UNIVERSITY OF HELSINKI
The Computational Systems Medicine group led by Tero Aittokallio focuses on developing and applying integrated computational-experimental approaches to tackle biomedical questions, such as how genes function as interaction networks to carry out and regulate cellular processes, how perturbations in these networks contribute to complex traits, such as human diseases, and where and how in the disease network one should target to optimally inhibit disease phenotypes, such as tumour growth or metastasis.
The group is now seeking postdoctoral researcher, with strong computational and analytical skills, and an interest in implementing and applying machine learning and network-based approaches for AI-based drug repurposing and drug combination predictions, through analysing and integrating multi-omics data from pre-clinical and clinical resources. We will make use of publicly available resources for drug repurposing, such as Drug Repurposing Hub and clue.io, as well as in-house drug testing data from pre-clinical models.
The postdoc will be working in a multi-disciplinary environment at the Institute for Molecular Medicine Finland (FIMM), University of Helsinki and HiLIFE, which form one of the leading life science research institutes in the Nordics. The postdoc will work and receive support from a multi-centre consortium, REMEDI4ALL, a European-level eco-system that facilitates fast and cost-effective patient-centric implementation of repurposed medicines, meeting unmet medical needs in any disease area, but with specific focus on cancer. The position will offer a vantage point in the rapidly developing field of drug repurposing. FIMM offers an exciting opportunity to work at the forefront of science and technology to improve human health and well-being. We are a dynamic and highly motivated organization with a friendly, flexible, and supportive working culture. Our multicultural and multidisciplinary organisation provides an international and inclusive environment that fosters creativity and diversity, and a relaxed workplace with a Nordic style of work-life balance.
- Application, testing and further development of data analytic solutions for drug repurposing, and keeping track of the newest methods in this fast developing field
- Implementation of in-silico drug repurposing methods currently missing in the field
- Provision of bioinformatics support for the REMEDI4ALL researchers and users as a part of multi-disciplinary team of scientists from FIMM and other partner insititutes
- Mentoring and training junior researchers (undergraduate, Master and PhD students)
- PhD degree in computer science, computational biology, bioinformatics, chemoinformatics, or other relevant field
- Strong communication skills in English and project management and reporting skills
- Excellent computational and programming skills (e.g. Python, R) and ability to work with version control tools (e.g. Git)
- A solid publication track record and a strong background in machine learning, network analysis, and analysis of large-scle drug testing and omics datasets
- Previous experience in drug repurposing is considered an advantage
- High work capacity and productivity
- Commitment to meeting deadlines
- Motivated and solution oriented
- Multidisciplinary communication skills
- Motivated to help other researchers
What can we offer?
- An international and dynamic working environment
- Access to unique and high-quality data resources
- Flexible working hours and experienced supervision
- Possibility to travel and collaborate in the EU project
- Career mentoring as part of FIMMPOD programme
Salary & contract: Initially a two year contract is available for the position, starting September 1, 2023 (negotiable), with a possibility for extension pending successful review. The salary will be in commensurate with qualifications based on the university salary system depending on the credentials, previous experience and performance of the postdoctoral researcher. Normal starting salary is 3500-4200 euros. There will be a trial period of 6 months.
The University of Helsinki offers comprehensive services to its employees, including occupational health care and health insurance, sports facilities, and opportunities for professional development. The University provides support for internationally recruited employees and their family members with their transition to work and life in Finland. For more information, please see https://www.helsinki.fi/en/about-us/careers .
How to apply:Application deadline is July 30, 2023. Please submit as a single pdf file:
- Free formatted Motivation letter with highlighted previous experience (1-2 pages)
- Detailed CV and publication record
- Contact details of two potential referees who have agreed to provide letters of recommendation
Please submit your application via the University of Helsinki Recruitment System by clicking the ‘Apply now’ button. If you need support with the recruitment system, please contact [email protected] . For further information of the position, contact Tero Aittokallio .
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this job posting.