World Resources Institute (WRI)
VACANCY NOTICE NUMBER: VN21-2023-SF18631-SC-PAS-G4
Parent Sector : Field Office
Duty Station: Bangkok
Job Family: General Administrative Support
Type of contract : Non Staff
Level : SB-2 SC-4
Duration of contract : 1 year
Recruitment open to : External candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Bangkok Time) : 07-APR-2023
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Only candidates who have the right to live and work in Thailand may apply for this position.
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) was founded on 16 November 1945 as the United Nation’s specialized agency. It contributes to peace and security by promoting international cooperation in education, sciences, culture, communication and information. UNESCO promotes knowledge sharing and the free flow of ideas to accelerate mutual understanding and a more perfect knowledge of each other’s lives. UNESCO Bangkok has a dual role as both the Asia and Pacific Regional Bureau for Education and as a Cluster Office in the Asia-Pacific region. As a cluster office, UNESCO Bangkok helps to implement all UNESCO programmes (education, sciences, culture and communication and information) in Thailand, Myanmar, Lao PDR, Singapore, and indirectly in Viet Nam and Cambodia, in cooperation with the country offices and the antenna office. UNESCO Bangkok also hosts the Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific of the UNESCO Institute for Statistics (UIS), which serves to strengthen the capacities of Member States to produce high-quality data and statistics in the areas covered by the UNESCO mandate. It also hosts the UNESCO/IOC Sub-Commission for the Western Pacific (WESTPAC) which is the regional body of the Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (UNESCO/IOC) for the Western Pacific and its adjacent areas.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the overall authority of the Director of the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) Asia-Pacific Regional Bureau for Education and the direct supervision of the UNESCO Head of Unit, the incumbent shall, as a team member, provides support in the organization and delivery of programme activities/projects carrying out range of office support and administrative functions:
- Produce complete and in final form documents, publications and correspondence related to the work of the Section/ Unit from draft texts. Search, locate, compile, review and update information and data used in the development of documents, work plans and budgets; ensure accuracy and compliance with the approved amounts; enter data in, and run reports from automated systems in order to support preparation of regular and ad-hoc budgetary/ financial updates, reporting on programme/ project delivery, statistics and/ or projections for use and scrutiny by the supervisor(s) or responsible manager. Provide administrative support for fund raising initiatives.
- Prepare a variety of administrative documentation using examples or templates; initiate administrative procedures and ensure follow-up, including payment follow-up in collaboration with the AO/EO Office. Inform team members of specific administrative processes and related procedures to support work planning and timely and coordinated execution of work; follow-up and alert team members of outstanding payments, timeframes and bottlenecks. Perform general administrative tasks such as leave and attendance recording; maintain files (both paper and electronic) and databases for work unit and assist in providing software and office equipment support.
- Organize official meetings, events and workshops by booking venues, equipment and providing other related logistical support. Organize official travel in conjunction with meetings, events and workshops; make travel arrangements; track and prepare itinerary and agenda; facilitate travel by providing/ clarifying information and preparing the necessary documentation such as visa applications. Provide administrative support for the events; collate/ format information and data for presentation in final form; inform participants; organize the distribution of documentation; collect minutes/ information/ documentation and prepare associated documentation.
- Receive, analyze, sort, register and distribute correspondence and documents; update and maintain large distribution lists and process requests for data and reports; determine the importance and priority of documents received and follow-up, draft correspondence and emails; review, proofread and edit outgoing correspondence according to standard practices and protocol ensuring proper grammar, spelling and punctuation; recommend changes/ corrections; and handle arrangement for translations of documents. Maintain information systems and databases in both physical and electronic media by recording, updating and retrieving information, documentation and data. Assist in the preparation of presentation materials using appropriate technology/software.
- Respond to enquiries and follow up on routine outstanding matters; route information and queries as appropriate; provide information to supervisor(s) and colleagues; make appointments, receive visitors and take telephone calls, answering enquiries and/or referring them to the specialist/ service concerned. Liaise with various internal services to obtain additional information/ clarifications. Provide guidance to short-term/ temporary staff on general office processes and procedures, automated systems, computer applications, etc.
- Perform additional activities that may be required to ensure the success of the work team.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
- Completed secondary, technical and/or vocational education.
- Minimum four (4) years (with Secondary education), or, minimum one (1) year (with Bachelor’s Degree) of relevant experience in secretarial, and/or general administrative or programme support, accountancy or finance or related field, preferably in an international environment.
Skills and competencies
- Good organizational, coordination and planning skills.
- Capacity for accuracy and attention to detail in preparation of correspondence and documents.
- Good interpersonal skills and communication skills, including good drafting skills in English and Thai.
- Discretion, good sense of judgement and capacity to deal efficiently and tactfully with people of different cultural backgrounds.
- Cooperative behaviour and attitude to work in a team successfully.
- Good computer skills with proficiency in the use of MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel. PowerPoint, etc.).
- Ability to work under pressure and flexibility to adjust work schedules and priorities.
- Excellent knowledge of English and Thai.
- Bachelor’s degree (or above) in business administration, media and communication studies, political science, humanities or related areas.
- Experience in providing programme and administrative support services.
- Relevant work experience in an international environment/organization/institution.
- Experience in drafting communication materials.
- Experiences in supporting the preparation for contracts, data-entry for processing budget operations, and financial monitoring will be an asset.
- Knowledge of other official UN languages (i.e. Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish) will be an asset.
Interested applicants should click on “Apply Now”, and download and complete the Employment History form (Word document).
Prior to uploading the document, at the end of the Word document, please insert extra pages with the following required information: a cover letter; and a full resume (stating details of educational qualifications and work experience, present income, home and office contact addresses, email address, telephone numbers and three references).
Please note that all candidates must complete an online application and provide complete and accurate information. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
UNESCO recalls that paramount consideration in the appointment of staff members shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, technical competence and integrity. UNESCO applies a zero-tolerance policy against all forms of harassment. UNESCO is committed to achieving and sustaining equitable and diverse geographical distribution, as well as gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Candidates from non- and under-represented Member States (last update here) are particularly welcome and strongly encouraged to apply. Individuals from minority groups and indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
Apply for job
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this job posting.