United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
The Regional Office for the Near East and North Africa (RNE) leads FAO’s support to countries in the region in transforming their agrifood systems to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). It identifies regional priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development and ensures the planning and implementation of FAO’s strategic response in the region through a multidisciplinary approach. It implements approved programmes and projects, monitors programme implementation, and ensures that they contribute to addressing regional priorities. RNE also advises on the incorporation of regional priorities into the Organization’s Strategic Framework and Programme of Work and Budget.
RNE supports regional policy dialogues, facilitates the emergence of regional partnerships, and supports knowledge exchange, capacity development and resource mobilization for food security, agriculture and rural development in the region. It develops and maintains relations with region-wide institutions including the Regional Economic Integration Organizations (REIOs).
The post is located in the Regional Office for the Near East and North Africa (RNE) in Cairo, Egypt.
The Finance and Budget Assistant coordinates and performs the full range of financial, accounting and budgeting functions. He/she ensures quality, transparency and consistency of data and processes within his/her area of responsibility and contributes to a smooth functioning of the work of the unit.
The Finance and Budget Assistant reports to the Finance and Budget Associate. The incumbent operates independently and takes decisions on work priorities. Supervision received is focused on the quality of work outputs, in particular the meeting of timelines and the quality of advice given to clients. He/she provides guidance and advice to other finance support staff.
The Finance and Budget Assistant works closely with colleagues in the Administrative Support Unit and with client offices in the handling of routine and specialized processes, promoting the effective and efficient delivery of finance-related services.
• Code, record and reconcile accounting transactions;
• Review and authorize as per delegation payments to vendors for goods and services including calculating, inputting and checking payments for correctness and communicating discrepancies to supervisors; verify accuracy of data;
• Process salaries, entitlements, claims, income taxes, etc., according to established guidelines and procedures;
• Brief and assist newly arrived staff, experts and consultants on basic financial procedures and requirements with respect to payments, entitlements, banking and currency provisions and other requirements relating to accounts and finance;
• Prepare detailed cost estimates and other data for use in budget analysis and proposals;
• Generate expenditure reports from computerized information system databases;
• Research/compile financial data; assist in the preparation/finalization of budget performance reports, carrying out preliminary analysis of variances between budgets and actual expenditures;
• Review draft reports, verifying overall accuracy, consistency and uniformity in the presentation; cross-check consistency of figures; drafts/prepares routine correspondence;
• Provide procedural guidance to other finance support staff;
• Perform other duties as required.
Impact of Work
The incumbent’s work impacts directly on the efficient provision of specialized finance, accounting and budget-related services. He/ she plays a lead role in the provision of financial support services for successful achievement of the organizational unit’s mandate.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
Education: Secondary School Education.
Experience: Four years of relevant experience in finance and budget-related support work.
Languages: Working knowledge (proficient – level C) of English and limited knowledge (intermediate – level B) of Arabic or French.
IT Skills: Good knowledge of the MS Office applications, Internet and office technology equipment.
Residency: General Service Staff are recruited locally. To be eligible for this position, candidates must be nationals of the country of the duty station or possess an existing visa/work permit, and reside within commuting distance of the duty station at the time of the application. “Commuting distance” means the distance within which staff members can travel daily between their place of work and their residence.
• Results Focus
• Building effective relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Very good knowledge of the essential elements of a range of finance, accounting and budget-related activities, including the relevant policies, rules and regulations.
• Very good knowledge of corporate financial systems.
• Very good knowledge of the communication and documentation standards.
Apply for job
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this job posting.