University of Derby
Strategic Insights and Planning
Interim Director of Strategic Insights and Planning
Kedleston Road, Derby Campus
£54,377 to £67,971 per annum (for exceptional performers, there is scope for further progression up to £78,167 per annum)
Sunday 2 July 2023
About the role
In this key leadership role, you will be responsible for the effective delivery of the University’s key student statutory returns, designing and maintaining effective data governance strategies to ensure that all data is fully compliant with relevant regulation and legislation. You will lead the Student Data Reporting team, which is responsible for delivering statutory data reporting to the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA), the Office for Students (OfS), and other Professional, Statutory and Regulatory Bodies as required.
As well as managing the preparation and submission of relevant returns, you will devise and deliver ongoing data quality improvements by designing and implementing robust processes, procedures, and working practices, working with professional services and academic staff to raise awareness of, and ensure compliance with, these processes. You will work closely with a range of stakeholders across the University to drive the student data quality agenda and will keep the senior management team informed of key risks and developments in relation to the statutory reporting landscape. You will also develop the use of new technologies, including a new data management platform and software such as Alteryx, to improve efficiency and data quality.
Working closely with the existing project team, you will act as the business lead in the completion of the transition project to new student data returns processes as part of HESA Data Futures.
Statutory and other Regulatory Returns
- Postgraduate degree level or with significant equivalent work-based experience at a senior level.
- Demonstrable and proven track record in developing and delivering HESA student statutory returns.
- Demonstrated experience of leading cross-functional technical teams in a complex organization, and the proven experience of leading, managing, and developing staff including coaching and mentoring.
- Demonstrable experience of designing and implementing efficient and effective processes, procedures, and working practices.
- Demonstrable experience of the manipulation, analysis and presentation of large volumes of numeric data, including experience of proprietary software used in managing and analysing large datasets.
- Demonstrable experience of effective engagement with key external stakeholders, such as regulatory bodies or regulators, at a strategic level.
Skills, knowledge & abilities
- Demonstrable knowledge of higher education (HE) student data and records systems (e.g. Peoplesoft) and the ability to devise and implement new ways of automating and managing business processes related to HE data.
- Advanced proficiency in using leading tools (e.g. Power BI, Tableau, SQL, Alteryx) to manage, manipulate, visualise, analyse and report on business data.
- Exceptional customer service and stakeholder engagement skills.
- Proven ability to scope, devise, plan and manage the delivery of complex data and analytical projects.
- Demonstrated analytical planning, and problem-solving skills, and the ability to produce clear, intuitive, data-informed outputs (reports, tables, visuals) and present findings to executive level.
- Proven ability to negotiate and influence external stakeholders, senior management and colleagues to gain support, understanding and cooperation to achieve a desired course of action consistent with the organisation’s strategic goals and objectives.
- Experience of building workflows in Alteryx.
- Experience of working with Peoplesoft.
How to apply
You can apply by submitting an online application. Once you have signed in or registered with us you will be able to begin your application. If you are creating an account for the first time, please ensure you provide an email address that you access regularly as this will be our main means of contacting you regarding your application.
- Apply online Apply online
- Continue application Continue application
- Advice on completing your applicationAdvice on completing your application
If you require any assistance, including the provision of any documentation in an alternative format, please contact the Recruitment team at [email protected] .
Please note all applications must be submitted online by Midnight GMT on the closing date of the vacancy.
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications.
Whilst this role is eligible for sponsorship under the Skilled Worker Route, we recommend that you assess your individual eligibility before applying for this position.
Visit https://www.gov.uk/skilled-worker-visa for more information.
To be eligible for sponsorship you must provide evidence that you hold all essential qualifications listed on the job description. Please note, equivalent experience will not be accepted as evidence of the essential qualifications.
Equality, diversity, inclusion and wellbeing
The University of Derby is committed to promoting equality, diversity and inclusion. However you identify, we actively celebrate the knowledge, experience and talents each person brings.
A university that celebrates youA university that celebrates you
Download Head of Student Data Reporting job descriptionDownload Head of Student Data Reporting job description
Why join Derby?
Challenging, interesting and constantly changing, the University of Derby is an extraordinary place to learn and an incredibly rewarding place to work.
Find out more about working at the UniversityFind out more about working at the University
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expect everyone who works for us to also share this commitment and to treat people with courtesy and respect.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this job posting.