Food and Agriculture Organization
The Office of the Deputy Director-General (DDCT) supports the strategic coordination and oversight functions of the divisions and offices (Stream) under the direct responsibility of the Deputy Director-General (DDG): Human Resources Division (CSH), Finance Division (CSF), Logistics Services Division (CSL), Office of Emergencies and Resilience (OER), Regional Offices (ROs), Liaison Office with the European Union and Belgium in Brussels (LOB), Liaison Office with the United Nations in Geneva (LOG) and Liaison Office for North America in Washington, D.C. (LOW). The Office of DDGT’s primary responsibility is geared towards ensuring an enabling and supporting environment for FAO’s delivery, with focus on optimizing management systems, administrative service delivery and ensuring operational support capacity at all locations. It further ensures the strategic coordination of Decentralized Offices (DOs).
The position is located in the Programme Support Unit (PBSU) of the Office of the Deputy Director-General (DDCT), at FAO headquarters, in Rome, Italy.
The Programme Support Officer reports to the Senior Adviser to the Deputy Director-General (DDG) and works in close collaboration with the Office of the DDG and senior level staff in the DDCT stream.
- Advises and supports the divisions and offices of the Stream in financial and administrative matters and coordinates retrieval and analysis of data from a variety of sources, including FAO’s administrative systems;
- Participates in multidisciplinary teams/cross sectoral working group, leads and/or participates in internal administrative and organizational reviews and change management-related issues;
- Provides effective support to the development, implementation, review and monitoring of assigned work programmes and/or projects, e.g. monitors and analyses programme/project formulation, development and implementation, reviews and evaluations as well as elaboration of relevant analysis, documents and reports; identifies significant issues and proposes well-reasoned, innovative approaches to deal with these issues;
- Coordinates activities related to budget and funding, and prepares related documents and reports (work plans, programme budget, human resources (HR) planning, financial statements, periodic budgetary reports);
- Participates in policy reviews and development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of impact evaluation or equivalent studies;
- Provides substantive backstopping (e.g. review of agenda, preparation of documents, presentations, and proposed meetings delivery) to consultative and other meetings (including FAO technical meetings and Statutory and Governing Bodies sessions if/as required);
- Organizes and prepares or consolidates written outputs, e.g. background papers, comments/inputs to internal/external audit reports, evaluations and studies as well as inputs to publications;
- Provides advice and guidance to FAO Divisions and Offices, programmes and projects within the Stream, as well as suggests streamlining of administrative procedures to relevant policy/business owners;
- Participates as required, in large, complex reviews, including provision of contributions and guidance to external review members and consultants, and provides inputs to mission summaries and reports;
- Contributes to the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for planning and knowledge building purposes;
- Initiates and coordinates outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, etc.; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
- Manages and supervises the unit team, as delegated.
- Oversees and monitors the Programme of Work and Budget cycle for the Divisions and Offices under the oversight of the DDG.
- Advises and supports Divisions and Offices under the oversight of the DDG in identifying/implementing potential business improvement for increased efficiency and effectiveness, while ensuring due consultation with relevant stakeholders.
- Advises Divisions and Offices under the oversight of the DDG on administrative and management issues, including strategic reorganization and business process changes.
- Supports the budget and workforce planning of the Divisions and Offices under the oversight of the DDG.
- Supports the improvement of monitoring processes and tools.
- Coordinates the Stream’s inputs to major corporate reporting exercises, including periodic budgetary reporting and programme implementation reports, and supports the validation process of corporate internal control initiatives.
- Facilitates interactions of Divisions and Offices under the oversight of the DDG with audits and other internal or external reviews/assessments.
- Facilitates interaction and joint action between business owners and DOs in relation to business improvement and streamlining of processes.
Candidates Will Be Assessed Against The Following:
- Advanced university degree in business administration or public administration, management, social science, political science, economics or a related field.
- Seven years of relevant experience in project or programme management, administration or related area.
- Working knowledge (proficient – level C) of English and limited knowledge (intermediate – level B) of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions.
- Extent and relevance of experience in programme/project formulation, analysis, planning and implementation.
- Extent and relevance of experience in the field of administration, human resources, finance and management.
- Extent of knowledge of planning and budgetary processes and associated policies, procedures and tools.
- Understanding of FAO policies and programmes is considered a strong asset.
- Working knowledge (proficient – level C) of another FAO official language is considered a strong asset.
Recommend your friend
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this job posting.