The United Nations Workplace for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) has a Centre for Humanitarian Knowledge in The Hague, the Netherlands which is targeted on rising the use and affect of information within the humanitarian sector. The imaginative and prescient is to create a future the place all folks concerned in a humanitarian emergency have entry to the info they want, when and the way they want it, to make accountable and knowledgeable selections. Our help is offered to OCHA employees and companions, with a precedence give attention to places with humanitarian operations.
As a part of OCHA’s Data Administration Department, the Centre’s function is to allow the group to ship on its ambition to be extra data-driven and analytical and to make sure a accountable method to know-how and information administration. The Centre has 4 workstreams: information providers (managing the Humanitarian Knowledge Alternate platform), information accountability, information science, and studying and apply.
The info science workstream is targeted on conducting superior evaluation and creating perception to assist humanitarians anticipate and reply to wants arising from shocks. This work consists of assessing accessible fashions and forecasts, designing set off mechanisms to be used in anticipatory motion frameworks, and offering steerage to assist humanitarians make sense of local weather science and technical language.
The Centre’s information science workforce has supported OCHA’s anticipatory motion frameworks in a dozen international locations, enabling humanitarian organisations to get forward of shocks and mitigate their affect. After a profitable pilot part, OCHA is now trying on the modalities for scaling and mainstreaming anticipatory motion. Within the coming years, the Centre will present technical help to ongoing pilots and new international locations as they’re recognized, whereas additionally serving to to mainstream the experience wanted inside OCHA places of work and with native companions.
The Centre is looking for to recruit a Knowledge Engineer who has the talents and expertise to develop information pipelines, software program libraries, and the underlying infrastructure to help the info science workforce. We’re searching for a candidate who’s conversant in the analytical strategies used within the humanitarian sector, and may assume strategically about easy methods to use information to create worth for disaster response. The fitting candidate has the talents and skills to offer the technical help to the broader workforce and contribute to shaping the event of the technical stack utilized by the Centre. They need to even be self-motivated and in a position to thrive in a global, multidisciplinary workforce.
The Knowledge Engineer will report back to the Knowledge Science Staff Lead beneath the general path of the Lead for the Centre for Humanitarian Knowledge. The incumbent will probably be anticipated to work carefully with the remainder of the Centre workforce, particularly the HDX workforce.
The incumbent will probably be accountable for the next duties however not restricted to:
- Understanding the info workflow of the info science workforce and creating information pipelines to entry datasets usually used.
- Understanding, leveraging and contributing to the prevailing information pipeline structure use by the HDX workforce.
- Designing new analytical instruments and libraries for use for humanitarian motion.
- Sustaining current software program packages and guaranteeing consistency within the analytical instruments utilized by the Centre.
- Assessing the tech stack wants of the info science workforce, proposing options, and implementing them.
- Work with the opposite groups on the Centre to make sure coherence within the adoption of know-how throughout workstreams.
- A complicated college diploma in arithmetic, physics, engineering, laptop science, statistics, economics or a associated subject is required.
- A Bachelor’s diploma with an extra two years of expertise could also be accepted in lieu of a complicated college diploma.
b. Work Expertise
- 5 years of programming expertise in areas like information transformation, pipelines, processing and/or analytics is required.
- 5 years of programming expertise in Python/R and their related libraries (e.g. Pandas, dplyr) is required.
Fascinating: (the next expertise is non-compulsory; candidates who would not have it are welcome to use):
- Distinctive communication expertise, in an effort to clarify your work to non-technical colleagues who will not be conversant in information engineering.
- An understanding of developer instruments akin to Git.
- Expertise in understanding accomplice wants and necessities.
- Abilities in information visualisation and geospatial analytics and related libraries and requirements (e.g. rasterio, proj4).
- Data or expertise within the humanitarian or growth sectors.
- Expertise with local weather information and local weather modelling.
- Fluency in English (learn, write, converse) is required.
- Data of any of the opposite UN official languages is a bonus.
This isn’t a place in UNOPS. UNOPS is solely offering operational help to its accomplice UNOCHA for this recruitment course of. The chosen candidate will probably be a personnel member of UNOCHA beneath its full accountability and salaries and advantages will probably be determined by UNOCHA.
How one can apply
Ship your utility by way of this hyperlink: https://jobs.unops.org/pages/viewvacancy/VADetails.aspx?id=27032#3