University of Glasgow
To undertake research of international excellence and contribute to knowledge exchange activities relative to the discipline, contribute to learning and teaching on agreed programmes and undertake administration and service activities in line with the School/College’s strategic objectives.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
1. Develop and progress individual/joint research projects of international standard in the subject area with the support of a mentor, as required.
2. Write up research findings/outcomes for publication in leading journals for dissemination as appropriate, identifying potential sources and contributing to funding applications as an individual or team member.
3. Contribute fully to developing and enhancing the research profile of the School/College, including establishing a track record of high-quality publications.
4. Contribute to the planning, organisation and delivery of teaching on undergraduate and/or postgraduate courses within the subject area in accordance with the subject’s priorities including accepting responsibilities as course co-ordinator for one or more courses.
5. Contribute to the on-going development and design of the curriculum in a manner that supports a research-led and scholarly approach to student learning and assessment in the discipline and/or profession.
6. Participate fully in examination and other assessment processes, as appropriate, using a variety of methods and techniques and to provide effective, timely and appropriate feedback to students to support their learning.
7. Contribute to the development of theory and practice in the subject area.
8. Supervise individual student projects at undergraduate and/or postgraduate level, and to contribute to the supervision and training of postgraduate research students, as appropriate, to ensure their effective development.
9. Take on administrative or management roles within the subject/School as assigned by the Head of School.
10. Engage in continuing professional development activities as appropriate.
11. Undertake any other reasonable duties as required by the Head of School.
12. To contribute to the enhancement of the University’s international profile in line with the University’s Strategic Plan, World Changers Together.
Knowledge, Qualifications, Skills and Experience
A1 Scottish Credit and Qualification Framework level 12 [PhD] in Film and/or Television Studies or equivalent professional and/or teaching experience in a similar or related role.
A2 Sufficient breadth and/or depth of knowledge in Film and/or Television Studies and of teaching methods and techniques to work within the subject area.
A3 Ability to communicate material of a specialist or highly technical nature and to be effective both orally and in writing at a level appropriate to the activity.
A4 Developing track record of research outputs compatible with enhancing the School’s research profile in accordance with School objectives.
A5 Thorough knowledge and ability to apply policy, practice and procedures including broader University/sector/external [e.g. commercial] awareness.
A6 Up-to-date knowledge and specialist understanding in the field with an ability to engage the interest and enthusiasm of students to inspire learning and to provide pastoral care to students within the subject area.
B1 Expertise in one or more of the following areas: Queer film and/or television, global majority television, interdisciplinary approaches to film and television.
C1 Ability to work on own initiative to contribute to the research and teaching activities within the subject area and wider School environment.
C2 Effective organisation skills to manage time and prioritise as appropriate research, teaching and administrative responsibilities.
E1 Experience of planning and progressing work activities within professional guidelines or organisational policy, applying initiative and independent judgement.
E2 Demonstrated commitment to open research, as appropriate to the discipline, through open data, open code, open educational resources and practices that support replication.
E3 Proven commitment to supporting the career development of colleagues and to other forms of collegiality appropriate to the career stage.
Terms and Conditions
Salary will be Grade 7, £38,474 – £43,155 per annum.
This post is full time and open ended.
As part of Team UofG you will be a member of a world changing, inclusive community, which values ambition, excellence, integrity and curiosity.
As a valued member of our team, you can expect:
1 A warm welcoming and engaging organisational culture, where your talents are developed and nurtured, and success is celebrated and shared.
2 An excellent employment package with generous terms and conditions including 41 days of leave for full time staff, pension – pensions handbook https://www.gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/payandpensions/pensions/, benefits and discount packages.
3 A flexible approach to working.
4 A commitment to support your health and wellbeing, including a free 6-month UofG Sport membership for all new staff joining the University https://www.gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/staff/healthwellbeing/.
The University of Glasgow is committed to equality, diversity, and inclusion and through this appointment it is our aim to develop candidate pools that include applicants from all backgrounds and communities. For this post, we particularly encourage applications from people from global majority ethnicities, LGBTQ+ identities, and disabled people. Read more on how the University promotes and embeds all aspects of equality and diversity within our Community www.gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/humanresources/equalitydiversity.
We endorse the principles of Athena Swan https://www.gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/humanresources/equalitydiversity/athenaswan/ and hold bronze, silver and gold awards across the University.
We are investing in our organisation, and we will invest in you too. Please visit our website https://www.gla.ac.uk/explore/jobs/ for more information.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this job posting.