- Full-time, Fixed Term position for 12 months
- Salary Level Academic A + 17% Superannuation
- Based at the Bundoora campus, but may be required to work and/or be based at other campuses of the University
About the Role
As Research Assistant (Postdoctoral), you will carry out independent and/or team research on a research project funded by the Flemish Agency for Innovation and Entrepreneurship (VLAIO) and supported by Aligos Therapeutics.
This project aims to assess the impact of antiviral compounds on the structure and assembly competence of the Hepatitis B virus (HBV) and viral proteins. The project pursues the development of novel strategies to meet the goals of the National Strategy for hepatitis B in terms of hepatitis B cure. The research will assess the impact of antiviral compounds on HBV structure, function and immunogenicity and involve a combination of biochemical, cell culture, cell biology, virology, and immunological techniques.
To be successful in this position, you will have:
- PhD in the area of Microbiology/Immunology/Biotechnology or a related field
- A protective immune status against Hepatitis B Virus
- Evidence of experience in molecular biology techniques including gene cloning/sequencing, recombinant protein expression and purification
- Evidence of experience in cell culture techniques including transfection, maintenance of mammalian cell lines and awareness of sterile techniques and safe handling protocols for infectious material
- Expertise with molecular immunology and cellular biochemistry with immunoassays (ELISA immunoblot, immunoprecipitation), immunofluorescence and flow cytometry
- Excellent record keeping skills, and proven ability to prepare accurate and timely reports
- Evidence of research output including publications, conference contributions and/or technical reports in the field
- Ability to work autonomously whilst displaying a strong commitment to work in a team environment, including the demonstrated ability to confidently and effectively work with colleagues, project team leaders, and industry partners
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and effectively manage varying workloads and respond to changing priorities as required
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills appropriate for interacting with higher degree by research candidates, staff and industry
Please Note: Appointment to this position is subject to passing a Working with Children and National Police Check.
About the Group
The School of Science provides more than 45 bachelor and postgraduate programs to 5,000 students and undertakes world-class research across the disciplines of:
- biosciences and food technology
- applied chemistry and environmental science
- mathematical sciences
- geospatial sciences
- computer science (information technology and software engineering)
Across the City and Bundoora campuses, the School employs more than 260 academic staff (including 70 research intensive staff), 35 professional staff, as well as 430 casual and sessional staff, and supervises almost 400 Higher Degree by Research candidates.
Please submit your CV and covering letter addressing the Key Selection Criteria for this position by clicking on the ‘Apply‘ link at the top of this page.
For further information about this position, please click on the Position Description hyperlink below or contact Associate Professor Paul Ramsland via email [email protected] .
Position Description – Research Assistant (Postdoctoral) Antiviral Development
2 July 2023 11.59 pm
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this job posting.