United Nations Office for Project Services
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. UNOPS supports partners to build a better future by providing services that increase the efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability of peace-building, humanitarian and development projects. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations.
The UNOPS Amman Multi-country Office (Ammmco) implements projects in Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, Syria, and Yemen, in partnership with bilateral donors, national governments, and other UN agencies. With an established presence across the region, the office runs operations, including large-scale procurement, project development, and technical management, and provides financial, human resources, and infrastructure-related services. The functional objective of the UNOPS Hub in Amman is to deliver its projects efficiently and effectively and in line with the principles, rules, and regulations of UNOPS in order to support the response to the current needs and national priorities in the region.
Under the direct supervision of the Finance Specialist. The Finance Senior Associate works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and project teams in the office to resolve complex financial management and operational-related issues and information delivery
- Administration and implementation of operational and financial management strategies
- Administration of budgets and effective cost recovery
- Accounting and administrative support
- Office cash management
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Administration and implementation of operational and financial management strategies:
- Ensures administration and implementation of operational strategies, adapts processes and procedures focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance with UN/UNOPS rules, regulations, and policies of financial activities, financial recording/reporting system and follow-up on audit recommendations; implementation of effective internal controls, proper functioning of a client-oriented financial resources management system.
- Implementation of cost sharing and trust fund agreements, elaboration of conditions of contributions within the office resource mobilization efforts.
- Implementation of cost saving and reduction strategies in consultations with office management.
Administration of budgets and effective cost recovery:
- Ensures administration of budgets and functioning of the optimal cost-recovery system focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Preparation and modifications of budgets for UNOPS projects, follow up with HQs on authorized spending limits) for projects.
- Establishment of criteria for pro-ration of Agencies contributions to the common services account, preparation and modifications of the common services budget and follow up on timely recovery of payments.
- Implementation of the control mechanism for d projects through monitoring budgets preparation and modifications, budgetary status, maintenance of the General Ledger.
- Presentation of thoroughly researched information for planning of financial resources of the office, reports containing analysis of the financial situation.
- Timely preparation of cost-recovery bills in Enterprise System for the services provided by elaboration and implementation of the income tracking system and follow up on cost recovery.
Accounting and administrative support:
- Provides accounting and administrative support to the Finance Unit focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Proper control of the supporting documents for payments, review of financial reports for projects.
- Approval of vendors in Enterprise System (as a senior member of the Finance team).
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Enterprise System; payrolls are duly prepared; travel claims, MPOs and other entitlements are duly processed.
- Coordination and review of accounts closure
- Timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers. Timely response to HQ requests to resolve financial data issues.
- Maintenance of the Accounts Receivables for UNOPS projects and follow up with partners on contributions.
- Timely VAT reimbursements, payment of GLOC by the Government.
- Proper receipting of goods and services and establishment of accruals.
Office cash management:
- Ensures proper cash management functioning focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Timely review of cash position for local accounts to ensure sufficient funds on hand for disbursements. Timely identification and recording of receipts for income application.
- Daily review of zero-balance account bank statements in Enterprise System to monitor imprest level; identification and recording of contributions.
- Selecting bank transfers and deals for approval and settlements.
- Performing Pay cycle manager role in Enterprise System.
- Timely preparation of monthly cash flow forecast for use by Operations Manager/Finance Analyst. Liaison with UN Agencies to obtain estimate of their cash requirements.
Knowledge building and knowledge sharing:
- Organize, facilitate and/or deliver training and learning initiatives for personnel on financial management
- Provide sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice by synthesizing of lessons learnt and dissemination of best practices in financial management.
- Collect feedback, ideas, and internal knowledge about processes and best practices and utilize productively
- Completion of secondary school is required.
- Relevant certification in financial management or accounting a distinct advantage.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferably in Business Administration, Public Administration, or equivalent disciplines is desirable but not required.
- Minimum of 7 years of relevant working experience within the areas of finance, accounting, business administration or related field is required.
- Knowledge of UNOPS financial rules and regulations; working knowledge of ERP is highly desirable
- Experience with MS Office 2003or newer versions, and financial management, using electronic systems, environment and are desired.
- Some experience in UN system organizations is desirable.
- Fluency in English and Arabic is required.
Recommend your friend
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this job posting.
Medical Device Reprocessing TechnicianWinnipeg Regional Health AuthorityWinnipeg, MBWinnipeg, MB
Senior Business Data AnalystHarris ComputerOntarioOntario
Environmental Project Manager – EdmontonCanacreEdmonton, ABEdmonton, AB
Secretary C – Centralized StaffingNova Scotia Health AuthorityHalifax, NSHalifax, NS