Role: Global Senior Manager- Accounting Services.
Reporting into: Director Accounting Services.
Department: Global Finance.
Location: Nairobi – Kenya.
Our Strategy for delivering high-quality, cost-effective community health through and with digitally empowered, equipped, supplied, supervised, and compensated CHWs requires that we continuously re-invent the way we work. Innovating incessantly and with swift responsiveness to global trends is a critical success factor for building a thriving and sustainable LG of today and tomorrow.
Over the last four years, Living Goods has become a more complex organization with multiple implementation modes, exciting opportunities in new countries, and new partnerships in existing countries. Furthermore, while we have delivered some strong work in technology over the last couple of years, we now need to go the extra mile beyond technology and ensure a much greater emphasis on government partnerships in the broader digital health space. We can only do this by building a great place to work where our teams thrive, grow, and deliver extraordinary results.
Purpose of role:
The Global Senior Manager of Accounting works with the Director of Accounting services in maintaining the consolidated and global accounting shared services operations and provides direct oversight over the accounting team of the Kenya Country Office. The Global Senior Manager of Accounting oversees all day-to-day accounting operations and provides direct support and direction to all other in-country accounting teams. The Global Senior Manager Accounting is expected to have and keep in-depth, and up-to-date knowledge and understanding of both US GAAP and International accounting standards (IFRS). Provide advice to management on changes in accounting regulations or practices that may impact operations and reporting.
Accounting, Reporting, and Internal Controls
- Maintain accounting, financial reporting, financial controls, and information systems to ensure adequate records, appropriate authorizations of transactions, and safeguard assets.
- Works with the Director of Accounting Services to ensure compliance with the Sarbanes-Oxley Act and other relevant governance acts or regulations in the respective jurisdictions of LG.
- Interpret and implement Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and other standards applicable to LGs operational jurisdictions.
- Provides compliance guidance on all accounting issues.
- Initiates process improvements.
- Coordinate and lead all local and international audits and proper filing of statutory and tax returns; prepare for and coordinate all external audits.
- Research and resolve technical accounting issues, including consultation with external auditors, and country accounting teams.
- Ensure legal and regulatory compliance regarding all financial functions across all LG operations and jurisdictions.
- Assume a key role in collaboration with the Financial and Grant reporting teams in annual planning, budgeting, and monitoring revenue and expenditure against budget.
- Provide shared accounting services to all global operations including new country expansion.
- Oversee balance sheet reconciliations and month-end close procedures across all operations.
Accounting oversight of Kenya Country Office:
- Oversee the accounting function and staff and ensure compliance with organizational policies and procedures and statutory regulations.
- Ensure the hiring and talent pipeline management of quality engaged staff.
- Provide coaching, mentoring, and development of staff.
- Monitoring performance and initiating timely action to strengthen staff and staff engagement.
- Translating organizational goals into functional and individual goals and ensuring proper task and functional divisions.
- Oversee the timely submission of statutory filings including tax returns, company registrar filings, insurance submissions, etc, and ensure compliance with country financial, tax reporting, and regulatory requirements.
- Ensure accounting processes and workflows are fit for operational purposes to maximize the use of digital platforms and compliance with an organizationally approved delegation of authority.
- Coordinate and lead the annual auditing process including liaising with external auditors and liaising with the Global Director Accounting Services and the local Board of Directors.
- Managing the country’s cash flow and forecasting and providing oversight of all bank accounts.
- Supports the treasury function with the Global controller.
- Ensure compliance with banking regulations and treasury policy.
- Ensures that Countries have appropriate cash flow.
Management and Advisory services:
- Guide the countries and operations teams to understand the implications and complexities of transactions and other matters by providing expertise and accounting guidance.
- Advise management and accounting teams about complex financial accounting and reporting issues and transaction structuring, and current technical accounting developments.
- Support general accounting and financial reporting teams, and interactions with accounting shared service organizations including account reconciliations, closing processes, general ledger & financial systems maintenance, and accounting compliance.
- Maintain an environment of excellence and a “can do” culture that facilitates the success of LG.
Qualifications & Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, or a related field.
Professional Qualifications / Membership in professional bodies
- CPA or ACCA required.
- Minimum of 10 to 12 years of working Experience.
Competencies & Attributes:
- In-depth knowledge of nonprofit accounting (fund accounting principles), including sophisticated fund and grant accounting, compliance, and reporting.
- Broad experience with multiple funding sources, including the US government, other country governments, other bi-and multilateral donors, and corporates and foundations.
- Evidence of partnering with executive staff, resulting in the development and implementation of creative financial management strategies.
- Experience streamlining, refining, and automating financial processes, including the development of user-friendly tools and training programs, and deploying suitable technology.
- Track record of working with technology leaders to manage critical financial management and reporting systems.
- Mission-driven, articulate professional with substantial finance and administrative management experience.
- Keen analytical, organization, and problem-solving skills that support and enable sound decision-making.
- Proven strength in building and sustaining supportive relationships and persuasively communicating institutional goals and needs.
- Strong human resource management experience: the ability to supervise, mentor, and engage staff members and inspire credibility, and confidence and build consensus.
- Technology savvy and specific knowledge of accounting and reporting software.
- Demonstrated capacity to think strategically with expertise in complex problem solving, decision making, and critical thinking skills, displays good judgment.
- Advanced Excel skills.
- Bilingual in French is a plus.
Living Goods is an equal-opportunity employer and will consider every qualified applicant for employment. Living Goods does not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or disability.
Our current job openings are displayed on our website, where you can search for open positions and apply directly. Living Goods does not offer any positions without an interview and never asks candidates for money. If you are asked for money, we strongly recommend that you do not respond and do not send money or personal information.