Coastal Prairie Conservancy
- Coastal Prairie Conservancy
- Waller and/or Houston, Texas
- Job Category
- Full time Positions
- $42,000 – $54,000
- Start Date
- Last Date to Apply
- The Conservation Associate works as part of a team to protect farms, ranches and natural areas by working with private landowners in a nine-county region to voluntarily enter conservation easements with the Coastal Prairie Conservancy (CPC).
The Conservation Associate will perform the following principal activities:
• Coordinate and support conservation transactions, including landowner communications, grant applications, due diligence, and real estate closing requirements.
• Become trained and serve as a back-up to the Conservation Director as needed to conduct site visits of potential CPC easement properties, create baseline reports and management plans, generate property maps, and develop conservation easement terms.
• Facilitate community partnerships and relationships with diverse stakeholders including landowners, state and federal wildlife agencies, conservation organizations, real estate developers, hunting organizations, and others.
• Coordinate and support the Texas Coastal Prairie Initiative (www.prairiepartner.org), including project prioritization, partner communications, project screening, NRCS applications, and outreach activities.
• Educate landowners and agencies regarding conservation easements and potential funding opportunities.
• Become trained and serve as a back-up to the Conservation Director as needed to conduct monitoring visits of CPC easement properties.
This is a growth position for an individual interested in landscape conservation. The individual will be trained to apply their natural resource knowledge to permanently conserve lands under the supervision of conservation professionals. The individual serving in this role is expected to assume greater responsibility regarding the management of conservation transactions.
Travel required to visit potential conservation properties, for annual monitoring, and to develop and maintain relationships with agencies, partners, and landowners. Position will be based at Indiangrass Field Office in Waller on the Katy Prairie and/or at CPC offices in Houston and will require regular in person meetings at both offices.
- • Demonstrated interest in land and wildlife conservation.
• Understanding of agricultural operations including livestock grazing.
• Knowledge of prairie and wetland ecology, migratory bird conservation, and farmland protection.
• Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree (advanced degree preferred) in natural resources management, wildlife biology, environmental sciences, agricultural science, land-use planning or similar field.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
• Willingness to work as a team player with an appreciation of the diverse values and interests of others.
• Willingness to work weekends and evenings, as necessary.
• Knowledge of or willingness to learn GIS, Microsoft Office, Landscape, and other software.
• Applicant must have a current driver’s license.
• Applicant must be willing to work in physically demanding conditions and to walk unassisted through difficult terrain.
• Applicant may be required to work some evenings and weekends, as necessary, in all weather conditions to perform essential job duties.
If interested, please send cover letter and resume or statement of qualifications to Elisa Donovan at [email protected]. Candidate will be required to pass background check and provide references upon request. Position will remain open until filled.
The Coastal Prairie Conservancy (CPC) is a 501(c)(3) land trust accredited by the Land Trust Accreditation Commission. As an equal employment opportunity employer, CPC is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. CPC is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, and innovation.
- Contact Person
- Elisa Donovan
- Contact Phone
- Contact eMail
- [email protected]
Bookmark the permalink .
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email – cover/motivation letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this job posting.