University Hospital Southampton
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
WHAT YOU’LL DO
These posts are designed to mirror the existing ST training programme, and opportunities for education and supervision will be identical, including allocation of an educational supervisor for the duration of the post.
The principal duties of the posts will be:
2. Depending on experience, interest and service need there may also be opportunity to rotate through other subspecialty areas including:
3. To undertake procedures relevant to haematology, including bone marrow biopsy, intrathecal chemotherapy and tunnelled central catheter removal. Where necessary, appropriate training and supervision will be provided.
4. To refer to other specialists as required in order to provide optimal patient care
5. To provide specialist haematology advice to other medical and surgical teams, as well as general practitioners. Senior supervision is provided where necessary, depending on the experience of the post-holder.
6. To participate in the haematology Specialist Registrar on-call rota, where experience allows.
7. To undertake care of patients undergoing clinical trials, showing evidence of training and understanding of Good Clinical Practice. Where required, appropriate training in clinical trial protocols will be provided
8. To engage with the specialty trainee education programme, including attendance at regular educational meetings. The post-holders will be expected to maintain an educational portfolio mirroring their equivalent stage of training.
9. To engage in the department’s clinical governance programme, including, for example, audit, clinic incident reporting and quality meetings.
10. To participate in laboratory activities, including reporting of blood and bone marrow specimens and attendance at diagnostic MDTs. Where necessary, appropriate training and supervision will be provided. The extent of participation will depend on the post-holder’s experience.
11. Where possible, to participate in the collection and analysis of local data with a view to preparing and submitting papers for publication.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
The posts are open to individuals with:
Internal Medicine experience for at least 12 months
OR Internal Medicine experience for less than 12 months but holding MRCP Part 2 or equivalent
OR Clinical Haematology experience for at least 6 months
Appointment will be made under local contractual terms and conditions of service for Trust appointed (non-training fellow doctors and dentists).
Successful candidates will have an educational framework equivalent to training grade doctors, and there will be a named educational supervisor assigned at the start of the post. The opportunity for Continued Professional Development (CPD) is highly supported and encouraged by the Trust, with options available to take study leave. All licensed doctors must meet the GMC requirements for revalidation and there will be an annual appraisal to support this process.
Grades for Trust appointed (non-training) fellows will be paid a basic salary at a nodal pay point linked to the grade, at the rate set out in the National Medical and Dental pay circular. Basic salary detailed below plus any additional remuneration (as applicable) for hours set out in the doctors work schedule (e.g. additional hours, weekend allowance, and any hours which attract enhanced pay)
Basic Salary – MT04 £51,017 Basic Salary – MT05 £58,398
Salary will be assessed based on experience and skills. Eligibility criteria for appointment to a Nodal Point 5;
- Have a minimum of 6 years of Specialty training
- Hold relevant higher specialty exam (e.g FRCP, FRCA, FRCS)
- A portfolio of evidence that demonstrates they meet the criteria for progression (in line with the Curriculum for the speciality similar to deanery trainee)
Travelling expenses will not be paid for attending interview
Please note that GMC registration (with a licence to practice) and right to work in the UK are essential for this role. Successful applicants will already have GMC registration or will be able to demonstrate they are eligible. Applicants requiring Tier 2 sponsorship should ensure they meet the Home Office application criteria prior to submitting an application.
Interviews will be held on TBC
Job Reference: MT0981 – This vacancy closes on or before: Tuesday, 27th June 2023
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this job posting.