Position Title: Education Assistant (3 vacancies)
Duty Station: Doha, Qatar
Classification: General Service Staff, G-5
Type of Appointment:Special short-term graded, Nine Months, with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date:As soon as possible
Closing Date: 22 June 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall supervision of Senior Operations Officer (Transit Centre) and direct supervision of the Programme Officer (Education), the successful candidate will be responsible for supporting the protection team with programme activities by performing the following functions and responsibilities:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Design and implement non-formal educational programs and enhancing educational activities for children and adult beneficiaries on site.
- Ensure that all activities are of high quality, addressing beneficiaries’ interests and needs and promoting inclusion and cultural diversity.
- Ensure that all relevant project data (attendance lists, lesson plans, schedules, etc.) is accurately collected, archived, and updated on a daily and weekly basis, including breakdown reports on age and gender.
- Identify beneficiaries with good teaching skills and support them in organizing peer learning groups, non-formal learning activities and community-based teaching initiatives.
- Collaborate with other project components by setting common goals, timely exchanging information and aligning standards and practices.
- Ensure the implementation of standard operating procedures (SOPs) and project regulations, as developed in the framework of the project.
- Participate in relevant meetings related to the project.
- Regularly evaluate the beneficiaries’ attendance records as well as performance and learning progress.
- Organize one-to-one and group sessions and focus group discussions (FGDs), prepare regular assessments and progress reports, as well as engaging visual presentations and gaps/ risks analysis to evaluate and facilitate project development. Submit relevant data, in compliance with IOM Information Management Standards & procedures.
- Observe and monitor the population during recreational activities, providing feedback to psychosocial team.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in social sciences from an accredited academic university or institute with a minimum of three years relevant working experience.
- Completed high school degree with at least five years of relevant experience.
- Experience working for the United Nations, an official mission, non-governmental organization, or relevant government department a distinct advantage.
- Experience in providing non-formal education activities to children and adults.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills in a multi-cultural setting.
- Strong work ethics and commitment to humanitarian principles.
- Strong organizational, facilitation, communication, writing and presentations skills.
- Ability to draft clearly and concisely reports.
- Good knowledge of Word, Excel, and Internet.
- Strong work ethics and commitment to humanitarian principles.
- Ability to work under time constraints and deadlines in challenging settings.
- Capacity to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from various cultures and professional background.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Dari, Pashto, Farsi, and Arabic is an advantage.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa, and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
How to apply
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM will only accept applications which should include a cover letter (not more than one page), a résumé highlighting the required education and experience, and a duly completed IOM Personal History Form. To access the form, please visit this link (four pages).
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via [email protected] not later than 22 June 2023. Position title and SVN Number (SVN QA 2023 10 – Education Assistant) should be specified in the SUBJECT field.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
No Fees: IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training, or other fee).