Imperial College London
Applications are invited for a Technical Services Lead to join our skilled team supporting research and teaching within the Department of Chemistry.
The Department of Chemistry at Imperial College London is at an exciting time in its history. Already a world-leading Department, from mid-2018 we now occupy state-of-the art research facilities at Imperial’s new White City Campus following our move to the £170M Molecular Sciences Research Hub. This state-of-the-art facility allows for significant expansion of our research activities, bringing together work in Molecular Sciences across the College, and with external partners, to tackle global grand challenges.
The purpose of the post is to manage the technical day-to-day services provided by the technical team at MSRH to support an excellent research experience for researchers in the Department and the mission of 65 members of academic staff to deliver world-class outputs.
You will hold overall responsibility for the smooth running of the day-to-day technical services at MSRH, by managing floor technicians and supervising the technical team’s routine tasks.
Duties and responsibilities
- Prioritise tasks for the Technical Services team to ensure smooth and safe laboratory operations including overseeing completion of floor technician checklists.
- Oversight of waste disposal streams, Chemical/Biological and electrical/electronic safety.
- Manage all chemical waste from the Department of Chemistry, working closely with college waste managers and Hazardous Waste Technician(s) to ensure safety and legal guidelines are met.
- Work with the Hazardous Waste Technician(s) to develop online shared auditable trails for waste disposal and deliveries.
- Act as a point of contact between designated research groups and any liaisons regarding the running of their laboratories and allocate resources accordingly.
- Allocate workload to the team to ensure an efficient service for Researchers.
- Oversee the ordering, installation and testing of parts and consumables, ensuring compliance with Pressure Equipment Directive.
- Work closely with Estates and Facilities (EF) and Technical Operations Manager to manage minor works requests relating laboratories and offices and to coordinate the follow-up and completion of defects ensuring that information is appropriately distributed.
- Authorise lab access for researchers subject to fulfilling training requirements.
- Work collaboratively with the Technical Operations Manager to arrange for planned maintenance and service visits to be completed on departmentally managed equipment e.g., water systems and analytical instruments.
- Work closely with the Research Facilities Lead and Laboratory Managers to ensure internal charges for services are completed.
- Develop and review risk assessments and safety processes to ensure compliance with college guidelines for technical processes.
- Work with Faculty and Central Safety to maintain and develop the Departments Chemical Inventory System (LabCup). Provide extensive training to Superusers, staff and students.
- Improve the departmental Technical Services on-line resources, including ensuring the web pages, safety information and training material are up-to-date and compliant.
- Contribute to the development of a ticketing system for technical services to be allocated efficiently.
- Support technical staff by advising on training courses to allow efficient management of super-user and user training.
- A degree (MSc and/or BSc) in a Scientific Discipline (preferably Chemistry).
- Previous work experience in a relevant research instrumentation role in a HE or industrial environment.
- Significant experience of waste chemical disposal and associated hazards.
- Experience of supervising and managing a team.
- Working knowledge of the day-to-day running of Chemistry research laboratories.
- Knowledge and experience of health & safety regulations, emergency protocols, and procedures pertaining to the storage, segregation and disposal of chemicals.
Full details of the role can be found in the Job Description.
This is a full time and open ended role, and you will be based in the White City campus.
Interviews will be held shortly after the close date.
Please complete the online application form.
The Department of Chemistry proudly holds an Athena SWAN Gold Award and strives to provide a working environment where all our staff feel fully supported to flourish and excel.
For further information please contact: Dr. Lisa Haigh (Technical Operations Manager) [email protected]
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this job posting.