Rochester Institute of Technology
National Technical Institute for the Deaf
NTID Master Science & Secondary Ed
The Senior Staff Assistant will report directly to the Department Chair of the MSSE Program and work collaboratively with other faculty and staff in the MSSE program to provide direct support for the graduate students in the program. This position will balance responsibilities related to department operations, academic recordkeeping and reporting, programming, and special event coordination, financial and budgetary processes, human resources processes, and facilitate communication between other departments.
Administrative Support to the Department
- Provides direct administrative support to the Department Chair of MSSE. This includes but is not limited to: manage calendar and meeting requests, purchase instructional materials and supplies, arrange approved domestic and international travel, reconcile travel expense reports, and other duties as assigned
- Manages administrative office support for the MSSE Program and the future programs in the MSSE department:
- Schedule departmental meetings, meetings with students, taking and disseminating meeting minutes, and reserving meeting rooms
- Create and manage electronic databases for programs and e-mail distribution lists. Update, maintain and monitor files on MSSE shared drive
- Order instructional software and supplies for faculty
- Maintain files and records to document department information, budgeting, grant proposals and reports, program evaluations, and other departmental records
- Provide clerical support to department including telephone support, general word processing, photocopying, filing, distributing mail, and support for special internal and externally funded projects
- Collaborate with faculty, Dean’s office, Human Resources, Accounting/Payroll, shipping/receiving, NTID facilities services (Keys, office moves, etc.)
- Maintain front desk operations and coverage, arranging for maintenance and servicing of equipment, accepting deliveries and packages, greeting center visitors
- Coordinate logistics for international delegation visits
- Support MSSE faculty-led study abroad programs including but not limited to:
- Coordinate with NTID International Educational Outreach and RIT Global on planning meetings between faculty, study abroad offices and external vendors
- Assist with visa applications and processing as needed
- Communicate with external vendors (Travel Document Systems, Hands on Travel, etc.)
Provide Support to Students
- Provide admissions support for all students applying to MSSE.
- Process hiring paperwork for graduate assistants and student workers (two to three per quarter). Add/delete student workers’ names to the NTID Pharos copy system.
- Supervise MSSE graduate office assistants. Answer questions for mentor’s responsibilities for graduate assistantships
- Request from the NTID Help Desk swipe access for all students to the MSSE resource rooms
- Organize and facilitate all special events within the MSSE department, including fall orientation for new and returning students, graduation breakfast and capstone events, certification workshops, plus other workshops as needed for class requirements
Budget and Financial Operations and Reconciliation Procedures
- Meet monthly with Department Chair to review and approve departmental and special project budgets
- Management of assigned department procurement cards, including coordination with other department staff; monitoring monthly approvals and cards’ limits
- Reconciliation of monthly expenses, procurement card statements including all receipts and supplemental documentation
- Maintain all documentation for departments’ monthly budget statements as part of monthly reconciliation
- Complete PCMs and Journal Entries for assigned departmental and special project accounts. Collaborate with other NTID departments on completing journal entries as needed.
- Track monthly phone bills for all department areas.
- Manage departments’ purchase orders and vendor setups including confirmation of delivery and submission to A/P for payment
- Maintain all documentation for special project statements as part of monthly reconciliation
- Timesheet and payroll signoffs of student employees, graduate assistants, and temporary contracted personnel
- Process honoraria to MSSE cooperating teachers and guest presenters, including producing thank you letters and Invoice payment forms, and required tax forms.
- Create and maintain a database each quarter for these groups for generating lists as needed by the MSSE staff and faculty
Human Resources paperwork processing and student employee supervision
- Process Adjunct, Overload, and Summer faculty contracts
- Process temporary staff contracts as assigned
- Process required paperwork and payments for external consultant and honoraria
- Student employment hiring (create job descriptions, postings, hiring, and onboarding)
- Maintain an electronic file of faculty vitas
OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED
Live our values, embrace diverse perspectives, and nurture the RIT community to remain a great place to work for all.
- Associate’s degree or equivalent experience
- 2+ years’ experience administrative support or related experience
- American Sign Language proficiency of intermediate or above, or willingness to learn
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite, and Zoom
- Experience working abroad or in a multicultural environment with diverse language needs
- Excellent interpersonal skills, customer service and sensitivity to cultural differences
- Ability to prioritize and multitask various projects and deadlines
- Ability to handle highly confidential information in professional manner and according to FERPA
- High degree of organization skills and detail oriented
- Maintain productivity with frequent interruptions
- Ability to work collaboratively with other staff assistants within NTID and campus partners
- Ability to adapt to using new technology and systems for business operations
- 2+ years’ experience with Oracle or similar business operations software
- 5+ years’ experience in a professional or academic setting
Required Minimum Education Level
Associates or Equivalent Experience
Henrietta Campus — 100%
Required Application Documents
Cover Letter, Curriculum Vitae or Resume, List of References
What do we believe at RIT?
Rochester Institute of Technology is a diverse and collaborative community of engaged, socially conscious, and intellectually curious minds. Through creativity and innovation, and an intentional blending of technology, the arts and design, we provide exceptional individuals with a wide range of academic opportunities, including a leading research program and an internationally recognized education for deaf and hard-of-hearing students. We are dedicated to building a diverse community, one where employees feel a sense of belonging, and are valued for their contributions and the perspectives they bring.
As a member of the RIT community, you’ll receive a comprehensive employee benefits package that offers multiple options and access to additional employment advantages. You can tailor your benefit elections to meet your needs (affordable medical/dental/vision benefits; paid vacation/sick time/retirement saving plan with exceptional employer match; and tuition assistance for you and your family, to name a few).
How To Apply
In order to be considered for this position, you must apply for it at: http://careers.rit.edu/staff . Click the link for search openings and in the keyword search field, enter the title of the position or the BR number.
The hiring process for this position may require a criminal background check and/or motor vehicle records check. Any verbal or written offer made is contingent on satisfactory results, as determined by Human Resources. RIT does not discriminate. RIT promotes and values diversity, pluralism and inclusion in the work place. RIT provides equal opportunity to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, age, marital status, sex, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, veteran status or disability in its hiring, admissions, educational programs and activities. RIT provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities under the Rehabilitation Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the New York Human Rights Law, or similar applicable law. If you need reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please contact the Human Resources office at 585-475-2424 or email your request to [email protected] . Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email – cover/motivation letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this job posting.