King's College London
Job id: 069248. Salary: £41,386 – £48,414 per annum, including London Weighting Allowance.
Posted: 16 June 2023. Closing date: 02 July 2023.
Business unit: Professional & Continuing Education. Department: King’s Language Centre.
Contact details:Hongfen Zhou. [email protected]
Location: Strand Campus. Category: Academic & Teaching.
To be responsible for teaching Korean language modules and internal and external Korean courses offered by the Language Centre at King’s College and at partner institutions/organisations. To support the Team Leader and Deputy Team Leader in the planning, running and development of all activities related to the teaching and assessment of Korean courses. To develop and maintain scholarly projects related to Korean language and culture tuition.
About the King’s Language Centre
King’s Language Centre (LC) is a semi-entrepreneurial department with over 100 members of staff. It sits within the School of Professional & Continuing Education (PACE). It teaches up to 25 languages and welcomes over 6,000 students each year to a variety of language courses. It has two broad and entwined remits: to provide language teaching and support in a range of formats to members of the King’s community; and to proactively pursue income-generating teaching opportunities with businesses, organisations and the wider London community. The LC also includes the Language Resources Centre which supports independent language learning with specialist language resources and work areas for students and teachers. In addition to a variety of learning resources (including grammar and course books, magazines, newspapers, CDs, DVDs and online subscriptions), face-to-face learning support, cultural workshops and speaking practice sessions are also available.”
Set up 18 months ago, PACE’s role is to widen the educational reach of King’s as an integral part of the King’s lifelong learning offer and enhance the university’s scholarship of teaching and learning. The School offers an increasingly joined-up approach to a range of education experiences that are different to the typical degree, for individual learners, public and private sector groups, and partners, both in the UK and internationally. The School sits alongside the nine Faculties of the university and comprises six areas: King’s Academy, King’s Foundations, King’s Language Centre, King’s Online, King’s Professional & Executive Development and Summer Programmes. Each of these areas are well established, respected and recognised within and beyond the King’s community. PACE delivers teaching (King’s Foundations, Summer Programmes, King’s Language Centre) and works collaboratively with our nine Faculties enabling them to deliver professional and online education (KPED and King’s Online). The School also supports educational and learning development of King’s staff and students (King’s Academy, King’s Foundations).
This post will be offered on an indefinite contract
This is a full-time post – 100% full time equivalent
- Teaching Korean language and culture courses
- Setting and marking course work, formative and summative examinations
- Supporting the Team Leader and Deputy Team Leader in the effective running of all teaching and assessment activities, course development, events and programmes relating to credit-bearing and external courses
- Contributing to the organisation of student preparation sessions for internal and external examinations (revision classes, workshops, etc.)
- Assisting, as required, in the provision of the Learning Resources Centre and e-Learning facilities, and of the library, teachers’ and TEL resources
- Developing and maintaining an active scholarly portfolio of activities related to the teaching of Korean language and culture
- Playing an active role in the developing/trialling/evaluating of original and/or adapted teaching materials for use in classroom and/or self-access mode
- Participating in the departmental review, development and management of activities relating to course organisation and other functions, including staff management, student evaluations, quality control, etc., and in meetings convened for these purposes
- Supporting the LC to offer courses at other King’s campuses and other established institutions
- Attending regular team meetings
- Attending conferences and presenting papers
- Meeting King’s departments colleagues in relation to language students and teacher deployment
- Networking and representing the LC locally, attending King’s committee meetings and interest groups
- Updating staff members on conference reports and external events
Liaising with Team Leader and/or Deputy Team Leaders, Korean language teachers, other Deputy Team Leaders and Team Leaders, the Senior Programmes Officer, the TEL Officers (communication relating to online learning resources), members of the LC Professional Services staff regarding administrative procedures such as timetabling, assessment organisation, completion and publication of syllabi and week-by-week documents, external bodies and professional associations;
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this job posting.