UNHCR - United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
Hardship Level (not applicable for home-based)
A (least hardship)
Family Type (not applicable for home-based)
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
Target Start Date
Job Posting End Date
June 29, 2023
Terms of Reference
Private Sector Partnerships (PSP) Unit Internship
UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is offering an internship position within the Private Sector and Philanthropy Partnership unit in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, protects people forced to flee their homes because of conflict and persecution. We work in over 130 countries, protecting millions of people by responding with life-saving support, safeguarding fundamental human rights and helping them build a better future.
Title: PSP Intern or PPH Intern
Duty Station: Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Duration: 6 Months
Contract Type: Internship (monthly allowance will be provided, as per UNHCR policy)
Closing date: two weeks advertisement
Start date: 1 September 2023
Salary: 6555 SAR – 1750 USD
The Private Partnerships and Philanthropy unit (PSP) division in MENA is primarily focused on raising funds and awareness from the private sector across the MENA region. This is done both online and offline and with a wide range of partners to include high net worth individuals, corporations and foundations. PSP focuses on advocating for refugees and other people of concern using multiple channels of engagement, such as digital and direct relationship management.
In Saudi Arabia, PSP works in partnership with the King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Centre (KSRelief) to support its programs throughout the world.
UNHCR’s Private Sector Partnerships and Philanthropy (PSP) division in Riyadh is looking for a bright and motivated intern to support its activities for six months.
We are seeking a dynamic and proactive team player, with a strong interest in Corporate Social Responsibility, the non-profit sector, and refugee issues, to complete a six-month internship within UNHCR’s PSP unit.
The PSP unit works to raise the profile of UNHCR among the private sector, enhance the image of UNHCR internally and works across UNHCR divisions, sections and the field to promote an integrated approach and to inspire engagement with the public (individuals, corporations and foundations).
He/she will work closely with the PSP team to support the activities of the division.
Duties and responsibilities:
Under the overall supervision of the Senior PSP Officer, the main tasks of the PSP Intern will be the following:
• Provide ongoing market research to identify new prospects and analysis support and produce concise summaries for different projects. The research should include high-net-worth individuals, foundations, corporates, etc.
• Support account managers in creating, compiling, and recording (Salesforce) cultivation plans for priority prospects.
• Support account managers in the due diligence for the potential partners.
• Support account managers in preparing the necessary research and materials for upcoming meetings with prospects and follow up with account managers on meeting outcomes and due tasks.
• Support in organizing meetings and events as needed.
• Support the communication and campaign team on donor’s visibility such as through videos, press releases/conferences, events, and social media.
• Provide support to account managers in drafting and shaping project concept notes, proposals, and progress reports.
• Other tasks as required.
Essential minimum qualifications and professional
• Fluency in written and spoken Arabic and English is imperative with advanced writing and editing skills.
• A passion for refugee affairs, and for UNHCR’s work.
• Awareness of humanitarian affairs, and good writing skills.
• Attention to detail and a results-oriented team player.
• Have excellent communication skills with strong interpersonal and negotiation skills.
• Familiarity with the private sector and/or philanthropic institutions in Saudi Arabia a plus.
The successful candidate will be based with the team in Riyadh. Our Office is in the Diplomatic Quarter, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
Arrangements for travel, including travel arrangements to and from the location where the internship will be carried out, are the responsibilities of interns.
Interns engaged from a location outside the country of the duty station are entitled to a refund for return travel costs to/from the duty station by the most economical route. Reimbursement shall be limited to the authorized return travel between the Intern’s country of residence and the Intern’s duty station, or actual route of travel, whichever is lower
• Be a recent graduate (graduated within 2 years from the time of application) or current student in a graduate/undergraduate school programme from a university or higher education facility accredited by UNESCO;
• Have completed at least two years of undergraduate studies in a field relevant or of interest to the work of the Organization.
• Not have immediate relatives (father, mother, brother, or sister) working for UNHCR as a staff member on any contract type or as an affiliate at the time of application.
The internship is for Six months, and the start date is in September 2023. It is a full-time role with working hours starting from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
Non-citizen candidates will have to arrange for their own residency visa in Riyadh. Candidates holding valid Saudi residency visa are encouraged to apply. Kindly mention your residency status in the application.
Recruitment as a UNHCR staff member and engagement under a UNHCR affiliate scheme or as an intern is subject to proof of vaccination against Covid-19.
Interns who do not receive financial support from an outside party will receive an allowance of 6555 SAR (1750 USD) to partially help to cover the cost of food, local transportation and living expenses.
Interested applicants should submit their letter of motivation, through Workday.
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions.
UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity
Standard Job Description
This position doesn’t require a functional clearance
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this job posting.