United Nations Human Settlement Programme (UN-Habitat)
UN Women, the UN Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women has been created to accelerate up the process of meeting the needs of women and girls across the world. UN Women supports UN Member States as they set global standards for achieving gender equality and works with governments and civil society to design laws, policies, programs and services needed to ensure that the standards are effectively implemented and truly benefit women and girls worldwide. UN Women is at the forefront of the global drive to remove gender barriers and end discrimination, because we believe in a world of justice and human rights for everyone.
The joint (with IOM, UNICEF and FAO) project Empowerment of ‘Families left behind’ for improved Migration Outcomes in Khatlon, Tajikistan (MMPTF-funded), a part of which will be implemented jointly with the sought CSO- UN Women’s Responsible Party, observes a comprehensive approach, attention to good governance and capacity of local systems, a need to build awareness, knowledge and attitudes of the local population and a focus on longer term transformative gender investments. The project enjoys support and cooperation of Local Authorities; Committee on Women and Family Affairs (CoWFA) and its local Departments, Ministry of Health and Social Protection (MoHSP) and its local Departments, Ministry of Labour, Migration and Employment of Population (MoLMEP) and its local Departments, Migration Services (MS) and Departments of Agriculture. One of the objectives of the given project is to support comprehensive government engagement as a learning opportunity for government stakeholders at all levels. Ensuring that Evidence on ‘Families left behind’ is available to guide policy planning in the form of project data, coronavirus impacts research, research on factors contributing to abandonment, and implementation of Gender Responsive Budgeting, will be the basis for MoF, MEDT, MoMLEP and national and district level actors to increase their capacity to implement gender responsive policies, district action plans and allocated budgets.
The joint programme is nationally owned initiative anchored in the National Development Strategy for 2016-2030 and with a clear commitment to leave no one behind. The programme will promote evidence-based policies and actions backed by disaggregated data by gender and other vulnerability metrics. In the process of achieving programmatic results, the focus will be to build technical and managerial capacities and strengthening partnerships with key government institutions. Implementation of an integrated resource mobilization strategy also means that the programme will improve accountability and transparency of the government’s budgeting practices achieving the national SDG targets.
The assessment of gender gaps using GRB tools is an important component in establishing a good basis for subsequent activities to address gender inequalities through proper planning and budgeting. The content of gender assessment should address the impact of budget spending on gender equality in the districts of Khatlon region and identify entry points for mainstreaming gender to the policies and budgetary processes at the local level.
The International Consultant (IC) is expected to work together in a team with a National Consultant(s), who will provide support during the implementation of this consultancy tasks in analyzing district and oblast budgets to assess to what extend gender aspects are taken into account in their planning.
The programme is implemented in close partnership and coordination with Ministry of Finance (MoF), Ministry of Economic Development and Trade (MEDT), Ministry of Labour, Migration and Employment of the Population (MoLMEP).
Goal and objectives
The overall objective of the proposed consultancy is to provide support to MoF, MEDT and MoLMEP in identifying areas and how to mainstream gender using GRB as a tool in the framework of the Project “Empowerment of ‘Families left behind’ for improved Migration Outcomes in Khatlon, Tajikistan”.
Duties and Responsibilities
The IC will conduct, together with a National Consultant(s), the gender analysis of the budgetary expenditures of the 2 pilot districts of Khatlon region (Dusti and Kulyab) plus oblast level. The consultant will organize, facilitate, and lead on-site consultations (online), develop and share the data development methodology, and incorporate expert knowledge on gender assessment and possibilities of inclusion of GRB in programs and budgets of 2 pilot districts of Khatlon region. Upon completion of this assignment, the gender sectorial analysis will be developed and presented to employees of the pilot districts and the leadership of the Khatlon region.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under an overall guidance of the UN Women Country Program Manager and supervision of Project Coordinator, the International Consultant will perform, but will not necessarily be limited to, to the following tasks:
- Develop and submit a detailed work plan on conducting a gender assessment in 2 pilot districts of Khatlon region (Dusti, Kulyab) in Tajikistan;
- Review of relevant gender equality issues in 2 pilot districts of Khatlon region in particular in the context of migration and socio-economic challenges;
- Development of an algorithm for collecting data and information for civil servants in pilot districts and oblast level in Khatlon region;
- Conducting a gender assessment of budget expenditures and developing follow-up recommendations;
Thus, the content of gender assessment should include, but not be limited to the following:
- Desk research on gender equality issues in 2 pilot districts of Khatlon region and oblast level, in particular in the context of migration and socio-economic challenges;
- Conducting a gender analysis of budget expenditures in 2 pilot districts of Khatlon region and oblast level to improve budget planning, taking into account gender aspects:
- Hold an online meeting with 2 pilot districts of Khatlon region and oblast level:
- present the analysis methodology,
- discuss the availability of statistical and reporting data for analysis,
- designate time frames for collecting information,
- Analyse the budgets of the 2 pilot districts and oblast level and identify GRB entry points;
- Conduct a discussion-verification of the results of the budget analysis with the districts, as well as discuss the relevance of the proposed recommendations;
- Identification of gender gaps and suggestion of possible recommendations for the inclusion of GRB.
- Discussion of the proposed recommendations with representatives of the Khatlon region on making changes to the planning of budget expenditures of the 2 pilot districts, as well as discussion of the role of the regional leadership in the implementation of GRB.
- Based on the findings of the consultancy, prepare, jointly with the national consultant, a chapter on GRB at the local level for inclusion into the GRB Training Module at Academy of Public Administration (APA).
- Presenting the results of the gender assessment of budgets and the proposed recommendations for the inclusion of a gender approach in the planned budgetary expenditures both to the leadership of the pilot districts and the leadership of the Khatlon oblast;
- Development and submission of a final consultation report reflecting a general description of the completed assignment, including major achievements, major problems and limitations, and recommendations.
The IC will render remote technical support, review, and provide consultations to the national expert during updating the Training Module and testing of the Practical Guide on GRB Implementation. One time participating at the Training Program to civil servants and APA staff during testing knowledge product. The remote/online consultations will be provided by IC 2-3 times during the month until the end of the Project until May 2023.
UN Women will support the following:
- Support in facilitation of consultations with pilot districts and the leadership of the Khatlon region;
- Support in providing reference materials;
- Support in facilitation of coordination with key government and international stakeholders;
- Support in reviewing and finalizing the gender budget analysis.
|1.||The detailed work plan prepared and submitted on conducting a gender assessment in 2 pilot districts of the Khatlon region (Dusti and Kulyab) in Tajikistan||By 15 Feb. 2023|
|2.||Reviewed a gender equality issues in 2 pilot districts of Khatlon region and the region in particular in the context of migration and socio-economic challenges||By 20 Feb. 2023|
|3||Developed an algorithm for collecting data and information for civil servants in 2 pilot districts and oblast level in Khatlon region||By 10 March 2023|
|4.||The gender assessment of budget expenditures conducted and follow-up recommendations developed;
The content of gender assessment included the following:
|By 10 Apr. 2023|
|5.||The results of the gender assessment of budgets and the proposed recommendations for the inclusion of a gender approach in the planned budgetary expenditures both to the leadership of the pilot districts and the leadership of the Khatlon oblast presented and discussed;||By 20 April 2023|
|6||Developed and submitted of a final consultation report reflecting a general description of the completed assignment, major achievements, problems and limitations, and recommendations included.||By 20 May 2023|
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: https://www.unwomen.org/sites/default/files/Headquarters/Attachments/Sections/About%20Us/Employment/UN-Women-values-and-competencies-framework-en.pdf
- Possesses the ability to work independently, under pressure and meet deadlines;
- Good knowledge of technical area;
- Good organizational skills and ability to pay close attention to detail;
- Experience in report writing.
- Proven excellent communication and facilitation skills;
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree in one or more of the following disciplines: Social Science, Gender, Economics, Public Administration, Development Studies or related field.
- At least 5years of proven experience in working on gender equality;
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in the area of gender responsive budgeting;
- Demonstrated ability and track record in working with governments and development partners for Gender Responsive Governance initiation, analysis, roadmaps or studies (example should be attached);
- Familiar with Tajikistan and/or Central Asia context in terms of GRB implementation environment is of added value;
- Previous work and direct working relationships with UN agencies considered an asset.
Knowledge of languages:
- Fluency in English is required, knowledge of Russian is a considerable asset.
The application MUST include:
- Personal History Form (P-11 form) – including past experience in similar assignments; can be downloaded at http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment, a signed copy should be submitted;
- Financial Proposal: Specify a total lump sum amount for the tasks specified in this Terms of Reference. The financial proposal shall include a breakdown of this lump sum amount per deliverable. No extra payments will be made.
Candidates should have the ability to quickly produce degree certificates and medical certification (of good health) should they be short-listed in consideration of the consultancy post.
Payment for the services provided will be made by deliverables as per the below table upon achievement of expected results and approval of the deliverable and acceptance of services by the UN Women (PERF) that the services have been satisfactorily performed.
- First payment upon submission and approval of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd deliverables.
- Second payment upon submission and approval of the 4th and 5th deliverables.
- Final payment upon submission and approval of the 6th deliverables
Apply for job
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this job posting.