University of Antwerp
Department: Department of Bioscience Engineering
Let’s shape the future – University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20 000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow’s world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Department of Bioscience Engineering in the Faculty of Sciences is looking for 2 full-time:
doctoral scholarship holders in the field of bioscience engineering
- You will work actively on the preparation and defence of a PhD thesis in the field of bioscience engineering.
- You publish scientific articles related to the research project.
- You will carry out a limited number of teaching, research and service support tasks for the Department of Bioscience Engineering.
- You hold a Master degree in bioscience engineering, related discipline in engineering and/or science, or a master degree in connection to the research lines in the department. Candidates that obtain their master degree before the start of the scholarship can also apply.
- You can demonstrate excellent study results.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision .
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty, university research policies and the Department of Bioscience Engineering.
- You are a motivated person, willing to show commitment to write a doctoral project grant and to apply for an external fellowship (e.g., FWO strategic research fellowships 2023 and 2024).
- You can communicate fluently in English.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- You show a pronounced interest in a research topic linked to the teams of our professors from the bioscience engineering department (professors Karolien De Wael, Siegfried Vlaeminck, Sammy Verbruggen, Siegfried Denys, Sarah Lebeer, Irina Spacova and/or Roeland Samson). The research domains are urban ecology, air quality, microbial solutions, environmental systems analyses, photo-electrocatalysis, sensing, and/or solutions for sustainable cities.
What we offer
- We offer a doctoral scholarship for a period of two years. Following a positive evaluation, the scholarship can be renewed once for another two-year period.
- The planned start date is 15 November 2023.
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for doctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for contract research staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- You will receive ecocheques, internet-connectivity allowance and a bicycle allowance or a full reimbursement of public transport costs for commuting.
- You will do most of your work at campus Groenenborger in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here .
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 16 Augustus 2023 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on the ‘Apply’ button, complete the online application form and be sure to include the following attachments: a motivation letter, your academic CV and a statement that you are willing to look for additional funding.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. A pre-selection will be made from amongst the submitted applications. The further selection procedure is specific to the position and will be determined by the selection panel. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure. The interviews of the candidates, preselected by a selection panel, will take place on the 19th of September or the 25th of September 2023.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to [email protected] . If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact prof. dr. Siegfried Vlaeminck, [email protected] .
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email – cover/motivation letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this job posting.