Academic & Student Support Services
Managerial, Professional and Specialist Staff – MPSS
College Education Officer AHSS/BLS/PSE
This role is based within Student Operations but is responsible for assisting the wider Registry Operations develop strong working relationships with key contacts in the Schools and Colleges. You will assist with the design and delivery of process supporting the student lifecycle.
We are looking for a proactive individual who is an excellent communicator, a problem solver and highly organised with the ability to cope with competing demands and priorities.
The role will suit someone who enjoys a varied task load and will thrive in a busy, enthusiastic team.
Cardiff University offers many excellent benefits, including 37 days annual leave (plus bank holidays) pro-rata for part-time hours, pension scheme, blended working (meaning you will be able to work from home for some of your time), a cycle to work scheme and other travel initiatives, annual increments up the pay scale, and more. It is an exciting and vibrant place to work, with many different challenges and is a proud Living Wage supporter.
This is a full-time (35 hours per week), fixed-term post available until 31 July 2025.
Salary: £29,762 – £34,314 per annum (Grade 5).
For more information on work-life balance, financial benefits, development, and wellbeing, and some of the facilities and services on offer to staff at Cardiff University please visit https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/jobs/what-we-can-offer
Date advert posted: Thursday, 25 May 2023
Closing date: Sunday, 11 June 2023
Please be aware that Cardiff University reserves the right to close this vacancy early should sufficient applications be received.
Cardiff University is committed to supporting and promoting equality and diversity and to creating an inclusive working environment. We believe this can be achieved through attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse range of staff from many different backgrounds. We therefore welcome applicants from all sections of the community regardless of sex, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, trans identity, relationship status, religion or belief, caring responsibilities, or age. In supporting our employees to achieve a balance between their work and their personal lives, we will also consider proposals for flexible working or job share arrangements.
- To provide a link between the relevant College and Registry Operations.
- Liaise with and work in partnership with the Student Operations Manager, College Education Managers and other Registry Operations Managers to support and advise on areas to be enhanced in processes used by schools and colleges, to review the customer service and to recommend areas for continuous improvement.
- Be the first point of contact for schools and develop effective communication processes to understand their requirements, translate them into tangible policies and procedures to support and improve Registry Operations processes which enhance the student operations management. Continually, monitoring data quality, provide expert and technical advice to schools/colleges, providing guidance on regulations, processes and procedures as required.
- Proactively provide a customer services approach which assesses the requirements of the customers, provides appropriate levels of support, and reflects the Registry values and behaviours.
- Support Registry Operations Managers to review and process special student cases in accordance with the Regulations and in conjunction with College Deans and appropriate College and University Committees.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide professional advice and guidance on Student Operation processes and procedures to internal and external customers, using judgement and creativity to suggest the most appropriate course of action where appropriate, and ensuring complex and conceptual issues are understood.
- Investigate and analyse specific issues within the College creating recommendation reports to enhance the student experience. Ensure that the provision of customer service excellence is delivered to the University, proactively changing the delivery according to customer requirements.
- Collaborate with others to make recommendations for developments of established processes and procedures.
- Establish working relationships with key contacts, developing appropriate communication links with the University’s Schools/Directorates and outside bodies as required.
- Create specific working groups from colleagues across the University to achieve College and Registry objectives.
- Supervise specific project teams on an occasional basis to accomplish key objectives.
- Develop and deliver training as required.
- Undertake a variety of administrative duties to support the department.
- Instruct and guide other employees across the University in relation to improvements and revised processes and procedures.
- Ensure that an understanding of the importance of confidentiality is applied when undertaking all duties.
- Abide by University policies on Health and Safety and Equality and Diversity.
- Perform other duties occasionally which are not included above, but which will be consistent with the role.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO BE ABLE TO PERFORM THIS ROLE (PERSON SPECIFICATION)
There are usually certain skills, qualifications, or experiences that any employee should have before they can be considered for a role. Some of these will be essential and you would not be able to perform the role without them, but some are desirable.
It is the University’s policy to use the person specification as a key tool for short-listing. Candidates should evidence that they meet ALL the essential criteria as well as, where relevant, the desirable. As part of the application process, you will be asked to provide this evidence via a supporting statement. You should do your best to show clearly how you meet all the essential criteria by giving examples of how, when and where you have performed the required actions before. You can draw on elements from any aspect of your life, such as education, work, home, or community life, as long as you focus on its relevance in comparison to the needs of this job. Please ensure that the evidence you are providing corresponds with the numbered criteria outlined below. Your application will be considered based on the information you provide under each element.
To start your Supporting Statement, simply copy and paste the next section into a separate document, writing your answers and examples at each point. Save the document with the title YOUR NAME – BR NUMBER – JOB TITLE and attach it to your application on the recruitment system.
Qualifications and Education
1. Degree/NVQ 4 or equivalent Professional membership/experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
2. Experience of working in a Higher or Further Education environment.
3. Able to demonstrate professional working knowledge of academic regulations to give advice and guidance to internal customers.
4. Ability to set up standard office systems and procedures and make improvements as appropriate.
Customer Service, Communication and Team Working
5. Ability to communicate conceptually detailed and complex information effectively and professionally with a wide range of people.
6. Evidence of ability to explore customers’ needs and adapt the service accordingly to ensure a quality service is delivered.
Planning, Analysis and Problem Solving
7. Evidence of ability to solve expansive problems using initiative and creativity, identifying and proposing practical solutions and resolving problems with range of potential outcomes.
8. Evidence of demonstrable knowledge of key advances within Higher Education academic support services.
9. Evidence of ability to work unsupervised to deadlines, planning and setting priorities for own work and that of others and monitoring progress.
10. A willingness to undertake further training and development.
11. Postgraduate/Professional qualification.
12. Fluency in Welsh, written and oral.
As part of the ethos of a customer service environment, the role holder will be expected to demonstrate a flexible approach to delivery of Registry and College objectives.
Management & Executive
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this job posting.