Working at Oxfam
Employment Term: Fixed Term (1 year contract)
Level: National, C2
Location: Yangon, Myanmar
Closing Date: 30 June 2023
Oxfam is looking for Gender Programme Adviser.
The purpose of the Gender Adviser position is to lead and support the effective promotion of strategic gender equality and non-discrimination across Oxfam in Myanmar’s programme as a whole, with a specific focus on women’s economic empowerment within the Economic Justice programme. This will be done by working with other gender focal points and advisers, all Oxfam teams, our partners, networks and beneficiaries and other stakeholders. The Gender Adviser will lead the strategic direction of Oxfam’s gender work, external engagement within Myanmar’s gender networks, analysis of gender differences within project design, and facilitate advisory support to project implementation, with a specific focus on Oxfam’s economic Justice programme.
- Facilitate and support the integration of gender perspectives in the overall strategic planning, needs assessments and programming of various sectors; and undertake or commission regular gender assessments in Oxfam’s key operating states/ regions as required
- Lead on identifying and analysing gender issues at country and ground levels for Humanitarian and Economic Justice programmes
- Lead in implementation of gender strategy and review when necessary to be aligned with Oxfam’s country strategy, and continually moves forward Oxfam in Myanmar’s gender programming, both standalone and mainstreaming, towards transformative change.
- Provide technical support to Humanitarian Response in Myanmar programme, including programme redesigning works under Humanitarian Programme due the fragile context in Myanmar.
- Work with project managers and the Programme strategy and impact team in integrating gender and women in leadership issues in the theory of change, proposal development, design/ redesign, specific resources and activities, and monitoring indicators of all concept notes and proposals, to ensure gender mainstreaming and women in leadership become a reality.
- Build the capacity of Oxfam and partner staff, providing regular gender and women in leadership trainings, and mentoring as required
- Co-ordinate the internal Gender Focal Group, a group of gender focused staff that are jointly driving forward Oxfam in Myanmar’s gender programming, and facilitate functioning of the group
- Provide specific technical support and coaching to gender focal points from different programmes
- Lead in updating and implementation of country Gender Action Plan working together with other gender advisors and gender persons
- Provide practical women’s economic empowerment technical support to the economic justice projects, making complex gender related technical information useable by non-specialists.
- Support the collection and analysis of sex- and age-disaggregated data and work with the Programme Quality Team in assisting sectoral teams to monitor the progress in gender mainstreaming
- Build evidence of change in gender norms and acceptance of women in leadership for shared learning and to feed into gender influencing efforts.
- Bring in and manage additional technical gender expertise as required, through either accessing head office advisory support or external consultancy support, co-ordinating with programme teams and developing and managing terms of reference.
- Represent Oxfam in external gender engagement and different Gender related networks.
What we are looking for:
- Education to at least degree level preferably in social sciences, women and gender studies, or related humanities field with a focus on gender equality, women’s economic empowerment or women’s rights
- Minimum 5 years of progressively responsible experience in women-specific and gender issues, gender sensitive planning, gender analysis, gender mainstreaming and promotion of gender equality at national and regional levels.
- Demonstrated expertise in integrating women’s empowerment within livelihood, market led, natural resource management and responsible investment programming
- Knowledge of and working experience of protection and gender-based violence issues
- Knowledge of and working experience in broader social inclusion, including topics of gender identity, and intersectionality
- Experience in capacity assessment, identifying issues and planning capacity building processes
- Experience in working with a variety of stakeholders, men and women in communities, authorities, donors, and civil society.
- Excellent communication skills to communicate complex information to a wide range of audiences, and interpersonal skills to promote genuine commitment to gender equality among Oxfam staff and partners.
- Training and facilitation experience
- Understanding of feminist leadership principles preferred
- Ability to travel extensively including to remote areas of Myanmar
Oxfam aims to recruit and retain diverse, passionate people who have the necessary skills, knowledge and commitment to meet our vision. We offer a competitive salary and a range of additional benefits to staff including flexible working options, generous pension scheme, annual leave, additional leave allowances, company sick pay, life assurance and a range of other benefits.
Find out more about our pay & benefits, please click here.
We believe flexible working is key to building the Oxfam of the future, so we’re open to talking through the type of flexible arrangements which might work for you.
How to apply:
As part of your online application, please upload your up to date CV and Cover Letter explaining your suitability against the essential criteria in the job profile.
Apply For This Role
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this job posting.