Imperial College London
This is an exciting opportunity to work as a Library Assistant in Imperial College Library Services.
We are seeking applications from a broad range of candidates, including those who already have library experience, as well as people who have not worked in a library before but are interested in starting a career in libraries.
You will be based at Hammersmith Campus Library , at the Hammersmith Hospital campus, delivering a first-class library service to a diverse user base including students and staff from the Faculty of Medicine, other College library users and members of staff from partner NHS trusts.
You’ll be part of a small team who work closely with the other medical campus library teams and the rest of Library Services to deliver high quality, efficient and effective library services that support teaching, learning, research and clinical care.
As a Library Assistant you have an important role in ensuring all our users feel welcomed, supported and well informed. The role focuses on front-line user support and a high standard of customer care is required.
This is interesting time to join us at Hammersmith, with plans for a refurbishment and other projects and activities on the horizon to get involved with, beyond day to day duties.
Duties and responsibilities
You will be responsible for answering general enquiries, providing membership services and keeping the library operating smoothly and safely.
Key activities include:
- Welcoming library users at the Enquiries desk, assisting them (in person and via a variety of online platforms such as email and chat service) in the use of library services, resources and equipment using initiative and expertise to solve queries and issues or triage to other staff as necessary.
- User Services activities including, the registration of new users, creation and maintenance of user accounts, issuing and returning of books and other items, card payments, collection of statistics and ensuring appropriate user behaviour.
- Participating in shelving and tidying the book and journal stock and carrying out other stock management activities such as repairs, disposal, stock-checks and inter-library and inter-campus loans.
- Keeping the library in good condition for both users and other staff by identifying and appropriately reporting or resolving defects, faults and hazards in library equipment or spaces.
- At least 5 GCSEs grade A-C, or equivalent qualifications.
- Experience of providing excellent frontline customer services.
- Confident user of a variety of software e.g., Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel.
- Experience of using a computer-based library management system or database that manages stock, customers or similar, to manage and maintain accurate records and workflows.
- Strong interpersonal skills including an ability to relate to and support different users with varying needs empathically and inclusively.
- Strong, user-orientated customer service skills, with an ability to deal with a wide range of enquiries and find helpful solutions.
- Excellent oral and written communication, both face to face and via virtual or online platforms to communicate effectively internally and externally to a variety of colleagues and library users.
- Active team member, flexible, co-operative and dedicated to helping your team deliver a great service together.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision in a planned and managed way, while balancing your workload with new requirements of the wider team or immediate user needs.
- Ability to solve day-to-day problems and use initiative to react creatively and positively when faced with new situations or opportunities for change.
This is a part time and open ended position and you will be based in our Hammersmith Campus (0.6 FTE of 35 hours/week).
The spread of these hours across the week is open for the discussion with the successful candidate. The current hours are usually 9-5 Monday/Thursday/Friday however shorter hours spread across 4 or 5 days a week would also be considered.
This is a frontline, site-based position and not suitable for home or hybrid working.
Candidates will need to complete an online application with a statement. Submissions of CVs alone will not be considered.
Should you require any further details on the role please contact: Anita Quigley [email protected]
The College has a Race Equality Charter action plan in place, running initially for 3 years from 2021, receiving the bronze award in November 2021. There are several staff representation networks:
The Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) Centre provides advice, guidance and training for all staff to raise awareness of equality, diversity and inclusion, with senior leadership support including that of the Assistant Provost for EDI.
Library Services have hosted internal staff events focussed on the topic decolonising and what that means for libraries and library staff.
- There is an active online channel where staff share readings and events.
- Library staff have worked with colleagues on a visualisation tool to raise awareness of geographic bias in reading lists, and in 2022 began co-teaching a workshop which encourages discussion of reading lists and the curriculum for academic and teaching staff.
- Library staff work with Imperial As One to support and maintain the Imperial As One reading list.
Library staff are actively encouraged to attend external and internal training and development events on equality, diversity and inclusion.
- There are internal talent development programmes: IMPACT for Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic staff or those who identify as being from a minority ethnic group, and Calibre for staff who identify as neurodiverse or disabled, or who have a long term physical or mental health condition.
- The Imperial Essentials staff training programme includes a key module on equality, diversity and inclusion.
The College has family leave policies which are available to staff irrespective of gender identity, sexual orientation, gender expression, biological sex or if you are transitioning.
The College has a flexible working policy .
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this job posting.