Forestry Commission – Forest Services – which the Technical Support Officer will be part of,
are the government’s forestry experts facilitating delivery of government policy to protect,
improve and expand England’s woods and forests
We advise nationally and locally on how to unlock the full potential of woodlands and the forestry
sector to protect, improve and expand England’s valuable woodland assets. We encourage good
practice through professional advice, partnerships, advocacy and grants while discouraging damaging
or inappropriate forestry practice through regulations and standards
Our work involves engagement with an enormous range of people and organisations, from small
landowners and wood business through to large corporations and other public bodies.
We are seeking a dynamic individual who learns quickly to provide technical support to our
Woodland Officers, Woodland Creation Officers and Field Managers.
The post holder will be required to:
- Casework Facilitation – provide technical support to East & East Midlands Field Team to
help optimise the deployment of their skills and knowledge:
- Prepare electronic Forestry Commission case files on local network, including SharePoint.
- Download applications for various schemes;
- Work with National Office on scheme changes and communicate to the field teams;
- Prepare template documentation for Field Team;
- Prepare supporting information to ensure Woodland Officer’s field inspection time is
- Support Woodland Officers in consultation with statutory consultees on schemes such as
Environmental Impact Assessments (EIA’s);
- Maintain a ‘rolling’ progress report including local Trackers on all casework for Field
Managers; and Support Field Managers in uploading approved case files;
- Creation of local reports to meet operational need;
- Maintain year to date report for Area director and Ops managers;
- Updating and keeping Forestry Commission National Office or Area Team local trackers up
to during the life of the grant, regular audits of trackers to make sure data is correct;
- Support field team with updates to Forester GIS (the Forestry Commission internal mapping
- Support field team with updates to National regulations and process changes; 4. Assisting
with Woodland Management Plan administration with the Woodland Officers.5. Felling License and
Restocking Notice compliance inspections: Preparing files for Woodland Officer’s to undertake
these inspections.Supporting area to meet National Office deadlines; 6. Support a review and
reorganisation of electronic filing of Grant and Regulations records and information for the
area team.7. Provide basic admin support including dealing with phone queries from the public
surrounding felling of trees and felling license’s.
While most of the work is administrative the post offers an opportunity to learn how trees,
woods and forestry deliver a range of environmental, social and economic benefits and how
Government supports this.
Find out more & apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this job posting.