Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
UN Women, the UN Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women has been created to accelerate up the process of meeting the needs of women and girls across the world. UN Women supports UN Member States as they set global standards for achieving gender equality and works with governments and civil society to design laws, policies, programs and services needed to ensure that the standards are effectively implemented and truly benefit women and girls worldwide. UN Women is at the forefront of the global drive to remove gender barriers and end discrimination, because we believe in a world of justice and human rights for everyone.
The joint (with IOM, UNICEF and FAO) project Empowerment of ‘Families left behind’ for improved Migration Outcomes in Khatlon, Tajikistan (MMPTF-funded), a part of which will be implemented jointly with the sought CSO- UN Women’s Responsible Party, observes a comprehensive approach, attention to good governance and capacity of local systems, a need to build awareness, knowledge and attitudes of the local population and a focus on longer term transformative gender investments. The project enjoys support and cooperation of Local Authorities; Committee on Women and Family Affairs (CoWFA) and its local Departments, Ministry of Health and Social Protection (MoHSP) and its local Departments, Ministry of Labour, Migration and Employment of Population (MoLMEP) and its local Departments, Migration Services (MS) and Departments of Agriculture. One of the objectives of the given project is to support comprehensive government engagement as a learning opportunity for government stakeholders at all levels. Ensuring that Evidence on ‘Families left behind’ is available to guide policy planning in the form of project data, coronavirus impacts research, research on factors contributing to abandonment, and implementation of Gender Responsive Budgeting, will be the basis for MoF, MEDT, MoMLEP and national and district level actors to increase their capacity to implement gender responsive policies, district action plans and allocated budgets.
The joint programme is nationally owned initiative anchored in the National Development Strategy for 2016-2030 and with a clear commitment to leave no one behind. The programme will promote evidence-based policies and actions backed by disaggregated data by gender and other vulnerability metrics. In the process of achieving programmatic results, the focus will be to build technical and managerial capacities and strengthening partnerships with key government institutions. Implementation of an integrated resource mobilization strategy also means that the programme will improve accountability and transparency of the government’s budgeting practices to achieve the national SDG targets.
The consultant shall provide support to the International and National Consultants (further GRB Consultants) in conducting Gender Sectorial analysis in pilot districts (Dusti and Kulyab) and at the oblast level, prepare and deliver a training on GRB at the local level to the local decision-makers.
The programme is implemented in close partnership and coordination with Ministry of Finance (MoF), Ministry of Economic Development and Trade (MEDT), Ministry of Labour, Migration and Employment of the Population (MoLMEP).
Goal and objectives
The overall objective of the proposed consultancy is to provide support to increasing knowledge of civil servants from MoF, MEDT and MoLMEP on GRB Implementation in local and national levels in the framework of the project “Empowerment of ‘Families left behind’ for improved Migration Outcomes in Khatlon, Tajikistan”.
Localize of the knowledge product by activating District Task Forces and their cooperation with CoWFA’s Information Consultative Centres (ICCs) and local NGOs, including GRB in context of C-19, and conduct workshops in 2 pilot districts (on a local level).
Duties and Responsibilities
The National Consultant will provide support to GRB Consultants in conducting Gender Sectorial analysis in 2 pilot districts (Dusti and Kulyab) and oblast level in the Khatlon region in Tajikistan. The NC will conduct on-site consultations (online/offline), share the data development methodology, and incorporate expert knowledge on gender assessment and possibilities of inclusion of GRB in programs and budgets of 2 pilot districts of Khatlon region.
The NC jointly with GRB Consultants, based on the findings of the consultancy, will prepare a chapter on GRB at the local level for inclusion into the GRB Training Module at Academy of Public Administration (APA), update and deliver trainings based on the updated knowledge products for Civil Servants and for the local decision-makers in two pilot districts and oblast level, ensure that the GRB Product will be prioritized, localized and tested in the form of trainings at the local and national levels.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under an overall guidance of the UN Women Country Program Manager and supervision of Project Coordinator, the National Consultant will perform, but will not necessarily be limited to, to the following tasks:
- Develop and submit a detailed work plan.
- Support to GRB Consultants in conducting a gender assessment in 2 pilot districts (Dusti & Kulyab) and oblast level in the Khatlon region in Tajikistan.
- Support in presenting the results of the gender assessment of budgets and the proposed recommendations for the inclusion of a gender approach in the planned budgetary expenditures both to the leadership of the pilot districts and the leadership of the Khatlon region.
- Based on the findings of the Gender Sectorial Analysis on Gender Responsive Budgeting (migration / socio-economic sector) in Khatlon, jointly with GRB Consultants, will update GRB Training Module & Practical Guide on GRB Implementation by developing and/or adding a chapter on GRB at the local level.
- Jointly with National Consultant conduct 2 days trainings of the new updated Training Module to the 20 civil servants from MoEDT, MoF, MoLMEP in APA;
- Jointly with National Consultant conduct 2 days workshops in 2 pilot districts (including oblast level employees) on GRB in context of COVID-19 totaling 40 participants and localize GRB implementation by activating District Task Forces and their cooperation with CoWFA’s Information Consultative Centers (ICCs) and local NGOs;
- Facilitate jointly with NC, at least 7 meetings with members of the District Task Force group, prepare meeting notes or briefs on working groups sessions, recommendations and challenges are documented and identified in piloting GRB;
- Development and submission of final consultancy report with reflection of the overall description of implemented assignment, including major achievements, main challenges and constraints, and recommendations.
The National Consultant will coordinate with APA while conducting training on GRB implementation. Work closely in Team with GRB Consultants, receive (online/offline) consultations until the end of the Project, May 2023.
UN Women will support the following:
- Support in facilitation of consultations with pilot districts and the leadership of the Khatlon region;
- Support in providing reference materials;
- Support in facilitation of coordination with key government and international stakeholders;
- Support in conducting trainings in APA and workshops in 2 pilot localities.
Deliverables (in-person and online)
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: https://www.unwomen.org/sites/default/files/Headquarters/Attachments/Sections/About%20Us/Employment/UN-Women-values-and-competencies-framework-en.pdf
- Possesses the ability to work independently, under pressure and meet deadlines;
- Good knowledge of technical area;
- Good organizational skills and ability to pay close attention to detail;
- Experience in report writing.
- Proven excellent communication and facilitation skills;
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree in one or more of the following disciplines: Social Science, Gender, Economics, Public Administration, Development Studies or related field.
- At least 10 years of proven experience in working on gender equality;
- Demonstrated ability and track record in working with governments and development partners on gender equality, women’s economic empowerment initiation, analysis, roadmaps or studies;
- Previous experience with Gender Responsive Budgeting and/or Governance is considered an asset;
- Previous work and direct working relationships with UN agencies considered an asset.
Knowledge of languages:
- Fluency in English, Russian and Tajik languages.
The application must include:
- Personal History Form (P-11 form) – including past experience in similar assignments; can be downloaded at http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment, a signed copy should be submitted;
- Financial Proposal: Specify a total lump sum amount for the tasks specified in this Terms of Reference. The financial proposal shall include a breakdown of this lump sum amount per deliverable. Travel expenses to be included (7 times travels to two pilot districts: Dusti and Kulyab. Two travels for conducting 2-days workshops, considering 2 overnights in 2 districts). The costs of DSA and travel expenses of the National Consultant to the 2 pilot districts (Dusti and Kulyab) of Khatlon Oblast will be covered by the Consultant himself/herself.
- No extra payments will be made.
Candidates should have the ability to quickly produce degree certificates and medical certification (of good health) should they be short-listed in consideration of the consultancy post.
Payment for the services provided will be made by deliverables as per the below table upon achievement of expected results and approval of the deliverable and acceptance of services by the UN Women (PERF) that the services have been satisfactorily performed.
- First payment upon submission and approval of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd deliverables.
- Second payment upon submission and approval of the 4th, 5th and 6th deliverables.
- Final payment in upon submission and approval of the 7th and 8th deliverables
Apply for job
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this job posting.