue vehicles;
- Successful track record of growing revenue through various methods such as creating and building alliances and partnerships;
- Successfully created, developed and lead a robust multi-revenue sources pipeline through cultivation and engagement (between $100m-$500m annual revenue budget);
- Successfully achieved and implemented transformational strategies and systems design for cross-sector collective action;
- High-level commercial savvy, business modelling and value creation experience;
- Inspirational leadership style and hands-on approach effective and trustworthy;
- Ability to craft and implement a business development strategy effectively;
- Excellent communication skills in English, speaking, presentation and creative writing;
- Excellent social skills with ability to interact culturally, linguistically, and respectfully with diverse internal and external audiences; and
- Ability to travel 10-20% per year, nationally and internationally.
Job LEVEL: LT
Commensurate with experience.
Only candidates authorized to work in the locations in which we are registered will be considered.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this job posting.