Governance and Political
The British Embassy in Vienna is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is looking for a Cyber and Political Attaché.
As Cyber and Political Attaché you will lead on the UK cyber campaign and have oversight of UK negotiations at the UN in Vienna. This is a job share role. The role requires knowledge of UN systems and negotiations, which you will engage in order to achieve UK priorities on Cyber at UN Office in Drugs and Crime (UNODC). The position is a senior member of the team working with the International Organisations in Vienna, as part of the UK Mission, other UK Missions including New York and other Member State missions in Vienna.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Lead on engagement with UNODC on Cyber you will create, in consultation with London and other UK Missions to the UN, a campaign to enable the UK to achieve its priorities.
- You will communicate and lobby UNODC officials and officials from other Member State Missions based in Vienna.
- You will work with London Departments to ensure that UK priorities on Cyber are fully understood and to ensure London is informed of UN processes in Vienna.
- You will develop and build upon expert knowledge of Cyber issues, including UN specific issues.
- You will attend meetings of the UNODC and represent the UK, including engagement at the Head of Delegation level
- You will develop the relationship between the UK Mission in Vienna and the Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO), ensuring that the Mission is working in partnership with the FCDO across a range of dossiers beyond Cyber.
- You will have oversight of all negotiations taking place across the UN Team in Vienna.
- Experience In negotiation – (Previous Professional background in similar roles, ex: Tax/Legal)
- UN System Proficiency (Past Experience and/or knowledge)
- Education to graduate (university) level or relevant professional experience
- Excellent communication, interpersonal skills and negotiation dexterity
- Good research skills, plus the ability to write fluent and concise reports in English
- Ability to develop and maintain networks
- Initiative, can demonstrate flexibility and works well in a team
- Effective time management and ability to respond to changing priorities and tight deadlines
- Previous experience at international organisations or equivalent is desirable, but not a prerequisite for this position
Making Effective Decisions, Leadership, Communicating and Influencing, Working Together
21 June 2023
Senior Executive Officer (SEO)
3 days per week (21 hours)
Europe, Eastern Europe & Central Asia
UK Mission to the United Nations, Vienna
31 July 2023
31 March 2024
Working hours are flexible and staff are entitled to time-off-in-lieu for extra hours worked. The annual leave entitlement is 25 days per year pro rata based on start date and working days per week, and the Embassy also enjoys 14 Austrian / UK public holidays per year and we are committed to ensuring a work / life balance.
The successful candidate will be subject to confirmation of a background check and security clearance. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure they are legally able to work in Austria. The Embassy is not able to assist with any visa or sponsorship arrangements.
The monthly salary for 21 hours per week will be €4066.78 gross, payable 14 times a year (pro rated based on start/end date. Please note that UK nationals will receive their salary net, minus the deduction of an equivalent level of Austrian (UK) tax retained at source. Further information on this will be given to candidates during the recruitment process. All other nationals will receive paid their salary minus social insurance deductions and are expected to comply with Austrian tax obligations through completion of a tax return to the Austrian authorities.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to terms and conditions service according to Austrian employment law.
Visa / Passport requirements: Candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Austria and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract. Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure you meet the legal requirements to live and work in this country.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
FCDO does not pay for travel related expense incurred in interviews (including Security Check) or accept any financial risk, including cancelation or reschedule costs. The FCDO will not meet the costs connected with relocation if offered a position.
*Please note for more information on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment levels please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your language skill is going to be assessed.
To apply please copy and paste this link: https://fco.tal.net/vx/appcentre-ext/candidate/jobboard/vacancy/1/adv/
To help us track our recruitment effort, please specify on the application form/indicate in your cover letter where (globalvacancies.org) you saw this job posting.