United Nations International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals (IRMCT)
IDB Invest Equity Valuation Officer
Background: IDB Invest (IDBI), a member of the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) Group, is a multilateral organization based in Washington, D.C., that is committed to the development of Latin America and the Caribbean through the private sector.
The Finance and Administration Department (FNA) covers the following divisions: Controllership; Analytics and Information Technology; Operations; and Treasury. The Controllership Division is responsible for development-related investment valuation; accounting; financial reporting; budget and financial planning; and administration of corporate resources to support IDB Invest’s business needs.
The valuation team within the Controllership Division is a newly formed team that will be dedicated to the valuation of financial Instruments, which will initially be focused on investments in private sector entities in its regional member countries (“development-related investments”). This team will be responsible for preparing and reviewing the investment valuations for purposes of IDB Invest’s quarterly financial statements, as well as preparing ad hoc valuations in certain circumstances and working with investment teams during the origination stage to determine the appropriate valuation methodology for proposed investments. In addition, the valuation team will be responsible for developing and maintaining valuation procedures and internal controls to support valuation processes, as well as valuation guidelines to help ensure that fair value measurements comply with the requirements of U.S. GAAP and industry best practices. The valuation team will engage regularly with investment teams, risk teams, other FNA teams, and external auditors.Job Description: The Valuation Specialist position presents an exciting opportunity to apply finance knowledge in a dynamic and diverse team of professionals in a growing institution. This position requires deep technical knowledge of valuation methodologies applicable across a broad array of financial instruments, particularly interests in funds, equity of various share classes of privately held entities, and terms embedded in these instruments that may have value. It also requires financial modeling skills, the ability to multi-task and manage time effectively, strong oral and written communication skills, sound judgment, and preferably knowledge of markets in Latin America and the Caribbean.
Key responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Prepare quarterly equity instrument valuations;
- Prepare results of quarterly fair value measurements for presentation to management committee responsible for portfolio supervision;
- Prepare supporting documentation for fair value measurements in financial statements and disclosures and engage with the external or internal auditors to address questions regarding such measurements;
- Engage with investment teams in determining the appropriate valuation methodology during the origination stage and represent valuation team views in investment approval meetings;
- Support the development or maintenance of written valuation guidelines;
- Implement and monitor internal controls surrounding valuation processes to prevent or detect errors and to mitigate risks;
- Engage with colleagues in investment operations, risk, accounting, budget, and other units as needed to enhance valuation procedures, evaluate the impact of proposed financial products or product features, and conduct financial analyses;
- Support relationships with third party valuation service providers for select investments;
- MBA or master’s degree in finance or economics
- CFA preferred
- Completion of financial modeling course(s) preferred
Skills and experience:
- At least 5 years of relevant professional experience required, including experience applying a variety of valuation techniques (e.g., present value techniques, option pricing models, market multiples) to prepare valuations that rely on Level 2 and 3 inputs for equity instruments and fund investments
- At least 2 years of relevant professional experience with financial markets and products in Latin America and the Caribbean required
- Understanding of the requirements of ASC 820, Fair Value Measurements, required
- Familiarity with or experience valuing debt instruments issued by private entities or liquid investments (e.g., U.S. Treasury instruments, money market funds) a plus
- Proficiency with financial modeling tools (MS Excel and VBA, Python or other programming skills or other applications for developing financial models) and data analytics, reporting, and presentation tools (e.g., PowerBI, Powerpoint) highly desirable
- Relevant professional experience engaging with third party valuation service providers a plus
- Oral and written proficiency in English required. Proficiency in Spanish highly desirable. French and Portuguese a plus.
Type of contract and modality: Staff
Contract duration: 3-year contract
Contract start date: To be negotiated with the selected candidate
Place(s) of work: IDB Invest Headquarters, Washington DC, USA
Supervisor: Controller, Controllership Division
Our culture: At IDB Invest, you will be surrounded by a diverse group of people who have years of experience in private sector development across industries and topics, including infrastructure and energy, corporates, financial institutions, financial and non-financial products and services, gender and diversity, communications and much more.
About us: IDB Invest, a member of the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) Group, is a multilateral organization, committed to the development of the private sector of Latin America and the Caribbean by financing loans, equity investments, and guarantees. In addition, IDB Invest partners with clients to provide advisory and training services.
IDB Invest offers a competitive remuneration and benefits package.
IDB Invest is committed to diversity and inclusion and to providing equal opportunities in employment. We embrace diversity based on gender, age, education, national origin, ethnic origin, race, disability, sexual orientation, and religion. We encourage women, Afro-descendants and persons of indigenous origins to apply.
Our team in Human Resources carefully reviews all applications
Apply for job
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this job posting.