Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC)
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
UNICEF’s Global Shared Services Centre (GSSC) in Budapest, Hungary provides services to UNICEF offices globally in the areas of Finance, Human Resources, Payroll and Information Technology. For more information about GSSC please visit our webpage at Global Shared Services Centre (GSSC) and check this YouTube.
For every child, a calling.
We are committed, passionate, and proud of what we do. Promoting the rights of every child is not a job, it’s a calling.
How can you make a difference?
The National Finance Officer in General Accounting Stream, Finance Section, is responsible for leading and managing transactional teams under the direct supervision of the Stream Lead. This is a critical team lead role that directly impacts the GSSC service delivery, its staff engagement and welfare and implementation of improvement initiatives.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
This role will be responsible for building and maintaining a highly performing processing team with high levels of quality and service, a satisfied customer base and a well-motivated and engaged team.
- People Management
- Lead and manage team to ensure achievement of their performance targets.
- Provide technical support, feedback and on the job training to team members.
- Lead and develop staff through coaching and mentoring.
- Promote management excellence and work life balance in the unit.
- Support a culture of honest and continuous feedback and performance management.
- Service Delivery
- Lead and supervise the service delivery of the unit to meet organizational performance and productivity goals.
- Manage work programmes for suspicious transaction monitoring, detective reporting and transaction level monitoring.
- Influence and evaluate the impact of changes in policies, regulations on internal controls and advise management accordingly.
- Perform root cause analysis on significant business process bottlenecks or inefficiencies
- Ensure proactive coordination with other team leads and other streams for timely resolution of issues and concerns.
- Ensure close and positive client service relationships with the offices being supported, issues are resolved positively and proactively.
- Customer Engagement and Relationship Management
- Establish and maintain good relationship with customers in regions under my supervision
- Address and respond to customer feedback on a timely basis
- Projects and Innovations
- Support projects to ensure GSSC process compliance to organizational policies and procedures and the achievement of efficiency initiatives.
- Provide advisory support in various projects in order enhance internal controls efficiency and productivity in business process across all finance streams, including the issuance of process instructions.
- Maintain constant innovative approach to enhance productivity, sound internal controls and minimize transactional time/cost.
- Provide technical support on projects dedicated to technology integration, robotics and process automation etc.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- A first university degree (Bachelor’s Degree) in accounting, business administration, economics, accounting, financial management. Master’s degree in relevant field is an asset.
- Minimum 2 years of solid accounting experience (senior review level) in international organization or big 4 accounting firms using an ERP system. Additional years of experience related to accounting is desirable.
- Minimum 1 year experience in a shared service center or consulting/audit environment. Additional years of experience in shared service is desirable.
- Ideally progressing or have achieved an internationally recognized accounting qualification is an asset.
- Demonstrated experience in the management of a large size finance processing teams
- Strong knowledge of internal finance controls and quality management
- Experience in supporting or leading finance efficiency projects, implementation of improved controls or finance risk reduction initiatives
- Experience of reporting and data analytics.
- Fluency in both spoken and written English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) is an asset.
As an advocate for every child, you will receive
- A competitive salary which is exempted from paying national income taxes in Hungary on United Nations emoluments here and the UN Salary Scale worldwide Salaries and Allowances (UN). here a salary calculator SalCalcInt (undp.org) for simulation.
- Holidays and leave, including 30 days of annual leaves per year
- Parental leave
- Dependency allowance
- United Nations sponsored medical insurance plan
- Pension plan
- Optional life insurance plan
- Access to professional development and learning programs, online learning and learning path
- Access to staff well-being support
- Access to career development support
Please visit Compensation and Benefit site on UNICEF Career page
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s Core Values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust and Accountability and Sustainability (CRITAS) underpin everything we do and how we do it. Get acquainted with Our Values Charter: UNICEF Values
UNICEF competencies required for this post are…
(1) Builds and maintains partnerships (2) Demonstrates self-awareness and ethical awareness (3) Drive to achieve results for impact (4) Innovates and embraces change (5) Manages ambiguity and complexity (6) Thinks and acts strategically (7) Works collaboratively with others (8) Nurtures, Leads and Manages People.
To view our competency framework, please visit here.
During the recruitment process, we test candidates following the competency framework. Familiarize yourself with our competency framework and its different levels: competency framework here.
To view our competency framework, please visit: https://uni.cf/Competencies
During the recruitment process, we test candidates following the competency framework. Familiarize yourself with our competency framework and its different levels: UNICEF’s Competency Framework here
Remarks: Requirement for internal applicants
Please attach the snapshot of the completed courses of Learning Path when applying to the level of this post. You may visit the L&D Portal Learning and Development (sharepoint.com) for more information.
National Officer (NO) staff are nationals of the country in which they perform functions of a technical and professional nature. Eligible applicants are nationals of Hungary.
National Officer staff are locally recruited staff and therefore, are responsible for any travel and accommodation arrangements. UNICEF does not facilitate MFA accreditation for locally recruited staff
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
UNICEF is here to serve the world’s most disadvantaged children and our global workforce must reflect the diversity of those children. The UNICEF family is committed to A diverse and inclusive workforce to include everyone, irrespective of their race/ethnicity, age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, nationality, socio-economic background, or any other personal characteristic.
We offer a wide range of Compensation and benefits to our staff, including paid parental leave, breastfeeding breaks and reasonable accommodation with disabilities. UNICEF strongly encourages the use of flexible working arrangements.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF is committed to promote the protection and safeguarding of all children.
All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates will be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
UNICEF appointments are subject to medical clearance. Appointments are also subject to inoculation (vaccination) requirements, including against SARS-CoV-2 (COVID).
Apply for job
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this job posting.