International Labour Organization
The Social Protection Global Technical Team is responsible for promoting enhanced coverage and effectiveness of social protection for all through comprehensive, efficient and sustainable national social protection systems, including floors, in line with provisions of the Social Security (Minimum Standards) Convention, 1952 (No. 102), the Social Protection Floors Recommendation, 2012 (No. 202) and other ILO social security standards, and reflected in the SDGs. It provides, at the request of member States, technical advice for the formulation of national policies, the design of social protection systems, including floors, as well as for their implementation and monitoring. The Department covers the full range of social protection throughout the life course, including access to health care, various contributory and non-contributory benefits in case of sickness, maternity, unemployment, disability, old age, poverty and social exclusion, as well as child and family benefits.
The PROSPECTS partnership project focuses on areas of decent work, including social protection, that are critical for forcibly displaced persons to overcome their specific vulnerabilities and for host communities to pursue their own development agenda in a transformed environment. In the framework of this programme, the ILO and UNHCR wish to scale-up their existing partnership to seek opportunities and implement integration schemes for refugees into existing national social health protection systems, with the aim to allow refugees to access health services at the same level as nationals, through shared risk pooling mechanisms.
The position is located in Nairobi, Kenya and reports to the ILO Office in Dar-Es_Salam as well as the Chief Technical Adviser of the PROSPECTS project based in Headquarters. The position benefits from the technical support of the Social Protection Specialists based in Pretoria and Cairo as well as the Social Protection Department in Geneva, particularly the Health Protection Specialist. This is a replacement in the context of the parental leave of the current incumbent of this position, who will return to their position when the present assignment ends.
Description of Duties:
- The position will contribute to the development of the activities regarding social protection, and in particular social health protection within
- Contribute to programming and operational support for the activities planned in Egypt, Kenya and Sudan PROSPECTS, in close collaboration with the project staff, the designated technical backstopping specialists in the Social Protection Department in Geneva as well as the responsible officials and regional specialists based in the concerned Decent Work Teams. In particular:
- Support the provision of technical inputs on social health protection to the relevant projects and national counterparts with regards to scheme architecture, design, financing and management in line with ILO standards, policies and principles, in collaboration with the Health Protection Specialist.
- Assist the project activities on social health protection, in particular the formulation of terms of references, selection of consultants and experts, design of workshop and training agendas.
- Liaise and ensure efficient and effective communications between the different project partners and in particular with the Public Health Section of UNHCR.
- Support capacity building and social dialogue activities on social protection and in particular social health protection in PROSPECTS countries and through the global component of the project in collaboration with relevant specialists and the Social Policy Unit in SOCPRO
- Compile lessons learned and ensure the completion of assigned knowledge products under the global component of PROSPECTS in collaboration with the Social Policy Unit and the migration focal point in SOCPRO.
- Coordinate inputs to relevant monitoring and evaluation documents and final programme progress report for the first phase in close collaboration with the project staff, the designated technical backstopping specialists in the Social Protection Department in Geneva as well as the responsible officials and regional specialists based in the concerned Decent Work Teams.
- Perform other duties as may be required by the project.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in economics, social science, public health, health economics, health financing, or a related field. A first-level university degree (Bachelor’s or equivalent) in one of the above fields with an additional two years of relevant experience will be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
- At least five years’ relevant professional experience, preferably in the fields of social health protection, health financing, occupational health, social health insurance, health and migration.
- Previous experience implementing interventions on access to health or social protection would be a strong advantage.
- Previous experience in conducting analytical work with practical implications on the extension of social protection would be an advantage.
- Excellent command of English essential. Working knowledge in additional languages would be an advantage.
Recommend your friend
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this job posting.
Business System Analyst (.NET, SQL, Dynamics CRM)Teamrecruiter.comToronto, ONToronto, ON
Project Manager – Don Valley CrossingsBechtelToronto, ONToronto, ON
Secretary 1Winnipeg Regional Health AuthoritySelkirk, MBSelkirk, MB
Call Centre Representative (Permanent)McCarthy UniformsToronto, ON - Etobicoke, ONToronto, ON - Etobicoke, ON