United Nations Development Programme
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The Operations Manager is a member of the Regional Office Senior Management team, together with the Regional Director and Deputy Regional Director. The Operations Manager provides leadership and advice on all aspects of office management and operations. This includes strategic financial and human resources management, efficient procurement and logistical services, ICT and common services, consistent with UN and UN Women rules and regulations and also acts as the Security Focal Point.
Reporting to the Deputy Regional Director, the Operations Manager is responsible for the smooth functioning and results oriented management of operations in the Regional Office and to facilitate programme implementation and delivery by providing for the operational needs of programmes and projects managed by the Region. The Operations Manager will also ensure Country Offices (COs) &Multi-Country Offices (MCOs) within the region are strengthened and supported in their operations, needs and queries in line with corporate administrative arrangements. The Operations Manager will provide feedback to the Division of Management and Administration on operational aspects in order to improve corporate operational procedures so they become compatible with regional needs. The Operations Manager will also ensure compliance with IPSAS accounting standards by reviewing business processes and systems.
Duties and Responsibilities
Manage and oversee the operations within the Region
- Serve as a member of the Senior Management team and provide advice and support to the Regional Director and Deputy Regional Director on operational issues;
- Oversee the work of Operation Teams in Country Offices (CO);
- Develop the annual workplan for the Operations Team and oversee its implementation and monitoring;
- Participate in review meetings to assess the managerial and operational capacities of implementing partners;
- Determine optimal techniques and business processes; lead business process mapping and establish internal standard operating procedures in all areas of the Operations Team’s functions in RO and COs;
- Oversee and monitor implementation of corporate, budget, financial, procurement, and HR policies and systems and ensure adequate training of staff and project personnel on these issues in RO and COs;
- Ensure a continuous and up-to-date flow of information between the RO and HQ and COs/MCO in the region;
- Oversee all operations activities, including finance, human resources, procurement, transport, administration and ensure they follow UN Women rules, regulations, policies and procedures;
- Manage staff in Operations Team: Finalize performance plans and evaluation standards; conduct performance assessments, provide feedback and coaching.
Manage planning, expenditure tracking and auditing of financial resources
- Ensure strategic and efficient management of office and programme financial resources;
- Exercise proper financial controls;
- Report at the regional level and to HQ on established structures; seek advice from HQ when deviations may be necessary;
- Work closely with HQ, COs, and MCOs on audit processes, including preparation and follow up and take corrective action as appropriate on audit findings and recommendations;
- Monitor and manage core and extra-budgetary resource allocations;
- Perform Manager Level 3 role in the ERP System for voucher and PO approvals;
- Ensure RO and COs/MCOs compliance with Internal Control Framework, Delegation of Authority, and segregation of duties and responsibilities.
Oversee procurement processes
- Manage the provision of goods and services for offices and projects following established corporate procedures regarding sub-contract review and awarding of contracts, evaluate for cost effectiveness and manage the negotiations in connection with eventual agreements; oversee procurement in COs;
- Oversee the preparation of procurement plans in RO and COs; participate/chair in local and regional Procurement Review Committees;
- Oversee RO assets and liabilities and ensure proper inventory control.
Oversee information and communications management
- Oversee the implementation of ICT systems;
- Ensure staff have access to the ERP System functionality for improved business results and improved client services;
- Oversee maintenance of a secure, reliable infrastructure environment for ICT and adequate planning for disasters and recoveries.
Serve as the focal point for security issues and ensure safety and security of staff
- Manage day-to-day security related matters; update personnel and dependents lists; provide reports;
- Brief senior management and staff on security matters and disseminate relevant information as advised by UNDSS, brief UN Women visitors on security;
- Ensure full compliance with MOSS and MORSS procedures on security of staff and office premises;
- Liaise with HQ-based Security Advisor, regional security specialist or their designated staff member on all security matters;
- Develop and maintain Business Continuity Plan for the RO, provide support to CO and MCOs.
Participate in inter-agency activities
- Represent UN Women in inter-agency meetings and working groups on operations issues to ensure UN Women’s interests are reflected in common system activities related to common services and premises, cost recovery and cost sharing arrangements, privileges and immunities, entitlements and salary surveys, security etc;
- Liaise with UNDP and other UN agencies on operational issues, activities, and collaboration.
- Lead Knowledge Sharing between the RO and COs
- Ensure knowledge is shared and adequately applied between the regional office and COs/MCOs in the region.
Key Performance Indicators:
- All services are provided in compliance with UN Women rules, regulations and policies
- Finances are properly identified and in a timely manner
- Timely and accurate implementation of procurement contracts
- Office has a reliable ICT infrastructure environment
- Safety and security systems are functioning effectively
- Performance of Staff
- Collaboration with other UN agencies on operational issues are effective and efficient
- Timely and quality service delivery to RO and advice to CO/MCOs
- Effective oversight to COs/MCOs
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance, HR, or related field is required.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least 7 years of progressively responsible experience at the national or international level, in office management, operations or finance;
- Experience in leading a team is required;
- Experience coordinating with partners and stakeholders is required;
- Experience in working in a computer environment using multiple office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems and ERP systems, preferably Oracle Cloud is required;
- Experience of accrual accounting, IPSAS or IFRS is highly desirable;
- Professional background in programming/ projects management is desirable.
- Fluency in English is required
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.
Recommend your friend
Duties and Responsibilities
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this job posting.
Health, Safety and Risk Labourer StudentValeThompson, MBThompson, MB
Assistant Professor (Computer Science – Software Engineering)University of SaskatchewanSaskatoon, SKSaskatoon, SK
Sessional Lecturer – MATB24H3 – Linear Algebra IIUniversity of TorontoToronto, ONToronto, ON
Jordan: Administrative AssistantInternews NetworkJordanJordan