Overall, Job purpose
The Finance Manager will be responsible for the financial management of Johanniter in Uganda, and be the focal person for issues of compliance according to donor requirements, organizational policies and procedures. The Finance Manager will ensure the smooth running of the finance department through close supportive supervision and mentorship of the staff. He/she will also be the point of contact for budget monitoring and control and financial reporting for all departments.
Job Description and Responsibilities
Strategy and Vision
- Actively supports the values of Johanniter and shapes the work accordingly.
- Contributes to the implementation of the international and country strategy of Johanniter International Assistance.
- Manages the preparation and maintenance of financial records and reports, including those related to the general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable, Payroll, inventories, budgets and fixed assets, and supervises data gathering and data entry and financial planning work associated with rate setting and analyses.
- Oversees and proactively participates in the preparation, presentation, monitoring and reporting of the project budgets and the organizational annual budget.
- Develops plans, goals and objectives for the finance department ensuring they are implemented.
- Ensures compliance with internal policies and procedures relating to departmental program activities and interprets and explains applicable rules, laws and regulations to supervisors and others.
Training and Capacity Building of Johanniter & Partner Finance Staff
- Periodically conducts financial capacity building needs assessment in collaboration with partners and Johanniter staff; develop concepts and proposals for the financial capacity building activities and carries out capacity building of Finance staff of both Johanniter and partners.
- Conducts quarterly visits to partner organizations to monitor financial activities and support them in implementing Johanniter’s/donor’s financial guidelines.
Supervision of Finance Department Team
- Participates in the recruitment process for new finance department staff.
- Prioritizes, assigns and reviews work plans for the Finance team.
- Prepares and performs employee performance evaluations for the Finance team.
Compliance Requirements and Enforcement
- Ensures compliance in all aspects of financial management and that Johanniter International Assistance financial procedures are followed correctly.
- Ensures compliance to donor and Johanniter procurement procedures, checking that that all procurement documents for purchased materials, supplies and equipment are in compliance with organizational policies and procedures and to the donor requirements /regulations.
- Ensures the correct allocation of costs to various cost centres and correct budget lines are used.
Management and monitoring of approved budgets
- Oversees the checking of all vouchers for the country office and for partner organizations to ensure completeness, correctness and correct booking text descriptions.
- Shares with the Finance Line Manager budget reviews, monthly forecasts, and fund transfers in line with the approved budgets of the projects and in a timely manner
- Informs the Finance Line Manager regarding any issues encountered which require further action.
- Extracts Budget Monitoring Reports from the SUN System on the 15th of each month and organizes monthly BVA review meetings with Country office staff and Partners. Highlights over or underspending and shares feedback to the Finance Line Manager, Senior Programme Manager and Head of Mission.
Support to ensure the mission accountancy in terms of quality, reliability and transparency.
- Reviews the cashbooks ensuring that all transactions are properly recorded by using SUN field Office Up-load Template, check booking text descriptions and correct cost centres, and budget lines.
- Ensures the management of cash boxes (following up advances and maintaining the advances register, physical inventories and bank account/ check and expenditure conciliations, etc.).
- Renews and checks all vouchers to ensure all procurement procedures are followed (RFPs, QET, PA, PO, NCP and Payment Vouchers are complete and are systematically signed by authorized persons).
- Ensures that there is a solid system in place for the timely payment of suppliers, minimizing cash payments and arranging bank transfers.
- Ensures that salaries, per diems and advances are paid in a timely manner (salaries latest by the 27th of every month).
- Reviews and checks that expenditures are validated by the management taking into consideration all the validation thresholds for Johanniter e.g., Senior Program Manager, Head of Mission and the Head of Pro-grammes at HQ.
- Gives a specific briefing on financial management to finance staff to ensure compliance to Johanniter standards.
- Identifies and reports any opportunities for improvement and proposes an implementation plan.
- Prepares quarterly cash transfer requests for the country office and for partners and shares with the Finance Line Manager for review before submission to HoM.
Updates, controls and reviews monthly accountancy
- Reviews accountancy, by checking the weekly cashbook entries shared by Finance Officer to ensure accuracy consistency and completeness of the cashbooks.
- Ensures booking text descriptions, are correctly allocated.
- Oversees the Finance Officer’s review of all documentation from the Partners to ensure completeness, ac-curacy and compliance to Johanniter Finance Guidelines and Donor Requirements.
- Supports the Finance Officer in the preparation of monthly closing documents, including the monthly cash counts and the bank reconciliation in the presence of the Head of Mission. Analyses any possible cash box disparities and provides technical assistance for their resolution (propositions on reorganization).
- Reviews the cash/bank expenses which have been uploaded by the Finance Officer onto the SUN system.
- Posts cash/bank expenses for review by the Finance Line Manager.
- Ensures that all monthly closing vouchers are scanned and uploaded onto the 4JUH platform by the 15th of each month.
Ensures the correct finance implementation of HR procedures.
- Ensures the timely payment of statutory deductions (NSSF, NHIF, NITA and tax (PAYE) to various Government departments within due time of deductions and ensure these are booked accordingly in the Ac-counting System.
- Follows up on the Expatriate Tax payments for those registered for Taxes in the country.
Capacity Building & Performance Evaluation for the Finance department team
- Works together with the Finance Officer in developing work plans (Quarterly, Monthly and weekly) to ensure that all essential tasks required for the proper financial management procedures are followed.
- Conducts performance evaluations with the finance team ensuring that objectives are set for each staff (Finance Officer and Finance Intern) and constantly work with the team to ensure the objectives are man-aged effectively and efficiently.
- Provides the necessary and appropriate support to team members through coaching and training.
- Periodically (at least twice a year) provides appropriate support (i.e., organize workshops & trainings) to Johanniter and partner’s finance staff in regard to accountancy & cash management and review, all necessary functions that are not carried out as required and put in place mechanisms to ensure smooth running of the Finance Department.
- Carries our performance evaluation (once a year) for all subordinate staff objectively and transparently and
- Facilitates the Audit process ensuring that all documentation needed is made available to the Auditors, answer some queries and coordinates with other finance team to ensure smooth Audit process.
- Assists the Head of Mission in monitoring the security context.
- Represents Johanniter in relevant forums and networks.
- Regularly coordinates all the above-mentioned aspects with the Head of Mission and the Finance Line Manager.
- Supports the Head of Mission and Finance Line Manager in other tasks as requested..
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration, (MBA) Accounting, or Management
- Qualification in Accounting (at least CPA III)
- At least five (5) years’ experience in a Finance Management position in an INGO.
- Experience working with local implementing partners.
- Professional in Excel, Words and computerized accounting. Knowledge of the SUN System or any accounting software is essential
- Ability to organize, plan ahead and prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated experience in managing a team: human resource management skills are essential
- Flexibility, ability to adapt
- Good team player
- Responsible and innovative
- Capacity Building and Training skills required
- Excellent communication skills both spoken and written
- Problem solving skills in day to day and crisis situations
- Ability to travel throughout Uganda.
- Fluency in English. Knowledge of local languages will be an added advantage
How to apply
- Johanniter is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. Suitable candidates with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
- We conduct background checks (incl. criminal record, certificates of service from past employers and reference checks) to protect the vulnerable and prevent abuse.
- Applications for this position MUST include the following:
- A cover letter and CV in PDF
- Reference contacts of 3 most recent former supervisors
- Certificates of service from past employers
- Applications missing the above information will not be accepted.
Applications should be sent to [email protected] Sunday 4th June 2023
- Please indicate “Finance Manager- Uganda” in the subject line of your e-mail and in the application mention your earliest date of availability.
- Only complete applications will be considered.
- Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
- Written tests and interviews are expected to take place before end of June 2023. The candidates will be invited by email at short notice.