Working at Oxfam
Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty.
In March 2022, Oxfam launched its response to the influx of refugees and other people forced to flee from Ukraine in Romania, Moldova and Poland. A Programme Management Unit (PMU) was established to provide leadership, oversee, support and provide technical assistance to the response in the affected countries. The PMU is led by the Organizational Lead and includes dedicated advocacy and influencing capacity; business support functions, and a programme quality team with technical support on gender in emergencies, protection, cash and voucher programming, monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning (MEAL), and safeguarding. Oxfam is supporting a partner-led humanitarian response for the assistance and protection of refugees and other vulnerable people from Ukraine and the communities, organisations and authorities that are hosting and supporting them in neighbouring countries.
To help define, develop and deliver a strategic and high-quality programme management support to the Ukraine Country Programme on Safeguarding and influencing policies and practices including our own, based on learning from the programme.
The Safeguarding Coordinator will lead the safeguarding planning and implementation in Ukraine, supporting significant capacity building and awareness raising internally and with partners. The immediate focus will be on safeguarding planning and implementation with partners. This will primarily involve supporting partners and training Safeguarding Focal Points within partner organizations to adapt and meet Oxfam’s 10 Safeguarding Core Standards. The role will monitor the overall safeguarding work with partners as well as support on Oxfam’s accountability to its partners. Capturing key lessons and best practices from their monitoring responsibilities, this role will consist of some knowledge management activities for internal and external learning purposes. Additionally, this work will include delivering safeguarding trainings, promoting safe programming, advocating and providing technical input for safeguarding within budgets and MEAL plans, building capacity on safeguarding as needed, and support on safeguarding investigations and case management.
Please see the attached job description for the full responsibilities that the Safeguarding Coordinator will undertake and the required skills and competencies.
Job Type: Fixed Term, 12 Months
What we are looking for:
We’re looking for a candidate who cares about Oxfam’s mission to end poverty and is personally aligned to our feminist principles and values of empowerment, accountability and inclusion in all you do.
An ideal candidate for the role will also be / have:
- Strategic Thinking and Judgment
- Deep understanding of safeguarding and safe programming, as well as related fields such as protection, gender, culture, and feminist principles
- Clear understanding of best practice in ethics management and accountability
- At least four years of professional experience in capacity building and supporting (coaching, mentoring, oversight) partners on safeguarding
- Demonstrated experience adapting organization-specific safeguarding content including training, policy, awareness raising and communications tools for use by organization partners
- Experience or strong understanding of survivor-centered case management and investigations of safeguarding incidents
- Experience in knowledge management and learning to ensure findings in safeguarding influence practice in real-time
Partnership and People Support
- Demonstrated experience building strong and equitable relationships with partner organizations
- Experience in a training, facilitation or support role delivering content to diverse audiences on safeguarding or related subjects
- Management or coordination experience with communities of practice, ideally experience supporting a COP or network of Safeguarding Focal Points
- Ability to provide technical solutions to implementing partners, remotely and on-site, for how to best apply safeguarding standards, best practices, and tools in the current emergency context
- Strong experience developing accountability mechanisms, including community-based complaint mechanisms
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, effective organizational and interpersonal skills
- Experience working in humanitarian aid or development
We believe flexible working is key to building the Oxfam of the future, so we’re open to talking through the type of flexible arrangements which might work for you.
How to apply:
As part of your online application, please upload your up to date CV and Cover Letter explaining your suitability against the essential criteria in the job profile.
Apply For This Role
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this job posting.