Overview & Responsibilities
The IDLO Finance Department is an integral part of the project team which seeks to ensure financial integrity with goal of realizing high level of transparency and accountability in the execution of various donors’ projects. The Finance Department places high value on producing accurate and auditable financial reports for all its stakeholders.
Reporting to the Financial Accountant, the Finance Specialist (Accounts Payable) will provide support in delivery of consistent and accurate financial accounting processes in line with International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS), various donor rules and regulations and IDLO policies and procedures. S/he will be responsible for processing all financial transactions in MS Navision and online banking system in a timely manner ensuring correct coding and classification of data to enable appropriate financial reporting. The postholder will play a key role in the month end financial close process including consolidation and generation of account schedules, reconciliations, and other reports.
- Responsible for the basic operations of the accounting function – banking, cash management, coding, and data entry of transactions.
- Prepare registrations in NAV, including but not limited to payroll, funds requests, internal transfers, depreciation, accruals, and prepayments.
- Support the Financial Accountant to ensure that IDLO resources are adequately tracked and that proper authorization for the use of resources is provided.
- Provide assurance that resources used follow IDLO policies and procedures and applicable donor rules and regulations.
- Perform verification of invoices as per established organization processes and approvals, matching supporting documentation for vendor and consultant invoices, recalculating for mathematical accuracy, and ensuring the use of adequate codes.
- Ensure timely processing of all invoices including payroll through bulk or manual payments both in NAV and in the online banking system.
- Monitor incoming funds in the online banking system; report the same to Finance colleagues timely.
- Analyze complex/unusual accounting transactions and difficult claims for travel, invoices, and entitlement matters and make recommendations to the Financial Accountant on appropriate follow-up procedures.
- Review and reconcile various balance sheet accounts and investigate erroneous/invalid entries to take appropriate corrective accounting actions.
- Support the Financial Accountant in activities related to month and year-end closure processes.
- Act as a backup to the Financial Accountant when absent.
- Perform any other similar duties as requested by the supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business
- Accounting Certification ACCA, CA, CPA.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in an international accounting and financial management environment preferably within an intergovernmental or international non-governmental organization or private /public organization with donor funded programs.
- Experience in IPSAS is an added advantage.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstratable knowledge of general accounting principles.
- Proven knowledge of IPSAS, financial rules and regulations and accounting principles.
- Advanced knowledge of spreadsheets and database packages, and MS Office package.
- Good working knowledge and experience on the use of ERP.
- Excellent analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Strong planning and organizational ability.
- Effective communication and written skills.
- Ability to work independently and prioritize.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work constructively with several internal service departments.
- Proven ability to see through tasks set and deliver results.
- Ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines, flexibility and an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Keen sense of ethics, integrity, credibility, and commitment to IDLO’s mandate.
Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of other working languages would be an advantage.
Terms & Conditions
For this internationally professional recruited position, IDLO shall offer the selected candidate an Affiliate Contract of 24 months, with possibility of extension subject to performance and availability of funding. IDLO shall also offer a yearly basic salary of EUR 37,762 and a benefits package including provident fund contribution, medical insurance, leave entitlements, and relocation and installation support in accordance with IDLO Employee Regulations and Rules.
Salaries and benefits paid by IDLO to employees are exempt from taxation in Italy. IDLO employees are responsible for compliance with income tax laws of their country of nationality or residence and/or of any other relevant fiscal jurisdiction.
Applications will be screened on a regular basis; a qualified applicant might be recruited before the deadline. In the interest of making most effective use of resources, only the short-listed candidates will be contacted during the selection process.
IDLO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operations. We welcome applications of qualified and diverse candidates.
IDLO is committed to achieving 50/50 gender balance at all levels within its workforce. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for IDLO vacancies.
IDLO does not tolerate sexual exploitation or abuse, any kind of harassment, including harassment of a sexual nature, or discrimination. As such, IDLO will conduct careful reference and background checks of all selected candidates as part of its selection process.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the employee/consultant/intern assigned to this work. This may not be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the consultancy opportunity to meet business and organizational needs as necessary. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality and in compliance with IDLO’s policy on personal data protection.
How to apply
Please make sure your application is completed online on the following link to be considered for the role:
Finance Specialist (Accounts Payable) in Rome Careers at HQ- Rome -Italy (icims.com)