The International Rescue Committee helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their future. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC works with people forced to flee from war, conflict, and disaster and with the host communities that support them, as well as with those who remain within their homes and communities. At work today in over 40 countries and 25 U.S. cities, the IRC restores safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure.
The Global Real Estate and Workplace Solutions (GREWS) team advises on, creates, and manages workplaces that meet the needs of IRC staff and clients. The US Workplace Solutions team manages IRC’s headquarters offices in New York City and Washington with approximately 600 staff from different organizational units.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Workplace Solutions, and under the supervision of the NYHQ Manager, Workplace Solutions, the person in this position is the face and voice of IRC’s HQ. The person will answer incoming calls on IRC’s main phone line and greet and support all visitors and new staff. In addition, the position will support the HQ workplace team. This position is also the face of the HQ office, and should be approachable, display a positive and welcoming demeanor, and always being willing to assist.
- Answer the organization’s main telephone line and transfer calls to the appropriate parties as needed; Provide publicly accessible information to callers such as organization’s mailing address[SF1] , fax number, website, and directions to publicly accessible office locations. Must use critical thinking skills to communicate information to appropriate parties.
- Effectively communicate with entire organization using internal systems i.e., Teams and email. Present an outstanding impression when greeting visitors. Verify the visitor’s identification and vaccination status and provide them with a visitor ID card. Immediately notify the host employee of their visitor’s arrival.
- On behalf of internal staff, input visitor names into the building security system.
- Provide visitors guest Wi-Fi information and access.
- Assist visitors with booking available desks and/or meeting rooms as needed.
- Assign lockers to new staff and assist staff that has forgetting the locker code.
- Coordinate the access of staff to the bike room, lactation rooms or other as-needed-access, including modifying permissions of their access badges.
Service Request triage and dispatch
- Triage and respond to incoming service requests and dispatch them to the technical team if necessary.
- Check daily in the ServiceNow dashboard for client feedback to a work request, and follow-up with client, manager and technicians as needed.
- Send a daily report on conference room bookings.
- Monitor necessary event support together with the Workplace Solutions Manager, Senior Associate, Department Manager, and AV/IT team. This support may include event set-up with requested furniture and supplies, coordination of catering, and the coordination of audio/visual services.
- Assist Workplace Management Team with administrative tasks and projects as needed.
- Assist with other workplace-related operational tasks, especially during emergencies or when staffing levels are low.
- Monitor overall office appearance and alert GREWS team members of any issues.
Key Working Relationships:
- IT Help Desk & A/V
- Building Security
- Events Teams
- Department Focal Points/Leads
- 3rd party vendors
- Associate Degree or equivalent work experience.
- 2 years confirmed receptionist experience in a large organization.
- Microsoft Office suite experience required.
- Experience working in a non-profit, association, or similar organization preferred.
- Exposure to MS Teams, Box, and workspace reservation software a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to effectively engage with a variety of people while maintaining a friendly and calm customer service demeanor.
- Must be well-organized, reliable, professional, detail oriented and flexible.
- Ability to prioritize tasks in a fast-paced work environment.
- Track-record of continuous process improvement preferred.
- Able to work effectively as part of a team or independently.
Travel and Flexwork
- No travel required.
- Receptionist is expected to be in the office daily, with working hours of 8am to 4:30pm or as agreed with GREWS leadership.
- Standard office working environment.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement:
In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires new hires to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for any in-office or hybrid positions. All IRC US offices require full vaccination to attend any in-office functions (e.g., meetings, trainings).
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity:
IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
We offer a comprehensive and highly competitive set of benefits. In the US, these include: 10 sick days, 10 US holidays, 20-25 paid time off days (depending on role and tenure), medical insurance starting at $145 per month, dental starting at $7 per month, and vision starting at $5 per month, FSA for healthcare, childcare, and commuter costs, a 403b retirement savings plans with up to 4.5% immediately vested matching contribution, plus a 3-7% base IRC contribution (3 year vesting), disability & life insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program which is available to our staff and their families to support counseling and care in times of crisis and mental health struggles.
Posted pay ranges apply to US-based candidates. Ranges are based on various factors including the labor market, job type, internal equity, and budget. Exact offers are calibrated by work location, individual candidate experience and skills relative to the defined job requirements.
Use critical thinking in order to transfer information to the appropriate parties [SF1]
How to apply