University of Antwerp
16 Jun 2023
- University of Antwerp
- Research Field
- Sociology » Other
- Researcher Profile
- Recognised Researcher (R2)
- Application Deadline
- 21 Aug 2023 – 21:59 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Hours Per Week
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
- Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
Let’s shape the future – University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20 000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow’s world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Faculty of Social Sciences has the following part-time (10%) vacancy:
Senior academic staff in the field of Sociology
As a member of the Senior Academic Staff (Dutch: Zelfstandig Academisch Personeel, ZAP), you will contribute to the University of Antwerp’s three core tasks: education, research and services. Your role may also include organisational and managerial aspects.
- You will provide high-quality education in the Bachelor Social-Economic Sciences, a new bachelor jointly organized by the Faculty of Business and Economics (FBE) and Faculty of Social Sciences (FSS). The English-taught Bachelor in Social-Economic Sciences has been organised for the first time in the academic year 2021-2022.
- The course that you will teach is Sociology (6 credits) (This course is comparable in terms of objectives to the course Sociologie in the bachelors FSS.)
- You will play a role in developing activating, student-centred and competence-driven programme components and study
- You will supervise students and their Master dissertations.
- You will expand high-quality scientific research in the domain of Sociology.
- You will acquire and manage national and international research funding.
- You will publish in international journals in the field of Sociology.
- You will develop an international scientific network.
- You will supervise PhD students.
- You will play a role in the provision of both academic services and service to society, within the institution and externally.
- You will participate in student recruitment, boards and committees, popular science communication, and so on.
- You hold a PhD in Social Sciences.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies . You have established an excellent research portfolio.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision . You are motivated to develop your teaching skills further through the professionalisation opportunities
- If you do not speak Dutch, the administrative language of the university, you should be willing to obtain a CEFR B2 level of proficiency in Dutch. As soon as you take on teaching duties as a programme component coordinator, you should be able to demonstrate a CEFR C1 level of proficiency in the language of instruction. The University of Antwerp supports international staff members through an integration trajectory and offers tailor-made language coaching in compliance with Flanders’ statutory language regulations .
- You demonstrate leadership potential and organisational skills.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
What we offer
- We offer a part-time appointment as a member of the Senior Academic Staff for a period of 3 years. Following a positive evaluation, the appointment can be renewed. The level of your appointment (assistant professor, associate professor, professor or full professor) is determined on the basis of your professional experience and academic qualifications.
- Your gross monthly salary is calculated according to the pay scales for Senior Academic Staff (ZAP) and calculated proportionally on the basis of your employment percentage.
- You will receive ecocheques, and a bicycle allowance or a full reimbursement of public transport costs for commuting.
- The planned start date is 1 October 2023 or as soon as possible after that date.
- You will do most of your work at the City Campus in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here and discover all the other benefits .
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 21 August 2023 Click on the ‘Apply’ button and complete the online application form. Be sure to include the following attachments:
- your motivation letter
- the completed job application appendix for ZAP
- your academic CV
- a proposal for the structure of the course.
- The selection committee reviews all applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision is made, we will notify you. If you are still eligible after the pre-selection, you will be informed about the possible next step(s) in the selection procedure.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to [email protected] . If you h ave any questions about the job itself, please contact prof. dr. Koen Decancq, [email protected] .
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.
- Research Field
- Years of Research Experience
- 4 – 10
- Website for additional job details
- Number of offers available
- University of Antwerp
- Postal Code
- Prinsstraat 13
Where to apply
- Postal Code
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this job posting.