About the Role:
We are seeking an experienced landscape professional to join our friendly, established
Landscape Planning and Management team within LUC. This role will be linked to our London
office, with the ability for hybrid working as part of the working week.
LUC’s award-winning landscape team is passionate about the environment and are proud of the
positive impact we make. We have an expanding portfolio of challenging and high-profile
projects including exploring new approaches to landscape management, character and sensitivity
assessments, green infrastructure strategies, along with the design and assessment of landscape
conservation and enhancement schemes.
With established teams in London, Bristol, Manchester, Edinburgh and Glasgow, we support a
broad range of projects and an established client base with projects at local, regional and
national levels. We are enthusiastic about influencing the wider conversation and policy
agenda, and promoting positive outcomes for nature, people and place, responding to emerging
guidance and land-based schemes. We draw on the skills and experiences with colleagues in other
disciplines including ecology, heritage, transport, and environmental planning to fulfil these
We are looking for a talented individual to support with the delivery of aspects of a broad
portfolio of projects, including the development of strategies for the conservation and
enhancement of landscapes of national and international importance. The current portfolio
includes assessment and strategies for:
- Green and blue infrastructure
- Climate adaption
- Woodland and trees
- Parks, open space and play
It also includes:
- Strategic landscape assessment and design
- Concept master plans
- Landscape management plans and costings
- Conservation and parkland management plans
- Landscape maintenance specifications
- Landscape monitoring and evaluation
- Governance and delivery mechanisms
LUC encourages professional development, supporting team members from graduate / qualifying
membership status to chartered / fellow member of their chosen professional body. This includes
working on an exciting range of dynamic projects, as well as training and development.
The role includes the opportunity to share and participate actively in the management and
ownership of the business through the Employee Ownership Trust, which places full ownership of
the company with the employees.
Through LUC’s Corporate Social Environmental Responsibility activities programme we also have
opportunity to volunteer some of our time to exciting environmental/ nature led projects and
community engagement across the country.
We work in a hybrid model, with people being in an office a minimum of two days per week.
A full-time role is based on 37.5 hours per week (Monday to Friday). However, LUC has a strong
track record in flexible working. We have been recognised for our working culture, so we are
happy to discuss a range of flexible working options for this role, including part time hours
(minimum 30 hours per week) if desired.
Salary range: £36,000-49,000 FTE, depending on experience (including London allowance of £4,000
This is a great time to be joining LUC. Since its creation nearly 60 years ago, LUC has been
driven by the belief that landscape has a critical role to play in shaping the world around us
for the better. This work has never been more important.
We are looking for an individual with either good all-round landscape design, management and
planning experience or a particular focus and specialism in a specific area. Whatever your
field of expertise, you will need to demonstrate technical competence and project delivery to a
Your general skills will need to include high quality writing and reporting, graphics
production, as well as verbal communication.
LUC is a people-centred organisation. We seek candidates who will work collaboratively and
positively, to maintain our professional, yet friendly, reputation.
Experience and qualifications
- Experience of landscape management, strategic assessment and design, including an
understanding of some/all of:
- Placemaking, landscape design and concept masterplan principles
- Green infrastructure, open space and play assessment/strategies
- Landscape character assessment
- Woodland and tree strategies
- Nature-based solutions, ecosystem services and natural capital
- Conservation and landscape management plans
- Landscape and horticultural maintenance specifications
- Experience of being client facing and working with other external team members
- Proficiency in the use of computer software to prepare high quality reports and tenders,
including Adobe Creative Suite, Word and Excel
- Have a driving licence and experience of undertaking field work (with competent photography
- Educated with a relevant landscape or related qualification at degree or post graduate level
- Excellent graphics and writing skills
- Understanding of governance and funding models for open spaces
- Experience of supporting with winning of work
- Strong organisational and people skills
- Excellent communication skills and a proactive approach to building relationships with
colleagues and project partners
- Appetite for continuous learning and professional development
- Experience with consultation and engagement
- Chartered member of the Landscape Institute or similar professional body.
Candidates must be eligible to live and work in the UK.
Please apply by uploading your CV and covering letter via the link on our website.
LUC is committed to equality, diversity and inclusion and we actively encourage applications
from under-represented groups. We value the differences, needs and contributions a diverse
workforce represents, and we strive to embed equality, diversity and inclusion in all our people
LUC is an independent planning, impact assessment, landscape design and ecology consultancy,
working across the UK and internationally.
With a track record spanning 50 years and a team of over 200 skilled professionals, we bring
great depth of knowledge and experience to our work across the private and public sectors.
In order to help secure our continued independence, we have recently become a fully employee
owed business after establishing an employee ownership trust (EOT). This aligns with our strong
focus on people; everyone at LUC is involved in key company decisions and has a say in how we
Whether we are advising a commercial developer, utility company, Government agency or local
authority, ours is a collaborative approach, which puts the client at the heart of the process.
We listen. We take the time to understand what drives our clients. Then we create bespoke and
appropriate solutions that meet their needs and deliver the greatest value for their projects.
We pride ourselves on being at the forefront of innovative thinking, which has led to a strong
reputation for successfully resolving even the most complex of issues. No matter what the
project, we aim to find the most sustainable solution.
We are also passionate about the legacy we leave and hope to make a real difference through the
work we do.
Find out more & apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this job posting.