Imperial College London
Imperial College Union is a vibrant, member-led charity organisation comprising the 18,000+ students of Imperial College London – one of the world’s top universities. If you are excited by the opportunity to help us do things differently, empower others and build a students’ union that can better support our students, then we could have a role for you.
We are currently looking for an impassioned and hard-working individual to lead our CSP (Clubs, Societies and Projects) team to deliver exceptional service to our students, through engaging with the 370+ student groups, which deliver an incredible range of world-class opportunities to their members. You will develop strong communities and networks within the university and maintain key working relationships. You will be responsible for major projects such as Welcome, and drive improvements of all our events and activities through leading on Risk Management, Compliance, Health & Safety, Training, Finance and more.
The successful candidate will be committed to using their skills and knowledge to empower the CSP team and will have personal experience of higher education. The role will require excellent managerial and interpersonal skills. You will be able to operate with autonomy as well as be able to balance challenging priorities.
The role sits within the Directorate of Membership Services and the post will have a cross-departmental focus to ensure our training package, volunteer support and all processes are equitable and effective for all student groups.
Duties and responsibilities
The Student Activities Manager (Events & Activities) is a critical role in delivering the Students’ Union’s support, development and empowerment of student-led Clubs, Societies and Projects (CSPs).
The role is accountable for ensuring that student volunteers and members engaging with our Clubs, Societies and Student Led Projects have a high-quality service. They will ensure that Imperial College Union continually develops and maintains standard methodology in its systems and processes to support Clubs and Societies. The role is responsible for delivering the following services for the organisation:
- CSP support services and administration
- The planning and delivery of CSP Events, Trips, and Activities
- Operational improvement for CSP support processes related to Events and Activities
- Legal Compliance in relation to CSP Events, Trips and Activities
- The Union Welcome Fair
Alongside the Student Activities Manager (Operations), elected Officer Trustees and the wider Student Activities Team, the role will support the delivering of a high-quality support service for CSPs.
- Degree, some further or higher education or equivalent.
- Experience of administration, management, and delivery with a focus on improving service delivery.
- Experience in Event Management.
- Experience of building and maintaining relationships with a diverse set of people and stakeholders.
- Experience of supporting the administration of financial processes.
- Experience of designing, implementing, and improving policies, procedures, processes, and systems.
- Experience of supervising and managing volunteers or student staff.
- Experience of implementing health and safety processes.
- Knowledge of structures, issues, and trends affecting Student Activities in Higher Education.
- Knowledge of working within democratic and governance structures such as the charity sector or similar institutions.
- An understanding of equality, diversity, and inclusion issues in practice.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, with the ability to relate to people at all levels.
- Excellent administration, organisation, and time management skills.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service.
- Competent IT skills: Microsoft 365, social media platforms, and digital/online learning tools.
- Ability to formulate development plans for activities and services.
- Ability to work effectively on your own as well as in a team.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and changing environment, under pressure and to deadlines, with an eye to detail.
- Commitment to own personal and professional development.
- Ability to influence, including those outside of the team and those without direct responsibility to and for.
Please note this role is with the Students’ Union. We’re a registered charity in our right, with our own governance, systems, processes and objectives. However, we work extremely closely with Imperial College London, so you’ll also be joining a wider community of staff working within higher education. If you’ve never worked in a students’ union, or are unsure why it’s different, we urge you to get in contact. It’s a brilliant place to work.
To apply for the role please complete the online application form.
We are running a characteristic anonymised application process for this recruitment as part of the College’s commitment to equal opportunities and eliminating discrimination. Applicants will be assigned an application reference number and applicants’ names will not be visible to recruiting managers until the interview stage. You will not be required to attach a CV. Please also refrain from including your name in your supporting statement.
Should you require any further details on the role please contact Cat Turhan (Director of Membership Services) via [email protected].
Interviews will be expected to take place week commencing 10th July 2023.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this job posting.