London South Bank University
Duration of Scholarship
The scholarships is full-time. It is expected that those awarded Scholarships will submit their thesis no later than three years from enrolment.
Academic entry requirements
Applicants should have a minimum of an upper second class undergraduate degree, and ideally hold, or expect to achieve a merit or distinction in a master’s degree in a relevant subject from a UK university, or comparable qualifications from another recognised university. See: https://www.lsbu.ac.uk/international/your-country for guidance on entry requirements from different countries.
PhD Scholarship Details:
School of Engineering
Supervisor: Dr Hamed Rajabi
Email: [email protected]
Title: Multi-purposesurgical instruments (MSI) inspired by insect mandibles
Existing surgical instruments are mono purpose. Hence, surgeons need to frequently exchange them during operation, a currently inevitable action that poses significant safety risks to patients. Striking examples, analogous to surgical instruments, are insect mandibles. These specialised tools are structurally adapted to meet functional demands of fighting by combining multiple tasks. Inspired by mandibles, we will develop multi-purpose surgical instruments. Through novel biomimetic approaches and using parametric modelling, optimisation analysis, 3D printing and mechanical testing, we will design and manufacture instruments that can perform a combination of four functions of holding, squeezing, cutting, and piercing – the most common manoeuvres in surgeries.
Application Ref: MSIInsects-ENG
How to apply for a LSBU PhD Scholarship
- Applications must be made online.
International students not holding a UK passport must also satisfy the UK Government regulations for entry to study in the UK.
Please use this link Signin – London South Bank Unversity (lsbu.ac.uk)
- Follow the application process search for the School of Engineering, scroll down to see you see PhD Mechanical Engineering
- In the funding section put LSBU scholarship
- Where it asks for supervisor add Dr Rajabi and add Reference MSIInsects-ENG
- Add the above project title and project on a separate A4 document.
- You will also need to add two references, one of which must be an academic reference.
- You will also need to upload degree certificates and identity documents
Closing date for applications is: 30 June 2023
- Once your application is received it will be assessed by the lead supervisor and the supervisory team and a shortlist of candidates will be agreed.
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an online interview. The interview will assess the following:
- Reasons and motivations for undertaking a research degree and passion for the research topic
- Why you want to do a PhD at LSBU
- Ability for completing a PhD within the agreed time.
- Personal attributes such as creativity, confidence, tenacity, motivation, time management.
- Knowledge and understanding of research methods pertinent to the project. Be prepared to contribute your views on proposed methods of the selected project.
- Training and development need to undertake and compete a PhD successfully
- Additional needs necessary to complete the PhD successfully
- Your future career plans
- Other supporting information: recent publications if any or other research training and experience
We will inform you of the outcome of your application within two weeks of your interview.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this job posting.