Post Number : 1ITSC 0989TP
Grade : G-5
Parent Sector : Natural Sciences Sector (SC)
Duty Station: Trieste
Job Family: Natural Sciences
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Duration of contract : 2 years
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 17-APR-2023
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Only candidates who are entitled to work in the E.U. may apply to this position
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Founded in 1964 by the late Nobel Laureate Abdus Salam and located in Trieste (Italy), the Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) seeks to accomplish its mandate by providing scientists from developing countries with the continuing education and skills that they need to enjoy long and productive careers. ICTP has been a major force in stemming the scientific brain drain from the developing world. For more than 50 years, ICTP has been a driving force behind global efforts to advance scientific expertise in the developing world.
Under the general supervision of the Sr. Finance and Travel Assistant, the incumbent performs a variety of invoicing/ accounting duties requiring the application of the ICTP Financial Regulations and Rules. The incumbent serves as control and designated certifying authority for invoicing documents and records, plans and organizes processing for payment of all ICTP purchase invoices, including utilities, ensuring compliance with all applicable UNESCO/ ICTP financial regulations and procedures. Furthermore, s/he takes decisions in the area of responsibility determining the appropriate action to be taken on individual cases and serves as Certifying Officer for Purchase Orders up to a limit of USD 50k. Essential responsibilities include:
- Receives all invoices issued to the order of ICTP
- Examines invoices in order to verify their correctness and correspondence with Purchase Orders issued by the competent administrative offices, ensuring conformity with ICTP’s financial rules and procedures
- Submits invoices to Allotment Holders in order to collect their certification that goods have been supplied and/ or services have been rendered in accordance with the terms of the contract/ purchase order as well as to obtain or verify their indication of the correct budget code to be charged.
- Interacts with Allotment Holders, the Procurement Office and the various firms and suppliers in order to eliminate possible discrepancies and solve any related controversial issues.
- After verification with the Allotment Holders and having ensured that all data is correct, certifies invoices within the delegated authority (within the applicable threshold).
- Maintains the archives of the Invoice Control and prepares reports and statements on the above activities as required.
Issuance of ICTP Debit/ Credit Notes
- Examines Requests for Debit Notes in order to verify the appropriateness of the attached documentation and to issue all relevant ICTP Debit Notes for reimbursement of costs of services rendered by the ICTP and/ or by its administrative infrastructure to external organizations and institutions; prepares Credit notes when adjustments and/ or corrections are needed.
- Prepares transmission letters of the above as well as dunning letters for collection of outstanding amounts receivable, on request from the Supervisor and for his/ her signature
Certifying Officer for Purchase Orders
- Verifies Purchase Orders and ensure that the procurement rules are adhered, documentation is complete and budget / accounting information is correct
- Verifies the undelivered orders periodically and take action to in order to close them where possible
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
- Completed secondary, technical and/or vocational school.
- A minimum of five years of experience in Finance, Accounting, Budget or related field
- Good knowledge of accounting and bookkeeping procedures
- Experience with ERP systems (SAP, Oracle etc)
- Excellent Analytical skill
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently under pressure
- High level of reliability with a responsive and service-minded attitude and behaviour
- Ability to prioritize, plan and organize own work in order to respect deadlines
- Excellent knowledge (spoken and written) of English and/or Italian and good knowledge of the other.
- Relevant post-secondary education and professional certification in Finance or related field
- Experience in a scientific organization or educational institute at international level
- Knowledge of invoice control process
- Ability to interpret and use policies related to Finance and Budgeting
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For full information on benefits and entitlements, please consult our Guide to Staff Benefits.
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
UNESCO recalls that paramount consideration in the appointment of staff members shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, technical competence and integrity. UNESCO applies a zero-tolerance policy against all forms of harassment. UNESCO is committed to achieving and sustaining equitable and diverse geographical distribution, as well as gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Candidates from non- and under-represented Member States (last update here) are particularly welcome and strongly encouraged to apply. Individuals from minority groups and indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
Apply for job
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this job posting.