Blaney McMurtry LLP
BLANEY MCMURTRY LLP
DIRECTOR OF FINANCE
Why work at Blaney McMurtry LLP?
Blaney McMurtry LLP is a multi-service 120 + lawyer firm, based in the heart of downtown Toronto. For more than sixty-five years, we have helped clients overcome challenges and seize opportunities through our continuing commitment to achieving results and building relationships. We seek exceptional individuals who take pride in their work and know the importance of excellent client service.
Our motto is “Expect the Best” and that goes both ways. At Blaney’s, we value a diverse and inclusive workplace that respects and supports all of our staff. We offer a competitive salary based on experience and paid vacation. Your well-being is very important to us and this is why we offer an excellent benefits package which includes health, dental, as well as an Employee Assistance Program. If you would like to gain new skills, we have abundant training and professional development opportunities to help to achieve your personal and professional goals.
We are recruiting a Director of Finance to join our Finance/Accounting department.
The Director of Finance is responsible for ensuring the efficient operations of the finance team (Accounting/Billing/Collections) and works in closely with and reporting into the COO, providing support to the management team. Responsible for firm-wide financial reporting, general and partnership accounting, partner draws & capital accounts, general ledger, preparation of monthly and year-end financial statements, overseeing the annual budget process, the annual audit, preparation of the firm’s tax filings, managing the Finance/Accounting Team..
- Responsible for managing all Financial, review of GL, HST/GST/VAT filings, cash flows, partners draw & capital accounts, and preparation of a variety or reports and surveys.
- Remains current with GAAP, and tax legislative changes and provide timely directions to finance staff by reviewing work as necessary.
- Works with other Accounting/Billing/Collections Supervisors in developing accounting policies and procedures and managing the day to day operations of each time.
- Provides leadership and directs the team in a fast paced efficient work environment in order to meet deliverables – high-quality, accurate and time-sensitive output.
- Provides ongoing training and developmental opportunities for Finance team members.
- Year-end closing and review of general ledger, coordinate yearend audit with our auditors and review of consolidated audit, work with auditors to complete the audit on a timely basis
- Filing of tax returns for partnership Information Return for Partnership and various entities corporate tax returns.
- Stay up to date with Budgets and Tax changes and advise COO of any potential issues.
- Regular review and monitoring of the existing financial systems and invite feedback from the users.
- Conducts annual team member evaluations. Identifies and clarifies team member development needs and provides mentoring, training and direction.
- Assists with annual budget process, statutory audits and Law Society Filings.
- Performs other related duties as required.
What you’ll bring:
Education & Experience:
- Professional designation in accounting or finance
- Minimum 10 years of experience in a senior managerial role, leading a team of finance professionals
- Law firm experience an asset
- Sound and current knowledge of accounting principles, Partnership Agreements Partnership Tax and Corporate Tax
- Able to meet deadlines and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Excellent analytic and problem solving skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Advanced knowledge of Excel
Interested applicants should apply here. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
If you require any accommodation in the application process, please contact us. Blaney McMurtry is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
We look forward to hearing from you and thank you for your interest.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Vision care
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Supplemental pay types:
- Bonus pay
Work Location: In person
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this job posting.