World Food Programme (WFP)
The IDB Group is a community of diverse, versatile, and passionate people who come together on a journey to improve lives in Latin America and the Caribbean. Our people find purpose and do what they love in an inclusive, collaborative, agile, and rewarding environment.
About this position
The Financial and Operational Risk Division of the Risk Management Department of IDB Invest is looking for a professional with financial model development and validation background, specifically in asset valuation and asset pricing models, to support IDB Invest in the implementation of model risk framework. The candidate is expected to be a knowledgeable, proactive, self-starter and actively contribute to the development of automated reports, models, processes, and controls related to the function.
The Financial and Operational Risk Management Division is responsible for managing financial and operational risks of IDB Invest. The team is divided into four main groups:
- Portfolio Management: responsible for providing portfolio risk guidance to the business areas, managing concentration and portfolio limits, RAROC, Risk Management MIS, reporting and limit controls, and quarterly calculation of provisions.
- Market Risk: responsible for the design, implementation, update, and ongoing execution of the Market Risk and Asset and Liability Management framework. The team identifies, quantifies and monitors interest rate risk and foreign exchange risk of the balance sheet, and the price risk of the liquid investment portfolio. This group is also responsible for counterparty credit risk management.
- Model Risk and Capital Adequacy: responsible for the internal economic capital models, rating agencies models and the model governance framework, including model validation.
- Operational Risk Management: responsible for assessing and maintaining an appropriate internal control environment, developing and managing a full operational risk framework as a second line of defense.
This position is to work in the Model Risk and Capital Adequacy team, reporting to its lead. The candidate will play a key role in deploying IDB Invest’s model governance framework throughout the organization. The position will require combining risk management knowledge, experience with the building and the verification and challenge of financial models, coding skills, good understanding of IDB Invest’s policies and limits, project management skills to interact with IT and an excellent hands-on attitude to develop and improve reports and controls in Excel, Power Point, Power BI. The candidate is expected to have team spirit, proactivity, intellectual curiosity, adaptability, and strong desire to be part of the IDB Invest.
What you’ll do
- You will execute the model validation/assessment program including:
- Collecting and assessing the quality of model documentation produced by model owners (Microsoft Word/PowerPoint and pdf presentations, spreadsheets, codes, etc.);
- Verifying the relevance and the quality of the model data and its sources;
- Evaluating the appropriateness of the model’s conceptual soundness or approach and its calibration;
- Replicating models results;
- Proposing and applying testing methods to verify the model’s performance (e.g. model back-testing);
- Producing alternative approaches and benchmarks to challenge the model and its data;
- Identifying model gaps and issues, along with severity and remediation actions;
- Defending the validation findings in working groups and higher level committees;
- Documenting the Model Validation Templates.
- Follow-up on the resolution of identified issues.
- Manage the relationship with model owners.
- Be a subject matter expert in the field of market and credit risk modeling.
- Execute model validation activities on other model types (e.g. asset valuation, operational risk) on an as needed basis.
- Produce research on technical topics in the interest of the Team’s goals and activities.
What you’ll need
- Education: Master degree in a quantitative field, preferably in mathematics, economics, engineering, statistics, actuarial science, risk or finance. FRM/CFA is a plus.
- Experience: 4+ years of technical experience in market risk models (e.g. Interest Rate/FX simulation models, volatility models, VaR, XVA, CCR, Funding/ALM models,…), derivatives pricing models, and credit risk models (e.g. PD, LGD, EAD, credit VaR (e.g. Risk Frontier), …); knowledge of financial data sourcing, processing and management, coding; knowledge of statistical techniques for data sampling, predictive models, monte-carlo simulations, parameter estimation and statistical significance, hypothesis testing, model selection; experience in the validation of Bloomberg’s suite of models (e.g. BRM, XBM, …); hands-on experience in producing advanced reports with BI tools, especially Power BI. Additional experiences in economic capital, market risk, ALM or operational risk will be considered a plus; strong communication skills, including preparation and delivery of presentations to management; process oriented to designing and implement automated process.
- Languages: oral and written proficiency in English required. Spanish is a plus.
- Systems: Advanced user of Microsoft tools (e.g. Excel, Power point, Word and Power BI (other similar tools like Tableau will be also considered)), SQL; Advanced coding skills (e.g. VBA, R, MATLAB, Python, Quantlib, Julia)
·Collaborate and share knowledge
·Focus on clients
·Communicate and influence
·Innovate and try new things
· Citizenship: No requirements
· Consanguinity: You have no family members (up to the fourth degree of consanguinity and second degree of affinity, including spouse) working at the IDB, IDB Invest, or IDB Lab.
Type of contract and duration
·International: International staff contract, 36 months initially, renewable upon mutual agreement.
What we offer
The IDB group provides benefits that respond to the different needs and moments of an employee’s life. These benefits include:
· A competitive compensation package
· Leaves and vacations: 24 days of paid time off + 8 personal days + sick leave + gender- neutral parental leave
· Health Insurance: IDB Group provides employees and eligible dependents with a robust medical benefits program which covers medical, dental, vision, preventive care, and prescription drugs.
· Pension plan: defined benefit pension plan that provides financial security and support employees in planning for their future.
· We offer assistance with relocation and visa applications for you and your family, when it applies
· Hybrid and flexible work schedules
· Health and wellbeing: Access to our Health Services Center which provides preventive care and health education for employees.
· Development support: We offer tools to boost your professional profile such as mentoring, 1:1 professional counseling, training and learning opportunities, language classes, mobility options, among others.
· Other perks: Lactation Room, Daycare Center, Gym, Bike Racks, Parking, Spouse Career Program, and others.
At the IDB Group we work so everyone brings their best and authentic selves to work, willing to try new approaches without fear, and where they are accountable and rewarded for their actions.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging (DEIB) are at the center of our organization. We celebrate all dimensions of diversity and encourage women, LGBTQ+ people, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job interview process. If you are a qualified candidate with a disability, please e-mail us at [email protected] to request reasonable accommodation to complete this application.
Our Human Resources Team reviews carefully every application.
About the IDB Group
The IDB Group, composed of the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), IDB Invest, and the IDB Lab offers flexible financing solutions to its member countries to finance economic and social development through lending and grants to public and private entities in Latin America and the Caribbean.
About IDB Invest
IDB Invest, a member of the IDB Group, is a multilateral development bank committed to promoting the economic development of its member countries in Latin America and the Caribbean through the private sector. IDB Invest finances sustainable companies and projects to achieve financial results and maximize economic, social, and environmental development in the region. With a portfolio of $16.3 billion in asset management and 394 clients in 25 countries, IDB Invest provides innovative financial solutions and advisory services that meet the needs of its clients in a variety of industries.
Apply for job
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this job posting.