University of Cambridge
Salary: £12,765.90 plus night shift allowance £1,261.84
Location: Cambridge, St Edmunds College
Contract type: Permanent, Part time, 21 hours
Predominately working 22:30PM – 07:00AM on a 3 on 5 off rolling rota*
Are you a problem solver who has great customer service skills? If so, St Edmunds College is looking for a Porter to join its friendly but busy team.
The Porters’ Lodge is a key service to the College, providing a contact Porter
point for mature students (over 21), Fellows, staff, visitors and guests, helping to facilitate all their individual needs.
The Porters’ Lodge work within their small teams and have responsibility for the day-to-day operation of the front desk, security and general operation of the College.
- Greeting visitors – acting as the first point of contact both virtually and face to face.
- Providing a welcoming checking in service for students, guests and staff as appropriate whilst ensuring access control.
- Being the first point of contact, dealing with emergencies (security, fire and first aid).
- Contacting facilities support out of hours.
- Checking vehicle parking rights, issuing notice, and reporting accordingly.
- Carrying out security patrols and having an oversight of the security cameras.
- Be aware of individuals on site and challenging unknown persons.
- Recording delivery and sorting/ franking of parcels and post.
- Top-up meal cards.
- Create meeting room bookings.
- Proactively support all the colleges events as required.
- Assisting in all procedures/events for the start of term/end of terms.
The successful candidate
The successful candidate will be calm under pressure with a can-do attitude. They will be able to respond to students & guests in an empathetic manner, understanding the issues whilst actively seeking solutions. An ability to prioritise is a must for this role, as you will have conflicting issues which you will need to overcome.
The successful candidate must have:
- Experience in Customer Service, reception, or Conference/Hotel environments.
- Experience of using Microsoft Word, Excel and IT systems.
- Experience in a college or security/ site safety environment is desirable.
If you feel that you fit most but not all of the above criteria, we would still love to hear from you.
As well as a great salary and friendly team you will also receive:
- Working daily allowance for food and drinks*
- Free car parking (where available)
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays (increasing with length of service)
- Generous pension contributions
- Discounts at restaurants, shops & more
- Outdoor gym
- Death in service
- Access to LinkedIn Learning & Business Disability Forum
About St Edmund’s College
St Edmund’s College is one of the 31 constituent colleges of the University of Cambridge. Our vibrant student body is made up of around 420 post-graduates and 130 mature undergraduates. With over 260 senior members – academics working at the cutting edge of their field or eminent members of their profession – and around 70 staff, you will be joining a dynamic and growing College with an ambitious vision for our role in shaping the future of higher education and collaborative research.
The maturity of our community means that we have earned a reputation as the friendly college. Relaxed, non-hierarchical and diverse, we pride ourselves on being a place in Cambridge where people of all backgrounds are welcomed, will feel at home and can flourish. Therefore, we welcome all candidates regardless of their demographic characteristics such as gender, race, disability, neurodiversity, religion, age, sex & sexual identity to apply for our opportunities.
*At times the college may require you to work, with notice, another shift pattern.
How to apply
To apply, please send your CV and Cover Letter to Nicky Chalklin, HR Administrator by email [email protected]
Closing date for completed applications: Sunday 25th June 2023
If you have informal enquiries about the post, please email the Head Porter, Kevin Atkins, on [email protected] or phone 01223 36125
In applying for this role, you will provide personal data which the College will process in accordance
With its data protection obligations and its Data Protection Policy:
Any offer of employment is subject to evidence of your right to work in the UK and the receipt of satisfactory references.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this job posting.