European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
The EBRD has entered into an agreement with the European Commission to co-finance projects using the EU’s InvestEU guarantee. The position holder will be the Climate Strategy and Delivery (CSD) team’s programme manager for InvestEU. This will entail a wide variety of tasks, including managing and providing the climate-related inputs into submissions, managing the approvals process, managing and where needed conducting the technical and policy assessments (particularly Climate Proofing and green finance tracking); managing the project-level climate policy discussions; and supporting the monitoring and reporting requirements.
Accountabilities and Responsibilities:
The position-holder will programme manage, and lead where relevant, all parts of the InvestEU Programme that relate to the work of the Climate Strategy and Delivery (CSD) team, including:
Technical and policy alignment:
- Coordinating and completing all climate-related documentation needed for the EU approvals processes related to the supported projects. These will include documentation on policy checks, Climate proofing, economic appraisal, InvestEU scoreboards and InvestEU Investment Committee approval documentation. This will need to be done in close coordination with other colleagues working on the Environmental and Social Proofing processes, and also the EBRD internal approvals processes.
- Ensuring that projects proposed under the relevant co-financing arrangements are aligned with relevant EU policy and regulatory aspects, e.g. the EU ETS Directive, Energy Efficiency, Renewable Energy, Transport, Alternative Fuels, Energy Performance for Buildings, etc.
- Ensuring consistency with state aid considerations as laid out in the InvestEU agreement. Liaise internally and with the European Commission on clarifications of these considerations.
- Ensuring that the EU’s methodological processes related to Sustainability proofing (especially Climate Proofing) and Climate and Environmental Finance tracking are followed, and the appropriate documentation is created and submitted. Ensure consistency with EBRD’s own policies and methodological approaches.
- Arranging for and conducting economic appraisal of projects while maintaining responsibility for coordinating the engagement with the EU approvals processes.
- Leading or coordinating, as relevant, the climate policy alignment discussions with the EU institutions (e.g. DG ECFIN, DG CLIMA, DG ENER, DG ENVI, DG GROW, DG MOVE), for projects that fall under EU co-financing agreements.
- Coordinating the market research and analysis necessary to demonstrate project-level compliance and alignment with EU policies and regulation, where necessary hiring consultants to conduct targets studies for this purpose.
- Contributing to the development and implementation of concessionality and additionality approaches to be applied as part of EBRD donor funded financing instruments.
Pipeline Development and Management:
- Reviewing the EBRD pipeline to identify suitability of potential projects for inclusion into the relevant co-financing agreements.
- Providing early support to operation leaders as needed on technical cooperation and investment project preparation. Facilitate implementation of relevant donor facilities by managing internal information and awareness, e.g. by drafting and updating operational manuals and instruction sheets for teams using the relevant co-financing instruments.
- Monitoring implementation and provide updates and reports for donors as needed and in coordination with the Bank’s Donor Co-Finance team and other relevant colleagues.
- Other duties related to the work programme of the Climate Strategy and Delivery Department as relevant from time to time. This includes:
- Supporting the EBRDs work structuring green products and programmes, particularly those with co-financing or concessional components. This includes providing support to EBRD operation leaders as needed on technical cooperation, policy dialogue activities and investment project preparation. It also involves supporting the continuing development of EBRD co-financing business models and tools towards climate and environmental objectives.
- Participating in relevant external policy and methodology working groups related to climate and environment (for example, at the EU level, amongst multilateral development banks or with leading market initiatives).
Knowledge, Skills, Experience & Qualifications:
Education and Skills:
- Relevant degree such as finance, economics, engineering or climate policy.
- Excellent understanding of climate, energy and resource policy and technical aspects, preferably with in-depth understanding of one or more specific topics or sectors.
- Excellent understanding of EU climate policy and legislation.
- Familiarity with EU State Aid guidelines including in relation to projects contributing to the climate and environment.
- Familiarity with blended finance instruments and concessional policy considerations.
- Understanding of green and climate aspects of markets, especially those in and around the EU.
- Qualitative and quantitative skills and experience.
- Computer literate (Excel, MS Office suite).
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- Substantial experience in a consulting, finance, engineering, research/policy or comparable environment.
- Understanding of the EBRD region advantageous, especially countries of operation in the EU.
- Understanding of the EU institutions and funding landscape.
Recommend your friend
Technical and policy alignment:
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this job posting.
FACILITIES MANAGEMENT ASSISTANTBioversity InternationalNaqoura, LebanonNaqoura, Lebanon
Grants CoordinatorCarnegie Endowment for International PeaceWashington, D.C.Washington, D.C.
IDB2986 – Project Financial Management SpecialistIslamic Development BankEgyptEgypt
RFP/JURE/2303/17 Civil Society Organization Engagement Strategy DevelopmentAnywhereAnywhere