Assystem Energy & Infrastructure Limited
The UK government has made a pledge to reach carbon neutrality by 2050 and, as such, is pushing
ahead with significant investment in nuclear and renewable energies.
Assystem, as a leading provider of project management, design & construction supervision
services within the nuclear industry, has aligned its own strategy to support this switch to
low-carbon energy, whilst also recognising transport and infrastructure systems to be a major
factor in influencing the outcome of government policy.
By acquiring Schofield Lothian in 2021, Assystem reaffirmed their commitment to the UK’s energy
transition in combining strengths with a long-established provider of consultancy services to
the transport and infrastructure sectors, through the delivery of sustainable performance
improvements within four practice areas: Consents & Engagement; Commercial Management;
Project Management; and Environment & Sustainability.
Prior to operating as ‘Assystem Transport & Infrastructure’, our environmental team had
already made significant steps in developing our capability and expertise within the ecology
discipline and, thanks to continuing success, and with the additional opportunities offered
through the Assystem network, we are in a position build on this solid foundation.
We are looking for an Ecological Team Leader to join our friendly team. You will have gained
some experience in managing junior members of staff and possess sound technical ability in
reviewing reports. The role would involve the opportunity to manage a small team which is
anticipated to grow over the year.
Whilst we do provide services to nationally significant infrastructure projects, we also have a
varied portfolio of smaller projects, working directly for end clients, ranging from single
Preliminary Ecological Appraisals to larger sites requiring multi species surveys.
We would be happy to support individuals in their efforts to further build on our existing
client base and to develop into effective team leaders.
We would be open to applications from Senior or Principal Ecologists who feel ready to embrace
a new challenge.
Roles & responsibilities:
- Directing and managing projects
- Managing the day-to-day workload of our ecology team
- Providing technical guidance and support to the ecology team
- Supervising and mentoring team members
- Providing in-house continuing professional development (cpd) training
- Supporting the Associate Director
- Liaising with clients and other organisations to promote strong working relationships and
- Excellent, proven team management skills, including ability to lead, inspire and develop
- Workload planning and resourcing skills
- Business development skills and ability to win new business and developing new service;
interested in and keen to expand your project management skills and becoming involved in
- Experience of supervision, supporting and management of more junior ecologists including in
their career development
- Hold a Natural England survey licence for bats and have held EPS mitigation licences for
bats or GCN within the last three years
- Proficient at Biodiversity Net Gain metrics
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Proven technical experience
- Excellent report writing and communication skills
- Experience of critically reviewing others work including preliminary ecological appraisal
and protected species survey reports
- Extensive surveying experience including Phase 1/preliminary ecological appraisal and
protected species survey
- Thorough understanding of UK/EU nature conservation legislation and planning policy
- Full membership of the Chartered Institute of Ecology & Environmental Management
- Must be physically fit and be willing and able to able to work in all weather conditions
necessary to carry out collection of data
- Ability to use GIS and be at the forefront of technology
- Be prepared to travel for work
- Flexible on working hours, as there will be some evening and night work; and
- A full UK driving licence
- Pension scheme (8% company contribution / 4% personal contribution)
- 25 days’ paid annual leave + bank holidays + option to buy or sell days
- Professional fees reimbursed
- Flexible working
- Employee referral scheme
For further information regarding this role, please contact Conor Mulligan-Lawton from our
internal recruitment team on 07770 127497. Alternatively, send your CV to
Find out more & apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this internship posting.