15 Jun 2023
- Hypervision Surgical
- Research and Development
- Research Field
- Physics » Optics
Engineering » Biomedical engineering
- Researcher Profile
- First Stage Researcher (R1)
- United Kingdom
- Application Deadline
- 15 Jul 2023 – 20:00 (Europe/London)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
- Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
We are seeking a curious, creative and motivated individual who rises to the challenges of building an innovation-driven, early-stage MedTech spin-out to change the future of surgery and play a significant role in developing next-generation core algorithms of the company.
As our Research Scientist, you will help design, implement, and validate new computational and machine learning frameworks. You will work alongside our talented team of scientists and engineers to develop prototype and clinical software. In particular, you will
- shape our real-time surgical guidance technology by developing state-of-the-art computational and machine learning methods for hyperspectral imaging data
- design and implement algorithms for hyperspectral image data processing, from low-level image reconstruction to deep learning-based tissue property estimation and semantic segmentation tasks to stereo vision reconstruction for multi-view surgical guidance
- contribute to the dissemination through patenting and publications
- closely work with our software development and regulatory team for efficient integration from R&D to deployment
At Hypervision Surgical, we welcome candidates who have the core skills for the post and are keen to learn and grow with us. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment where a diverse mix of talented people come and enjoy working with each other. By working together, we will change the way surgery is performed and improve patient care.
Hypervision Surgical Ltd is a spin-out company formed from King’s College London and was founded by a team of clinicians, medical imaging and artificial intelligence (AI) experts. Based on safe light alone, our goal is to equip clinicians with advanced computer-assisted tissue analysis for improved surgical precision and patient safety.
We have developed a computational Hyperspectral Imaging (HSI) system for improved intraoperative surgical guidance. HSI is a safe optical imaging modality perfectly suited for the clinic. By splitting light into multiple wavelengths far beyond what the naked eye can see, HSI carries diagnostic information about tissue properties ideal for objective tissue characterisation. This will objectively enhance the surgeon’s ability to visualise and characterise tissue intraoperatively without injecting any toxic contrast agents. In addition, our system can monitor vital physiological tissue properties, thereby increasing surgical precision and patient safety while optimising resection.
Following successful in-patient clinical studies, we are now working on converting our patent-pending technology into a commercial medical device for surgery.
We are building our company at the intersection of surgery, machine learning and interventional image computing for optical systems to increase surgical precision and patient safety. We are backed by a highly experienced syndicate of European and American HealthTech investors, including the corporate venture arm of ZEISS, a multinational technology leader. In addition, we are supported by the British Royal Academy of Engineering, Innovate UK, NIHR (National Institute for Health Research), the Creative Destruction Lab, and King’s Health Partners MedTech Innovations to improve surgical care.
Come make an impact with us and help shape our story.
A bit about you
- MSc or PhD in Machine Learning, Medical Image Computing, Computer Vision, or related technical discipline
- Good knowledge of machine learning and computer vision algorithms
- Experience with scientific software packages such as PyTorch, OpenCV, Pandas, SciPy, NumPy, SciKit’s, etc.
- Experience in standard software engineering practices including version control systems and software testing methodologies
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Analytical thinker, attentive to details, creative and team player
- Show a strong sense of creating an inclusive environment (Bonus points if you bring a special talent, interest, new language, or unique life experience to the team)
What we offer
- We offer an opportunity to work at and shape a MedTech start-up uniquely positioned to develop next-generation technology for surgical guidance.
- Our board includes serial entrepreneurs for MedTech companies in surgery and surgical robotics, including Martin Frost CBE, Founder and former CEO of CMR Surgical – a globally recognised unicorn in the field of surgical robotics, and we are supported by highly experienced European and American HealthTech VC investors. You will work closely with thought leaders in healthcare engineering to develop and scale an early-stage MedTech start-up.
- As a King’s College London spin-out and member of the King’s MedTech ecosystem, we have key access to crucial resources for R&D and product development for surgery, including access to hospitals, a mock operating room, lab spaces, and computational facilities.
- A 2-year clinical observational neurosurgery study involving 81 patients commenced in April 2022 and an investigational clinical study involving 40 patients at 3 UK centres for laparoscopic abdominal surgery is scheduled to commence in Q3 2023: Your work will directly impact the studies we run and the product we build.
- Building on a highly multidisciplinary background (surgeons, computer scientists, mathematicians, biomedical engineers, regulatory affairs specialists, and KOLs for surgical healthcare technology) our team consists of world-leading experts in machine learning / AI for medical imaging, interventional imaging and medical devices for surgical guidance.
- We pride ourselves on an environment at the intersection between industry, academia and hospitals that cultivates curiosity, creativity and autonomy to develop innovative technologies for the patient and public benefit.
- We offer flexible working arrangements, including flexible hours and remote working.
- We are committed to growing our employees and offering equal opportunities for advancement.
To apply, send your CV and Cover Letter to [email protected] . Detail how your knowledge, skills, and abilities meet the job requirements.
- Research Field
- Education Level
- PhD or equivalent
- Number of offers available
- Hypervision Surgical Limited
- United Kingdom
Where to apply
- [email protected]
- 85 Great Portland Street, First Floor
- [email protected]
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this job posting.