International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics
ICRISAT and its partners help empower these poor people to overcome poverty, hunger and a degraded environment through better agriculture. ICRISAT is headquartered in Hyderabad, Telangana State, in India, with two regional hubs (Nairobi, Kenya and Bamako, Mali) and country offices in Niger, Nigeria, Zimbabwe, Malawi, Ethiopia and Mozambique.
ICRISAT seeks applications from dynamic and highly innovative candidates to lead ICRISAT Country Program in Mali. The ICRISAT Country Representative is responsible for leading and managing the Country Program and for translating ICRISAT’s strategic priority in line with regional and national priorities, into development initiatives and results by developing, implementing and managing programs and projects for the country; and developing effective partnerships with Government counterparts, national agencies and organizations and with bilateral and non-traditional donors in order to promote inter-agency partnerships and mobilization of visibility and resources to advance ICRISAT Mandate. The selected candidate shall be based at ICRISAT- Bamako in Mali The position will report directly to the Africa Regional Director.
- Represent ICRISAT in Mali through liaison with governments, national networks and authorities, organizations and initiatives;
- Assess national developmental trends and identify emerging issues of relevance to the mandate of ICRISAT, identify strategic program opportunities for development planning to advance ICRISAT goals and objectives in the country;
- Lead the formulation, planning and preparation of the Country strategic priority, based on ICRISAT’s strategic priority and regional and national priorities, in collaboration/consultation with government and other stakeholders;
- Enhance partnerships in Mali, especially with regional/sub-regional organizations, national agricultural research and extension systems (NARES), non-governmental organizations and the private sector;
- Implement the Institutional Resource Mobilization Strategy in Mali and ensure its success.
- Contribute to develop innovative funding strategies for ICRISAT in Mali.
- Collaborate with Research Program Directors and the Business Development to convert opportunities into Programs or Projects for the country.
- Contribute to the strategic management and leadership of the Institute;
- Provide staff oversight and research support for project implementation
- Monitor project implementation and staff performance; and share feedback with the Research Program Directors for performance management.
- Lead, coordinate, review and monitor research activities for the country, including resource mobilization, annual budgeting, research planning, priority assessment, proposal development, partnership relations, staff evaluation and research reporting;
- Nurture and sustain internal cross-program interactions and teamwork, working closely with other Directors and leaders in ICRISAT to ensure strong support for and engagement with the implementation of research activities globally;
- Assist in public awareness activities and greater visibility of ICRISAT in the region;
- Perform other responsibilities assigned by Regional Director.
- The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of the following skills, knowledge, experience, and personal characteristics:
- PhD in Agricultural or Plant Sciences, Development Studies or related fields.
- Work experience of at least 15 years in international agricultural research for development with high levels of quality research outputs.
- Proven capability to manage a large research program, including all aspects of project management: managing budgets and staff, building and managing partnerships, monitoring and evaluating impacts and leading a diverse team.
- Experience in systems research where multiple stakeholders, including public policymakers, the private sector and agribusiness are involved in achieving research outcomes.
- Experience in addressing governance, institutional and market aspects of agriculture with examples of successful research and development interventions.
- Demonstrated commitment to mentoring of staff, a safe workplace and protection of the environment.
- Strong motivation and leadership skills to bring out the best from both individuals and teams.
- Ability to establish, nurture and oversee multi-cultural, gender-sensitive multidisciplinary research teams.
- Demonstrated expertise in written and oral communications and public awareness activities.
- Demonstrated championing the critical areas of gender, youth, nutrition, knowledge sharing and innovation.
- Demonstration of an entrepreneurial spirit with aptitude for innovation.
- Lead or co-contribute evidenced impacts, globally
- Demonstrated experience in resource mobilization and knowledge sharing
- Strong project management ability and interpersonal skills
- Fluency in spoken and written English and French
Recommend your friend
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this job posting.
Postdoctoral Scholar, Medical Genomics/BioinformaticsUniversity of CalgaryCanadaCanada
ProfessorSeneca CollegeToronto, ONToronto, ON
Alarm Dispatcher Full Time 2000SecuritasToronto, ONToronto, ON
- Full Time
Digital Banking Application Analyst (contract)Insight EnterprisesCanadaCanada