United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
UNW : International Consultant, Women, Peace and Security Training Design and Delivery
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls, the empowerment of women, and the achievement of gender equality at global, regional, and local levels. UN Women leads and coordinates UN system efforts on gender equality and gender mainstreaming.
Women’s participation in UN Peace Operations is critical to the achievement of lasting peace and security, as recognised in UN Security Council resolution 1325 on Women, Peace and Security and successive resolutions. The Secretary-General attaches the greatest importance to increase the participation of military women in UN Peace Operations.
UN Women is seeking to engage an international consultant with expertise in training design and delivery to work on a training course supporting efforts to increase uniformed women’s meaningful participation in UN Peace Operations, in accordance with UN Security Council resolutions 2242 (2015), 2538 (2020), and the UN Uniformed Gender Parity Strategy 2018-2028.
This training course will provide training for military women to enhance their deployability and employability in UN Peace Operations, and to enable them to interact directly with UN subject matter experts, national and international peace operations training centre personnel, and other military officers with experience in UN Peace Operations. It will also provide military women with an environment conducive to sharing their lived experiences and good practices on ways to overcome barriers and/or highlight successful initiatives to improve military women’s meaningful participation in UN Peace Operations.
Duties and Responsibilities
The individual selected for this consultancy will work for the Peace, Security and Resilience Section of UN Women and will have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Design training modules for military women’s empowerment, networking, and leadership on UN Peace Operations.
- Collect and analyse relevant training documentation and consolidate knowledge, experience, good practices, and lessons learned.
- Lead consultations with the UN Department of Peace Operations, peacekeeping training centres and other relevant institutions on course development.
- Develop toolkits, guidelines, and publications for the course.
- Develop the course framework, processes, procedures, logistics, and administration.
- Lead and facilitate two pilots of the training and revise modules based on the lessons learned.
- Advise in the development of a communications strategy for the course.
- Extend support to UN system partners and Member States (as required).
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies:
- Strong training design and delivery skills
- Strong interpersonal, teamwork and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and proactively solve problem
- Capacity to plan, prioritise and deliver tasks on time
- Capacity to engage with national and international staff, provide clear feedback and maintain effective rapport with different kinds of people
- Actively work towards continuing learning and sharing with others to support training design and delivery
- Ability to research, analyse and present complex information
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in a related field.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum ten years’ progressively responsible experience at the national or international level in the field of women, peace and security, peace and security or peace operations.
- Extensive experience in training design and delivery, particularly with a focus on gender equality, women, peace and security and security sector.
Proven ability to collaborate with partners such as the UN Department of Peace Operations and national training institutions inter alia.
- Previous professional experience with the United Nations system is highly desirable.
- Experience working in Women, Peace and Security and gender equality is highly desirable.
- Proficiency in English is required.
- Knowledge of French is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of other UN working languages is an asset.
The above-mentioned documents should be merged into a standalone file. Incomplete submissions will be ground for disqualification.
Selected candidates will be asked to submit the following documents prior to commencement of work:
- Copy of the latest academic certificate
- Copy of a valid passport
- A statement from a medical doctor attesting ‘good health and fit for travel’
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this job posting.