University of Northampton
Full Time Permanent
£54,421 – £63,059 per annum
About The Job
Interview Date: 11 July 2023
The University of Northampton’s Head of Customer Service and Support has overall responsibility for the front line support of technology across the University. They also run the department’s customer computing, digital, AV and collaborative tools services. In addition they have responsibility for assessing and addressing the how to enable and empower users to utilise IT services more effectively through training and support activities such as workshops, videos, FAQs and drop in sessions. This position leads the strategic direction for front line operational services that underpin the University’s future strategy and vision.
We want you to be able to carry out your work in a way that best supports UON and our students, but also you as an individual. We understand this may vary between different areas of the university as well as from one person to another. The Smarter Working arrangements for IT Services allow non-frontline staff to work two days in the office and three days remotely, if you would like to, providing increased flexibility, greater freedom and autonomy.
- Extensive demonstrable experience of progressive IT based leadership in medium or large organisations, preferably within the Education sector
- Excellent organisational ability, first class verbal and written communication skills, and ability to engage across various populations and levels
- Excellent leadership skills to engage and motivate team members to deliver further service improvements
- Experience of working and influencing cross functionality and managing internal stakeholders, team members, and external agencies
- Knowledge and experience of project management
- Experience of managing a broad range of technology bases with particular focus on applications, digital and innovation
- Excellent problem-solving, analytical and evaluative skills
- Understanding of risk management practices and application within the technology environment
- Understanding and experience of regulatory obligations and compliance techniques
- Demonstrate an understanding of HR policies and procedures
- Ability to identify and undertake vital conversations appropriately
- Ability to delegate appropriately
- Excellent interpersonal skills sufficient to develop professional relationships and rapport amongst key stakeholders
- Excellent influencing skills in order to enhance the credibility of the function amongst key stakeholders
- Strategic thinking with ability to formulate strategies that are achievable, cost-effective, and address organisational goals, either by themselves or in coordination with other strategies
- Excellent written communication skills sufficient to write explanations of complex systems, regulations and/or procedures
- Excellent customer service skills sufficient to understand and deliver exceptional service to both staff and students
- Excellent verbal communication skills sufficient to influence other’s thinking and negotiate to achieve a ‘win-win’ outcome
- Ability to work effectively through change and ambiguity
- Ability to adapt to technological advances in the workplace
- Ability to adapt to organisational change
- Persuasion and negotiation skills
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Business Relationship Management Professional
- PRINCE 2 Foundation
The IT Services department comprises circa. 75 staff, divided into 5 teams, and runs the information and technology services of the university. The teams include:
- Customer Service and Support
- Technology Operations
- Application Services
- Cyber Security
- Change and Relationship Management
Come to the University of Northampton and you will see that we do things a bit differently.
We are one of the youngest universities in the UK but we are already leading the way in adding value to society, which we call social impact. We have won multiple awards for our work in this area, among others, but what matters the most to us is ensuring that our students and graduates have the opportunity to make their mark on the world too. That’s why we were the first university in the UK to be named as a Changemaker Campus in 2012.
We want to break the mould of what Higher Education can be. This has led us to build a whole new University from the ground up that is designed to reflect the way that students actually learn rather than the way they are expected to learn. Waterside Campus opened in September 2018.
Our commitment to transforming lives and inspiring change is at the heart of all that we do.
Right To Work
All candidates will be asked to provide proof of eligibility to work in the UK at interview.
The University of Northampton is committed to providing a vibrant, ethical and sustainable work, study and living environment that values equality, diversity and inclusion.
This commitment, along with our legal and moral obligations, provides an inclusive environment for staff, students and the public who may be affected by our activities.
Together @ UON confirms our commitment to equality and inclusion, underpinned by our belief in taking action. We are dedicated to creating an environment that celebrates equality and harnesses the power of diversity.
Together @ UON demonstrates our pledge to our staff, students and partners to nurture and develop an environment where equality and inclusion can thrive whilst we Transform Lives and Inspire Change
To find out more, please visit: https://www.northampton.ac.uk/about-us/governance-and-management/management/equality-and-diversity/
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this job posting.