Location: Edinburgh, London or UK remote (flexible working options)
Position Status: Full-time
Salary: Starting salary range for this role will be £32,000 for UK and £37,000 for London – flexible commensurate on experience.
Closing date: Candidates must submit applications before June 5th
Candidates must have the independent right to work in UK at the time of appointment
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is powered by the belief that a better world is possible. The breadth and impact of our programmes makes Mercy Corps a unique and truly rewarding place to work. Our teams are proud of what we achieve in the countries we work and we are always looking for talented individuals who share our passion and commitment. We know our teams do their best work when they are diverse and every team member feels that they belong. We welcome diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be stronger and have long term impact.
The Development Team in Europe drives and supports Mercy Corps’ strategies for restricted, flexible and unrestricted funds, raising profile and influence. Within this department, the Direct Marketing team focuses on strategically growing our supporter base and generating unrestricted and flexible income to further our global work.
Reporting to the Senior Manager of Direct Marketing, the Senior Officer, Digital Communications will play a critical role within the Development Team to drive supporter growth and engagement by building our online presence and digital reach. They will manage all social media platforms in Europe, key European pages on the website and develop content tailored for our audiences to recruit new and retain existing supporters – with the ultimate goal of increasing engagement and income for our organisation.
They will work closely with members of the Development Team in Europe and global MarComms Team to support all fundraising initiatives through mass market, regular giving, legacy fundraising, corporate and foundation partnerships. They will identify storytelling and multichannel campaign opportunities that strengthen our relationships with current and future European supporters and partners, ensuring all content and messaging appropriately represents Mercy Corps’ brand and messaging; and provide analysis reports on key metrics and trends to inform decision making.
When a humanitarian crisis strikes, they will work to rapidly develop appropriate reactive content and messaging for social media and website to inform and engage our audiences, coordinating with the wider MarComms and Development Teams as we develop a programmatic response.
We are looking for a natural communicator with attention to detail and passion for creativity. You will be stepping into a fast-paced, ever-evolving environment. We need someone who is excited by change and new challenges, has deep experience in digital marketing and is highly effective at working across teams to make an impact.
- Work with the Senior Manager, Direct Marketing in Europe and global MarComms colleagues to develop a digital communications strategy for Europe focused on increased growth and engagement
- Work with the Senior Manager, Direct Marketing in Europe to plan and implement a calendar of relevant, engaging content for social media through paid and organic ads for Europe.
- Management of SEO, PPC and Google ads – reporting on metrics and providing analysis on a regular basis
- Produce or edit social media content, including writing, copy editing, and designing graphics/videos using Canva, Adobe Illustrator, or Premier pro
- Support the development of content for email marketing and appeals and support other team members with relevant timely digital communications to assist with engagement and cultivation of new and existing supporters/partners
- Play a key role in delivering digital engagement across the agency, ensuring effective strategy, delivery and evaluation of all digital activities – this includes websites, online marketing, online engagement, social networks, support with online fundraising, video and new digital platforms
- Regular monitoring of competitors and keeping up to date with key industry trends
- Assist with creating and maintaining landing pages, evergreen pages, blog articles on our website and, as needed, collaborate with and lead creative teams in developing additional social content including evergreen concepts, templates, etc
- Share digital content ideas through participation in global editorial processes supporting our digital channels
- Translate digital content, as needed, from American English to British English, to support European audiences
- Analyse social and digital channels using insight tools to refine plans in real time, set KPIs and make recommendations for the adaptation of plans or future strategies
- Ensure UX consistency and brand guidelines are followed across all digital channels
Accountability to Participants and Stakeholders
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our program participants, community partners, other stakeholders and to international standards guiding international relief and development work. We are committed to actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Reports Directly To: Senior Manager, Direct Marketing
Works Closely With: Direct Marketing Team & Media and Communications Team in Europe, global MarComms, Development Team in Europe
Knowledge and Experience
The ideal candidate for this role is someone who:
- Six plus years social media and digital marketing experience, including integrated campaign development and execution, content strategy, website content management and email marketing
- Has a deep understanding of the social media universe including Facebook, Twitter, , Instagram, YouTube, TikTok and LinkedIn and demonstrated knowledge of emerging platforms
- Is an excellent communicator and writer
- Has experience making improvements to processes
- Has ability to own the planning, development and implementation of projects
- Has computer skills including Adobe Illustrator, Canva, Microsoft Office Suite, social listening platforms and Google Analytics.
- Has the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment while maintaining the respect of team members
- Is adept at working across teams and geographies
- Has a strong understanding for cultural, political and religious environments among staff and in the countries we work with
- Be driven by a passion for international development, social justice and ending global poverty
- Work well under deadline pressure
- Be willing to work flexibly to accommodate global calls across time zones and respond during emergencies (some evening and weekends as required)
- Excellent organisational and time management skills
- Systematic, with a strong eye for detail
- Advocates for the needs of our digital audiences and user-first UX
- Can work quickly, accurately and to deadlines
- Able to build and maintain effective internal and external relationships
- Strong team worker and communicator
- Able to cope with changing priorities, often at short notice and work well under pressure
- Proactive and solutions-based attitude
- High levels of motivation, professionalism and resilience
- An exposure to and interest in international development issues is important, along with an empathy for MC’s mission
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
The position is based in the UK. Travel will be minimal. Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in an international posting or on a visit/TDY to an international posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
In support of our belief that learning organisations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities we serve, we empower all team members to dedicate 5% of their time to learning activities that further their personal and/or professional growth and development.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organisation with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained global impact.
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, colour, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics
Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary General and IASC. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and to adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct elearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
How to apply
Learn more and apply here: https://jobs.jobvite.com/mercycorps/job/o09fnfwv